Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Morning, gays. Yesterday I went out (straight) clubbing in Brighton, which was good fun, although we took a very slow train back at 4 in the morning so I got to sleep at about 6.30, and slept through (with a break to imbibe some water and feet the cat/fish) 'till 2.30 pm. I think I'll probably pass on going out again tonight.

On a related note: is anyone here going to Brighton Pride on Saturday?

(Original post by Gesar)
    Unless they insulted cats :p:
    You're learning.

(Original post by trm90)
    The Scissor Sisters are too amazing
    :yep:

(Original post by Laertes)
    It doesn't say that (at least not according to the BBC), the judge has said that its not constitutional for California (and presumably any state) to specifically ban homosexual couples from marrying. It doesn't call for legalised gay marriage so much as condemn the banning of gay marriage.
    Lawyers make this **** way too confusing.
    To be fair, it's not the lawyers so much as the way US law is divided into national bits and state bits, I think. Still, it's good when the Americans' blind love of the Constitution has a positive result for a change (rather than them somehow interpreting it to say they should all have guns).

(Original post by darkwolf0139)
    Ugh, my results arrived.

I got an A in Physics and Maths; B in Computing and Chemistry; D in English.
    :woo: Awesome, well done!

(Original post by sweetnesspink)
    I cannot believe how stressed I am/ I can't eat and my heart is racing.

Anyway I let the other girls know that I won't be taking the room. For a few different reasons. I'm meeting this other girl (the gay one) tomorrow and I think it'll work out. If it doesn't I'll spend Tuesday (I'm in Glasgow all day) flat hunting. I will find somewhere! I just need to stop getting so stressed about it.
    Don't stress about it, really. You are clearly an awesome potential flatmate to be headhunted by two groups simultaneously. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    So, you're telling me you dropped out of the house (in favour of another one which you haven't seen) which had a bunch of lovely people (if they're so lovely, why would they care if you're gay?), a good location and 'your favourite type of flat' because a bunch of lesbians offered you a room. Right... :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughingwithpicasso)
    So, you're telling me you dropped out of the house (in favour of another one which you haven't seen) which had a bunch of lovely people (if they're so lovely, why would they care if you're gay?), a good location and 'your favourite type of flat' because a bunch of lesbians offered you a room. Right... :/
    No that's not what I said at all.

The other flat I haven't seen either and I met the girls for all of 1 hour.

The new flat is in a better location. Is cheaper. Is bigger. And is also a tenement. And I've seen pictures, the other flat I haven't even seen. AND as a plus point the two girls that live there are gay.

That's what I said.

And lovely girls doesn't = okay with lesbians. I know a lot of hetero girls who love gay guys but are really uncomfortable with gay girls.

ReputationRep:
    No that's not what I said at all.

The other flat I haven't seen either and I met the girls for all of 1 hour.

The new flat is in a better location. Is cheaper. Is bigger. And is also a tenement. And I've seen pictures, the other flat I haven't even seen. AND as a plus point the two girls that live there are gay.

That's what I said.

And lovely girls doesn't = okay with lesbians. I know a lot of hetero girls who love gay guys but are really uncomfortable with gay girls.
    She makes a good point here, and this is where homophobia gets really bizarre. Guys who don't like gays are at least honest about their homophobia... but girls are much more secretive about it, which is hardly surprising.

I dunno about you guys, but I'm really glad I'm living with gay people (and a couple of straight people as well). I don't judge people and I'm easy to get along with, but I find it MUCH easier to be myself around gay people. I know for a fact that many straight people may appear to be comfortable with your sexuality, but I like it when people can actually relate to me from the most fundamental level.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, maybe my experiences are very different. I don't ever feel uncomfortable being around anyone as a result of my sexuality. Thinking like that would be such a hindrance to my life - and I'd start to resent people who were heterosexual because they would be making it difficult for me to by myself. All of my friends - heterosexual or otherwise - do appear to be comfortable with my sexuality and that's because they are. But then again, my sexuality is something that is rarely relevant to any aspect of my life that it's unnoticeable. On top of that, I can't relate to other people because they're gay because it's such an abstract notion to me to consider that part of me relatable. Just like I wouldn't think people with blue eyes would necessarily have much in common with me, it's the same with gays.

But, can you elaborate on what you mean by relating to you on the most fundamental level?

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak from experience as I don't have any gay friends but I understand how it would be easier to hang around other gay people as you have something in common that's an important factor in your life. It'll also be easier not having the initial worry of being accepted by someone when they find out you're gay.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'm lucky in that everyone I've ever met has never cared (neither have I ever been worried, haha). Because they shouldn't. Also, for me, it's not an important factor in my life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm making chilli con carne, but because of my dislike for kidney beans and the need to use up other vegetables, it's looking a lot like the bolognese of a couple of days ago... But this time it'll have rice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KiraMayz)
    I got an e-mail from Imperial college yesterday in which they said that I won't be able to switch course from Chemistry to Aeronautical Engineering.

:mad2:
    :mad:

I don't know what the **** they expect me to do. :cry:
    And I got an email from Edinburgh that they couldn't accept transfers this year and may not be able to do that in the 2011 cycle as well.. but if I do want to try, I should do that through UCAS - but they may also just look at my school qualifications. :rolleyes:

I will try anyways. Someone here a PS Helper?

Aaaw no!
    :console:
    I don't know what they expect you to do! Seriously.. uni people can be so harsh sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    I dunno about you guys, but I'm really glad I'm living with gay people (and a couple of straight people as well). I don't judge people and I'm easy to get along with, but I find it MUCH easier to be myself around gay people. I know for a fact that many straight people may appear to be comfortable with your sexuality, but I like it when people can actually relate to me from the most fundamental level.
    I know a couple of people like that. They're either all tories or christian though. And I find it reasonably easy to figure out who isn't completely ok with it anyway. (Haven't found a (non christian) female who isn't yet though!)

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'm lucky in that everyone I've ever met has never cared (neither have I ever been worried, haha). Because they shouldn't. Also, for me, it's not an important factor in my life.
    Sorry, just for clarification... but is the factor being gay, or making sure that your friends accept you?

EDIT: Oh, and what I mean by the fundamental level (incoming long paragraph):

I suppose that sexuality isn't that important to everyone, but at our age, I strongly believe it is HUGELY important. We can try and deny it, but sexuality forms a big part of our 'psyche', and I think it's important to know people who are going through the same process of exploring such a sexuality. I think it's healthy to compare and share experiences with other gay friends - whether it's to do with sex or relationships - because it's fun, it can make you more confident, and most importantly, it's not the same sort of thing you can casually talk about with straight people. With girls, sure, sometimes - but it's really not the same thing. Like when you have questions about what to do or how to do it - who's really going to give you a more informed answer, a gay guy or a straight guy/girl?

Regarding relationships, we are perhaps more similar to heterosexual people, and you can definitely talk about relationship issues with anyone. But when two people of the same gender are put into the equation, issues unique to us can arise - for example, it is fairly evident that gay couples are much more frequently agreeing to open relationships at a fairly young age as well. Ask any heterosexual couple and they wouldn't even consider the idea of one. Or as another example, lesbians tend to form strong relationships quickly, and are often misunderstood for this.

This is what I mean by 'fundamental level'. Relating to people who genuinely have the same experience and who are actually affected by such things personally.

Sorry for the bunch of generalisations by the way! But those are my thoughts on the matter. I hope it made sense!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, maybe my experiences are very different. I don't ever feel uncomfortable being around anyone as a result of my sexuality. Thinking like that would be such a hindrance to my life - and I'd start to resent people who were heterosexual because they would be making it difficult for me to by myself. All of my friends - heterosexual or otherwise - do appear to be comfortable with my sexuality and that's because they are. But then again, my sexuality is something that is rarely relevant to any aspect of my life that it's unnoticeable. On top of that, I can't relate to other people because they're gay because it's such an abstract notion to me to consider that part of me relatable. Just like I wouldn't think people with blue eyes would necessarily have much in common with me, it's the same with gays.

But, can you elaborate on what you mean by relating to you on the most fundamental level?
    For me, although my friends (barring one or two who have are religious, but don't let it really affect our friendship) are genuinely fine with me being gay, I do find that, among guys at least, a lot of conversations centre around noticing attractive girls and talking about fit celebrities, which does mean there's a sizable part of the conversation I don't really relate to. A lot of the time all the guys I'm with will suddenly stop talking, leaving me slightly confused until I figure out that a pair of breasts must have walked past.

(Original post by Gesar)
    I'm making chilli con carne, but because of my dislike for kidney beans and the need to use up other vegetables, it's looking a lot like the bolognese of a couple of days ago... But this time it'll have rice.
    What have you got against kidney beans? :hmmm: Beans are excellent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    Sorry, just for clarification... but is the factor being gay, or making sure that your friends accept you?
    Being gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    For me, although my friends (barring one or two who have are religious, but don't let it really affect our friendship) are genuinely fine with me being gay, I do find that, among guys at least, a lot of conversations centre around noticing attractive girls and talking about fit celebrities, which does mean there's a sizable part of the conversation I don't really relate to. A lot of the time all the guys I'm with will suddenly stop talking, leaving me slightly confused until I figure out that a pair of breasts must have walked past.

What have you got against kidney beans? :hmmm: Beans are excellent.
    Wow, you're a 'lad' :p:

All beans suck. I really dislike the texture, so :dontknow: They all taste the same, whether they're red, maroon, green, yellow... But they unfortunately all have the same texture as well.

Runner beans are alright though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't consider it an important part of who I am either but it is an element of my life that I need my friends to accept.

Like I said I find girls can be nice as pie and really friendly and open but then have issues with lesbians.

So again this flat is better in lots of ways the fact that the current occupants are also gay is a perk rather than the main attraction. It just means I don't have to stress about coming out to a bunch of hetero girls. I was awake til 4am worrying about it, no exaggeration!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Wow, you're a 'lad' :p:

All beans suck. I really dislike the texture, so :dontknow: They all taste the same, whether they're red, maroon, green, yellow... But they unfortunately all have the same texture as well.

Runner beans are alright though.
    Hey, I went to Zante, I'm clearly a lad. :cool:

Well, not all beans have the same texture (broad beans are quite funky), although all chilli-appropriate ones are pretty similar. Beans aren't a deal-breaker like cats are, though.

ReputationRep:
    Being gay.
    I don't consider it an important part of who I am either but it is an element of my life that I need my friends to accept.

Like I said I find girls can be nice as pie and really friendly and open but then have issues with lesbians.

So again this flat is better in lots of ways the fact that the current occupants are also gay is a perk rather than the main attraction. It just means I don't have to stress about coming out to a bunch of hetero girls. I was awake til 4am worrying about it, no exaggeration!
    That's the thing though, guys. We can try and tell ourselves it's not important but it IS important. We might not think it is, but our sexuality does shape a lot of what we like to do, see, who we like to meet, etc. It can be subtle ('straight acting' rugby players; lipstick lesbians etc) or obvious (queens, butch girls, etc) but whether you like it or not, your sexuality will always have an important role in your life.

Think about the fact that your family had to come to terms with your sexuality, even if they were open about it. Think about the fact that by definition, because you are gay, it is apparently controversial to many people.

Think about what it'll be like when you want to settle down when you're older. Want kids? Everything to do with having children is more complicated because we're gay. Want to have a genuine marriage? You might not have one, because it hasn't been accepted.

Agh, sorry for the rant guys - I sound like I'm pushing my own 'homosexual agenda' here :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with everything you're saying. It is a HUGE part of who I am. I guess what I should have said is it's not THE most important part of who I am. But it is important enough for me to not want to hide it or be afraid of telling people.

I hope meeting this girl/seeing this flat works out tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with everything you're saying. It is a HUGE part of who I am. I guess what I should have said is it's not THE most important part of who I am. But it is important enough for me to not want to hide it or be afraid of telling people.

I hope meeting this girl/seeing this flat works out tomorrow!
    Coolio :yy: And yeah our sexuality definitely isn't the most important thing hehe. Good luck tomorrow by the way!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Tom :yep:

(Original post by dbmag9)
    Hey, I went to Zante, I'm clearly a lad. :cool:

Well, not all beans have the same texture (broad beans are quite funky), although all chilli-appropriate ones are pretty similar. Beans aren't a deal-breaker like cats are, though.
    Psht, fine. I love cats.

(Agape, not eros)

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.