Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    In other news, yaaay! Someone just came to see me about getting me to do some genotyping for their lab, my job will become slightly more interesting! And I may get to meet Heston Blumenthal later!
    That's awesome. I love his ridiculously extravagant cooking. particularly the desserts.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Morning, gays. How are you?

I can hear the primary school down the road singing "Don't Stop Believing". Previously it was "Bad Romance".

(Original post by Laertes)
    Okay, so I stayed up all night reading for no real reason, and now I'm having bacon cooked for me. ******* score!

It's actually not that a ridiculous theory. I mean, it is ridiculous, but it's not that ridiculous, it's within the boundaries of possibility. That said, it's the New Jersey Senators, nobody cares about New Jersey.
    Yeah, but it's within the bounds of possibility that George Bush phoned up Scotland and got them to release the guy too. Ye cannae just decide everything you dislike is part of one big plot.

I approve of the bacon, though. I had Crunchy Nut Clusters this morning, they were not as exciting as the adverts had suggested.

In other news, yaaay! Someone just came to see me about getting me to do some genotyping for their lab, my job will become slightly more interesting! And I may get to meet Heston Blumenthal later!
    Are the two related? Is his next dish going to involve splicing various tasty animals together, with you as his beautiful assistant? :p:

ReputationRep:
    I hate dentists. Stop trying to have a conversation with me while your hands are in my mouth, you moron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Are the two related? Is his next dish going to involve splicing various tasty animals together, with you as his beautiful assistant? :p:
    They are not related :p: The genotyping is me assisting with research projects into Batten disease hehe. Heston's poking around our labs because he's doing a show on Channel 4 soonish about how diet affects mental health (with a view to improving the meals of submariners that are below sea for 3+ months), and in our department we just so happen to have an expert on mental health and nutrition hehe. It's a bit ridiculous though, they're in the main lab filming and the crew are saying things like "Can't you do this technique differently to make it a bit more exciting to film?" >< And the answer invariably comes back "Um... not really..."

Although I do approve of this splice tasty animal together to create extremely tasty chimeras Not sure about me being his beautiful assistant though :p:

(Original post by JRaphael)
    That's awesome. I love his ridiculously extravagant cooking. particularly the desserts.:yep:
    Hehe, it looks wonderful, and I do enjoy just how ridiculously over the top his methods are. But if I'm honest, I probably wouldn't pay for one of his meals, I'm not sure I could justify the cost, just for the OTT-ness.

My boss and I are daring eachother to go criticize his use of liquid nitrogen - He never uses the proper safety precautions! :rofl:

(Original post by icysquall)
    I hate dentists. Stop trying to have a conversation with me while your hands are in my mouth, you moron.
    Urgh, I hate that! I mean, seriously? Do you expect me to answer?

ReputationRep:
    I read/heard somewhere quite recently (I can't remember where, it's really annoying) about a dentist who kept talking to a patient, and then when the patient replied, the dentist sliced his mouth open :p:

ReputationRep:
    They are not related :p: The genotyping is me assisting with research projects into Batten disease hehe. Heston's poking around our labs because he's doing a show on Channel 4 soonish about how diet affects mental health (with a view to improving the meals of submariners that are below sea for 3+ months), and in our department we just so happen to have an expert on mental health and nutrition hehe. It's a bit ridiculous though, they're in the main lab filming and the crew are saying things like "Can't you do this technique differently to make it a bit more exciting to film?" >< And the answer invariably comes back "Um... not really..."

Although I do approve of this splice tasty animal together to create extremely tasty chimeras Not sure about me being his beautiful assistant though :p:

Hehe, it looks wonderful, and I do enjoy just how ridiculously over the top his methods are. But if I'm honest, I probably wouldn't pay for one of his meals, I'm not sure I could justify the cost, just for the OTT-ness.

My boss and I are daring eachother to go criticize his use of liquid nitrogen - He never uses the proper safety precautions! :rofl:
    I've been on a submarine. :cool: The food was alright, if I recall. When they go out on the proper long patrols, they use corridors as storage space and create a false floor of food boxes.

You should definately give him some risk assesment forms to fill in for his next meal. :p:

(Original post by Bezzler)
    I read/heard somewhere quite recently (I can't remember where, it's really annoying) about a dentist who kept talking to a patient, and then when the patient replied, the dentist sliced his mouth open :p:
    Nice cheerful story, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    Thanks for that. Really nice thing to know.

ReputationRep:
    A time to actually clean up the lab and wear the old stained lab-coats? :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that. Really nice thing to know.
    It was an FML, I remember now!

ReputationRep:
    I Have Nothing To Do.

ReputationRep:
    How long do you lot reckon clotted cream would survive outside a fridge? I have purchased scones, jam, clotted cream and a custard-cream-shaped tin of custard creams.

Also, I got my new student card. Now I need to find a passport photo somewhere to attach to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piprod01)
    A time to actually clean up the lab and wear the old stained lab-coats? :yep:
    I thought someone might worry about the labs being untidy, but apparently not :p: Heston is bad at science ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    I thought someone might worry about the labs being untidy, but apparently not :p: Heston is bad at science ¬_¬
    Heston is terrible at it! Labs are almost always untidy, the few exceptions are for things like publicity photos and TV and things like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piprod01)
    Heston is terrible at it! Labs are almost always untidy, the few exceptions are for things like publicity photos and TV and things like that.
    Well, it depends. If you work in an industry lab (like when I worked for Glaxo) the labs were pretty much always pristine, and the H&S officers are so inflexible that you can't get away with anything. In an academic lab (like wher eI work now) everything is a lot more laid back. I wouldn't say they're untidy (for the most part), but there is a bit more clutter and people are less likely to fret about it. It's waaaay more pleasant in academia!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughingwithpicasso)
    I Have Nothing To Do.
    Story of my life. Let me know when you find something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    Story of my life. Let me know when you find something
    I shall. In the mean time, I'll continue doing what I'm good at. Nada. :o:

ReputationRep:
    I should probably pack now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    I should probably pack now.
    :ditto: Where are you going?

ReputationRep:
    Really interesting video on HIV

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    Really interesting video on HIV
    I really enjoyed that. It's really frustrating that it's not as easy as saying "let's fix the problem". Sigh.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.