Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    it's a worrying sign when you wake up feeling crap and you think to yourself 'no, I can't be ill, I don't have time'. I want to go back to bed but I have to write an essay about bloody sexual offences. Fun.

ReputationRep:
    I'm seriously considering dropping one of the courses I'm doing. This is not good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    I'm seriously considering dropping one of the courses I'm doing. This is not good.
    Why do you want to drop it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icysquall)
    Why do you want to drop it?
    Because it's hard, and it's lectured badly and the example sheets rely on me having done previous courses that were optional, or have badly written questions, and the subject matter is also incredibly boring. The only saving grace the course has is that it'll give me more options in the exam.

Dropping it will give me a hell of a lot more time to work on the courses that didn't go too well last term though.

ReputationRep:
    /moaning.

I have cider!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    /moaning.

I have cider!
    I have no booze. It is le sad. I want it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainfaery)
    I have no booze. It is le sad. I want it.
    I also have lemon Lipton Ice Tea, Sicilian Lemonade, strawberry milkshake, blueberry juice, apple and pear juice and white grape and peach juice. I spent a tenner today solely on fluid consumables :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    I also have lemon Lipton Ice Tea, Sicilian Lemonade, strawberry milkshake, blueberry juice, apple and pear juice and white grape and peach juice. I spent a tenner today solely on fluid consumables :tongue:
    What do you reckon I should get as "something interesting" for my friend's 18th at his house tonight? Something that tastes nice, and isn't too sophisticated for other teenagers to drink. Also that would be available in my local Morrisons. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    What do you reckon I should get as "something interesting" for my friend's 18th at his house tonight? Something that tastes nice, and isn't too sophisticated for other teenagers to drink. Also that would be available in my local Morrisons. :p:
    Cointreau? It's orange liqueur/brandy. Both very alcoholic and quite nice with mixers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    What's it about?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I just joined the society, I don't know if I should wait to be accepted before posting? But I don't know if I'll be informed about it when I become a member, so... :o:

Should I tell something about myself? Well, I'm a 22-year-old bi (or pan) woman living in Finland. I've applied to UK to study Sociology, currently study in Helsinki Sociology and Gender Studies.

And I'm jealous of the cider! Have nothing myself, except chocolate (which helps).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KiraMayz)
    What's it about?
    Geometry. So it's about curved embedded surfaces and exotic metrics (ie metrics that change their definition of distance based on where you're measuring the distance etc). It's truly awful. And lectured badly. Did I mention it was lectured badly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Cointreau? It's orange liqueur/brandy. Both very alcoholic and quite nice with mixers.
    Hmm, I shall investigate. Might be a bit too classy for some of my friends, though.

(Original post by ziik)
    Hi!

I just joined the society, I don't know if I should wait to be accepted before posting? But I don't know if I'll be informed about it when I become a member, so... :o:

Should I tell something about myself? Well, I'm a 22-year-old bi (or pan) woman living in Finland. I've applied to UK to study Sociology, currently study in Helsinki Sociology and Gender Studies.

And I'm jealous of the cider! Have nothing myself, except chocolate (which helps).
    Nah, joining the society doesn't seem to mean much other than a link next to your name (unless there's something I've missed :P. Welcome to the chat thread - we used to have a welcome poem, but I'm not sure anyone has that handily any more.

Where've you applied to in the UK? Chocolate sounds good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziik)
    Hi!

:hello:

Cider is good. I haven't eaten chocolate though in 5 and a half years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Geometry. So it's about curved embedded surfaces and exotic metrics (ie metrics that change their definition of distance based on where you're measuring the distance etc). It's truly awful. And lectured badly. Did I mention it was lectured badly?
    Sounds impossible to visualise

Im still having trouble getting to grips with 3D vector geometry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziik)
    Hi!

Welcome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KiraMayz)
    Sounds impossible to visualise

Im still having trouble getting to grips with 3D vector geometry.
    Yeah it is pretty hard to visualise, and to some extent you need to, which is a *****. Usually in pure maths you need no intuition for objects/spaces involved, just an understanding of the rules. Not so for Geometry though.

:tongue: Basically with vectors at degree level, you imagine it in 3D and then if it works just prove it for 3D then swap '3' for 'n'. 2D things don't come up very often, sadly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Yeah it is pretty hard to visualise, and to some extent you need to, which is a *****. Usually in pure maths you need no intuition for objects/spaces involved, just an understanding of the rules. Not so for Geometry though.

:tongue: Basically with vectors at degree level, you imagine it in 3D and then if it works just prove it for 3D then swap '3' for 'n'. 2D things don't come up very often, sadly.
    "n" dimensions ?! :eek3:

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Because it's hard, and it's lectured badly and the example sheets rely on me having done previous courses that were optional, or have badly written questions, and the subject matter is also incredibly boring. The only saving grace the course has is that it'll give me more options in the exam.

Dropping it will give me a hell of a lot more time to work on the courses that didn't go too well last term though.
    :hugs: That sounds horrible. I don't really know much about it, but it sounds like it wouldn't be too bad if you dropped it. You'd get more time to focus on other parts of the course without having to work doubly hard on this course because it's lectured badly etc.

:tea:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.