Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    York is a gorgeous city, but the university is in suburbia.

That is about all I know about York uni. Oh, that, and that has a loose collegiate system (but, similar to the the colleges at Durham and Lancaster Universities, they're just glammed up halls of residence, you don't get taught in your college a la Oxbridge.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crisps)
    Oh I've been around, just too busy for an internet life :p:

*chains to thread*
    :afraid: just as well I am hench and can break free unless Dalimyr bans me from all of the forums except for this thread :shiftyrun:

you were meant to be training me or something anyway :hand:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Paving)
    :afraid: just as well I am hench and can break free unless Dalimyr bans me from all of the forums except for this thread :shiftyrun:

you were meant to be training me or something anyway :hand:
    Oh, you mean your initiation? That's why I've chained you up :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, you mean your initiation? That's why I've chained you up :p:
    initiation - that's the word :lovedup:

i better get working out if im going to get out of this mess :dumbells:

ReputationRep:
    G'night, gays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    What's everyone's sudden obsession with going to London without me? Where'd you go?
    I go into London 5 days a week for work :p: But after I finished today I went and met up with Chris and a friend outside the Tate, we walked around Southbank a bit, tubed to Regent's Park and visited the Kenyan High Commission, walked to Tottenham Court Road to the amazing off licence and bought delicious liqueur, tubed to Camden and walked around there ogling many hot guys and eating far too much ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    I go into London 5 days a week for work :p: But after I finished today I went and met up with Chris and a friend outside the Tate, we walked around Southbank a bit, tubed to Regent's Park and visited the Kenyan High Commission, walked to Tottenham Court Road to the amazing off licence and bought delicious liqueur, tubed to Camden and walked around there ogling many hot guys and eating far too much ^^
    You just described pretty much every place I'm normally in :p:

I have to work in Essex 4 days a week now. Boo.

ReputationRep:
    "Don't ask, don't tell" is the biggest piece of ***** policy to grace the United States. I would be absolutely terrified to be a gay soldier in the US army. Imagine being surrounded by guys talking about their girlfriends or wives or latest 'adventures', whilst you can only sit there and keep your mouth shut so you avoid getting discharged. Then you have two options: pretend to like girls for as long as you mentally can, or face harassment from your bloody peers because you keep your mouth shut. It's ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    "Don't ask, don't tell" is the biggest piece of ***** policy to grace the United States. I would be absolutely terrified to be a gay soldier in the US army. Imagine being surrounded by guys talking about their girlfriends or wives or latest 'adventures', whilst you can only sit there and keep your mouth shut so you avoid getting discharged. Then you have two options: pretend to like girls for as long as you mentally can, or face harassment from your bloody peers because you keep your mouth shut. It's ridiculous.
    Don't Ask Don't Tell pisses me off more than Prop. 8 did.
    The amount of talented, well-trained people that have been discharged because they're gay, or even worse, because they're suspected of being gay.

ReputationRep:
    York is a gorgeous city, but the university is in suburbia.

That is about all I know about York uni. Oh, that, and that has a loose collegiate system (but, similar to the the colleges at Durham and Lancaster Universities, they're just glammed up halls of residence, you don't get taught in your college a la Oxbridge.)
    Some idiot keeps sending me private messages regarding my comment on York university. He continues to neg rep me (THREE TIMES) because I commented on the university of York being a prestigious university. He supposedly goes to York university and was trying to suggest it wasn't prestigious. Why are people so odd?

I've put him on ignore him but hopefully he'll get bored before I go into neg rep. There I was thinking there was a correlation between people with very high rep and maturity. How naive I was...

Sometimes I hate TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    You just described pretty much every place I'm normally in :p:

I have to work in Essex 4 days a week now. Boo.
    Sounds good :p: Apart from the Essex bit. Sucky!

I work in Denmark Hill, whilst not quite as bad as Essex it's hardly the glitzy city life I was hoping for :p:

ReputationRep:
    Morning, gays. How are we all today?

(Original post by trm90)
    It is an extremely foolish rule. But it'll probably go in the not-too-distant future, thanks to some Americans not being complete idiots, and I'd expect some changing attitudes from Americans who've served with British (and other) forces, realising that letting gays fight isn't actually a problem.

EDIT: Having read the comic (in the link), I do have to admit that, providing you accept that blokes liking blokes damages unit cohesion, they do at least make a decent attempt at being sensible in most other regards. The harrassment bit in particular was done well, I thought.

ANOTHER EDIT: I wonder what the US would make of the British Army (and RN and RAF) marching at London Pride? :P:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    There is a sensible reason behind it though! http://www.theonion.com/video/gays-t...general,14158/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    From what I hear, most soldiers don't really care and turn a blind eye to the policy anyway - there are a few, mainly old guys opposed to homosexuals in the Army. It does make a very easy way out for someone regretting joining.

But yes, it is a disgrace and I think it is likely to be over-turned fairly soon. There is only so long they can keep using the same recycled arguments that were used to stop women and black people joining.

ReputationRep:
    Morning, gays. How are we all today?

It is an extremely foolish rule. But it'll probably go in the not-too-distant future, thanks to some Americans not being complete idiots, and I'd expect some changing attitudes from Americans who've served with British (and other) forces, realising that letting gays fight isn't actually a problem.

EDIT: Having read the comic (in the link), I do have to admit that, providing you accept that blokes liking blokes damages unit cohesion, they do at least make a decent attempt at being sensible in most other regards. The harrassment bit in particular was done well, I thought.

ANOTHER EDIT: I wonder what the US would make of the British Army (and RN and RAF) marching at London Pride? :P:
    I agree with you on the harassment bit. I am glad they take very serious measures with it so you can do your job well, and obviously interpersonal relations would risk making the guy a worse soldier. I'd be okay with 'don't ask, don't tell' if the US Army told their soldiers not to even talk about their partners or girls they've been dating altogether, but that's not the case unfortunately (and it would be a little extreme to do that). I feel like DADT is more of a lazy policy than anything. The last thing the US army want to worry about is their soldiers' sexualities, so they introduced DADT to shut everyone up I guess!

ReputationRep:
    Uggghhh... kinda odd: I realised I've not eaten anything in a day and a half, but I feel ill in my stomach and don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    I agree with you on the harassment bit. I am glad they take very serious measures with it so you can do your job well, and obviously interpersonal relations would risk making the guy a worse soldier. I'd be okay with 'don't ask, don't tell' if the US Army told their soldiers not to even talk about their partners or girls they've been dating altogether, but that's not the case unfortunately (and it would be a little extreme to do that). I feel like DADT is more of a lazy policy than anything. The last thing the US army want to worry about is their soldiers' sexualities, so they introduced DADT to shut everyone up I guess!
    Even if no-one were allowed to talk about their sex-lives, what about when some soldiers bring their wives to a passing-out parade? DADT forces people to hide a large part of their lives from people who are supposed to be working together with, and that's why it's wrong.

I don't think it's really a 'lazy' policy per se; they intelligently sidestep some accusations of homophobia by claiming to be talking about activity rather than inclination, which is one of the reasons it's survived so long. But at the end of the day it's a harmful policy for the reasons I said above.

If they didn't want to worry about soldiers' sexualities, they wouldn't have rules to discharge them because of it.

ReputationRep:
    Even if no-one were allowed to talk about their sex-lives, what about when some soldiers bring their wives to a passing-out parade? DADT forces people to hide a large part of their lives from people who are supposed to be working together with, and that's why it's wrong.

I don't think it's really a 'lazy' policy per se; they intelligently sidestep some accusations of homophobia by claiming to be talking about activity rather than inclination, which is one of the reasons it's survived so long. But at the end of the day it's a harmful policy for the reasons I said above.

If they didn't want to worry about soldiers' sexualities, they wouldn't have rules to discharge them because of it.
    At the end of the day, if you tell your commanding officer you're homosexual then you will be discharged. How that can still be the case in this day and age is mind-boggling.

Sometimes I think of all the homophobia still present in society and I wonder how I manage to be such a happy person* :moon:

*Then I remember sex and booze.

Hey gays. If anyone was planning on watching Knight and Day, I have to warn you it's pretty rubbish. Not very funny, and the action's not amazing. Also Cruise only takes his shirt off once and he's pretty much offscreen. :p:

In other news, I have now seen so many wierd friend coincidences over Facebook that I am no longer surprised.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That was brought on by seeing someone who knows you, so you should feel honoured. :yep:

I approve of your Game of Life avatar. :cool:

Have you met him before? If you have, I don't think it's unreasonable to tell your sister (and indeed him) that he's not your type. It's a bit strange for your sister to be annoyed about it, I'd have thought.
    Thanks. I thought it was cool. And goes well with my signature pic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    At the end of the day, if you tell your commanding officer you're homosexual then you will be discharged. How that can still be the case in this day and age is mind-boggling.

Sometimes I think of all the homophobia still present in society and I wonder how I manage to be such a happy person* :moon:

*Then I remember sex and booze.
    Be happy because you live in a country which isn't quite as stupid, and because the countries which are seem to be getting better rather than worse. :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.