Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    What did you think of A Single Man? Personally I found it to be one of the most artistic films recently made, although I didn't find it as powerful as people made it out to be.
    I agree, pretty much. I thought it was extremely poetic and very well done, but I was left feeling it rather empty and incomplete.

(Original post by dbmag9)
    Morning, gays. How are we all today?
    Good ta. About to start the 'moving to London' process. :eek: Also planning trip to Brighton.

ReputationRep:
    I hate cameras behind traffic lights (how do you call those? They aren't really speed cameras, but when you drive over a red traffic light, they flash!

I didn't even drive over the light, but I did an emergency stop as soon as I saw the camera. I went past the light about 1m and it flashed. -.- I may now probably have to pay 125 Euros, get 4 points and may not drive for 4 weeks. Woohoo. :unimpressed: They may just rest the case as well because the second flash showed that I didn't move. Bleh.

How is everyone? I'm very excited to move in a month!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeyondandAbove)
    I hate cameras behind traffic lights (how do you call those? They aren't really speed cameras, but when you drive over a red traffic light, they flash!

I didn't even drive over the light, but I did an emergency stop as soon as I saw the camera. I went past the light about 1m and it flashed. -.- I may now probably have to pay 125 Euros, get 4 points and may not drive for 4 weeks. Woohoo. :unimpressed: They may just rest the case as well because the second flash showed that I didn't move. Bleh.

How is everyone? I'm very excited to move in a month!
    Don't have them here, the ones here are merely sensors to work out whether the lights should change or not

Hi Everyonee !! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abucha3)
    Hi Everyonee !! x
    Hiya! Have you filled in the members questionnaire? :devil:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Don't have them here, the ones here are merely sensors to work out whether the lights should change or not
    Yeah we do :p: My mum went through one once and got fined and 3 points!

Hi Everyonee !! x
    Hello! Welcome :wavey: Tell us about yourself!

ReputationRep:
    Why are Sundays so boring?

ReputationRep:
    Then you're lucky! We have loads of them here and they are *****es.

For the speed cameras in UK: there are always signs warning you and they flash you from the back, right?
    Do you also have mobile cameras?

Ours flash from the front and there is almost never a warning. :rolleyes:

Luckily I won't drive in the UK. :p:

ReputationRep:
    By law there have to be signs in areas where speed cameras are in operation. We have mobile cameras, and also average speed cameras that measure your speed over a set distance. However, many speed cameras are due to be turned off as they are council-run, and the Con-Dem cuts mean councils can no longer afford them.

ReputationRep:
    I've never understood why drivers are warned about where there are speed cameras, I've always thought it defeated the object of having the camera. I don't drive but most drivers I know slow down when they see them but then carry on speeding as soon as they're out of the cameras sight.

(Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Hello! Welcome :wavey: Tell us about yourself!
    Thanks

Well my name is Alex and I live in London. I'm 17 years old and I am about to start my second year of sixth form.

When it comes to sexuality, I can't actually define what I am. I am attracted to girls and had girlfriends and all that, but recently I am becoming more attracted to guys. I am not sure if I am bi (40% bi) or if these are my hormones because I am extremely horny :p:

I am a confusing person :cool: lol

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyonee !! x
    helllooo! :wavey:

I came back here to my house, the bloody dog is still barking and it is quarter past one at the moment, very annoying. :unimpressed:
    how is everyone doing? I seem to have lost track slightly of this thread :rolleyes:
    and I am tempted to watch a single man, I shall order it online, since piracy doesnt seem to have penetrated this film yet, at least in the world of my internet would reach :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ash_D)
    I've never understood why drivers are warned about where there are speed cameras, I've always thought it defeated the object of having the camera. I don't drive but most drivers I know slow down when they see them but then carry on speeding as soon as they're out of the cameras sight.
    The point of the camera (officially) is not to catch people who are speeding, but to prevent people from speeding in areas that are known for accidents caused or made worse by speeding. So the idea is, if you put the camera there and make it visible with prior warning, people will slow down for it, thus meaning they're driving slower through the dangerous area. Ideally they should be keeping to the speed limit all the time, but that's just not going to happen, so at least this way you can make sure people won't speed through accident blackspots.

All fine in theory, but that's kind of defeated by councils putting speed cameras in places where they are really not necessary, like in the middle of a straight section of road where there's never been an accident etc. Also, some statistics recently released have shown that the introduction of speed cameras has actually slowed down the rate of decrease of traffic accident fatalities, so go figure.

ReputationRep:
    Also! Gays! I realized I hadn't actually filled out the member questionnaire, so I have done so now for your reading pleasure: Clicky!

ReputationRep:
    I totally command prompted the **** out of Python just now.

ReputationRep:
    Rather you than me! Wow.

Had myself banned during revision period so I'd study more.

Also I passed my driving test, nothing much else than that
    so many people say that :unimpressed: :p:

welldone, it's a great feeling isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetnesspink)
    I couldn't watch that video last night because YouTube wasn't cooperating. I just watched it now... Holy hell! HOT.
    I know :awesome:

I have it favourited :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Haha someone just called me an arrogant toad. Love it!

All because other people didn't seem to understand the point of my post. If things are written in black and white and you don't understand... then don't blame me for that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    The point of the camera (officially) is not to catch people who are speeding, but to prevent people from speeding in areas that are known for accidents caused or made worse by speeding. So the idea is, if you put the camera there and make it visible with prior warning, people will slow down for it, thus meaning they're driving slower through the dangerous area. Ideally they should be keeping to the speed limit all the time, but that's just not going to happen, so at least this way you can make sure people won't speed through accident blackspots.

All fine in theory, but that's kind of defeated by councils putting speed cameras in places where they are really not necessary, like in the middle of a straight section of road where there's never been an accident etc. Also, some statistics recently released have shown that the introduction of speed cameras has actually slowed down the rate of decrease of traffic accident fatalities, so go figure.
    I never thought of it like that and it makes sense now.

ReputationRep:
    Lalalalalaaaaa. What is everyone doing?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.