Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Ash_D)
    Is it rude of me to not want to put money towards a tv license with my housemates next year as I don't watch tv very often?
    I wouldn't say it's rude. I would understand you. In fact, I wouldn't even have a TV.

But it might create 'friction', especially at such an early stage. Of course, you could ask for a compromise on their part for something. Like letting you bring guys over late at night :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laertes)
    Maybe...

That's really weak
    Hoops are tasty though.
    If you had the patience to manouver all the fiddly pieces, that could be an amusing way to flirt with someone. :p:

(Original post by Ash_D)
    The only tv I watch is holby city and that's on iplayer and during my first year of uni I never watched live tv at all. A part of me thinks I should just pay them to stop them moaning but then I kind of think that if I do that they'll use it as an oppurtunity to take advantage in the future.
    I don't think they'd take advantage of you simply because you're paying for the TV license, but I can imagine not paying could lead to annoying passive-aggressive situations where you can't sit in the same room as the TV for fear of 'stealing' some viewing. Besides, you might develop a TV-watching habit this year, who knows?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ash_D)
    The only tv I watch is holby city and that's on iplayer and during my first year of uni I never watched live tv at all. A part of me thinks I should just pay them to stop them moaning but then I kind of think that if I do that they'll use it as an oppurtunity to take advantage in the future.
    How do you mean take advantage? To be honest a few quid for the TV license isn't worth getting in the argument before you've even moved in, if they were then gonna get sky and expect you to pay then I could understand the issue but just for the TV license you might as well pay up and get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    If you had the patience to manouver all the fiddly pieces, that could be an amusing way to flirt with someone. :p:
    That would be epic but it would take ages.
    Anyway, bed now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    How do you mean take advantage? To be honest a few quid for the TV license isn't worth getting in the argument before you've even moved in, if they were then gonna get sky and expect you to pay then I could understand the issue but just for the TV license you might as well pay up and get on with it.
    That makes a lot of sense. I'll just pay it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    I was living in a town called Quidersbach, near Kaisersloutern. (spelling may be vastly inaccurate). Nice enough area, but their Oktoberfest was a small village one and I wanted to go to the big Munich one
    At least you had an Oktoberfest over there. :p:
    I will miss it again this year.

But I do love living almost in the centre of Germany. :yep: Frankfurt ftw :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laertes)
    That would be epic but it would take ages.
    Anyway, bed now
    Night night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ash_D)
    That makes a lot of sense. I'll just pay it.
    Don't worry if you feel like you may be wasting your money - I felt like that too but then ended up watching TV with my mates pretty often. It's not the shows themselves you necessarily want to watch, but it's really fun to watch music or movies or whatever generic drama show with your housemates

ReputationRep:
    I'm off. G'night, gays.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by BeyondandAbove)
    At least you had an Oktoberfest over there. :p:
    I will miss it again this year.

But I do love living almost in the centre of Germany. :yep: Frankfurt ftw :p:
    I was meant to go this year to the munich one, but due to my mum stealing all my money andf kicking me out (again) it wont be possible I have tickets but not even enough money to get to the airport, let alone enough money to spend there.

ReputationRep:
    I've lately been going through cycles of low and high self-esteem... A few hours ago I felt good, now I feel bad again. It's annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Hi *waves nervously*

I'm kinda new here. I'm also kinda new to people knowing I'm bi :p: not everyone does, just my closest friends

So... sup guys?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by tinkxxx)
    Hi *waves nervously*

I'm kinda new here. I'm also kinda new to people knowing I'm bi :p: not everyone does, just my closest friends

So... sup guys?
    Hello Nice to meet you. Dont be nervous, we're all nice and friendly

Its still a relatively few people who know I'm bi as well.

Anyway, nice to meet you

ReputationRep:
    I was meant to go this year to the munich one, but due to my mum stealing all my money andf kicking me out (again) it wont be possible I have tickets but not even enough money to get to the airport, let alone enough money to spend there.
    Oh no. Why did she do that?? Because you're bi?

I'd be gutted. But that isn't even the priority now.. :console: how are you coping?

ReputationRep:
    Hi *waves nervously*

So... sup guys?
    Ignore the above poster. I'm not nice and friendly. :p: Naah, just kidding.
    Tell us something about you. Your friends reacted well, I take it?

ReputationRep:
    Hi *waves nervously*

So... sup guys?
    :hugs:
    Heya, there! Not much is up at the moment... I think everyone else is sleeping, or having a life. Dx

WELCOMES!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the welcoming!

And yes, my friends reacted well. As a matter of fact, I only told one two days ago and she wants to go out on Sunday so I can tell her all about it and she can be there for me I'm so relieved, but I'm keeping it between the few who know for now because others may not be as supportive. I'm unsure whether or not to be open and honest when I start uni next month. I'll be in a place where no one knows me so it might be a fresh start. What do you guys think?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by BeyondandAbove)
    Oh no. Why did she do that?? Because you're bi?

I'd be gutted. But that isn't even the priority now.. :console: how are you coping?
    No, she doesn't even know. Idk why she did it. 4th time shes kicked me out so far. Oh well.

I'm staying with some friends in portsmouth, so all is well really.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Thanks for all the welcoming!

And yes, my friends reacted well. As a matter of fact, I only told one two days ago and she wants to go out on Sunday so I can tell her all about it and she can be there for me I'm so relieved, but I'm keeping it between the few who know for now because others may not be as supportive. I'm unsure whether or not to be open and honest when I start uni next month. I'll be in a place where no one knows me so it might be a fresh start. What do you guys think?
    Go for it. From my experience the fear of what people will think is bigger than the reality. A lot of people simply wont care tbh. Plus, anyone who does think its a bad thing doesn't really deserve to be your friend anyway surely.

ReputationRep:
    No, she doesn't even know. Idk why she did it. 4th time shes kicked me out so far. Oh well.

I'm staying with some friends in portsmouth, so all is well really.
    Maybe it's a case of "you're old enough. take care of yourself and get your own money!" or something. oO

Good friends!

Hey, that's cool!
    And I would totally go for it. They won't really care at uni.
    I never made a big fuss out of it and just went with the flow (not really outing myself, but talking about ex-girlfriends and the like).. so not even the homophobics said anything to me! But then again I think for girls it's different then for boys. Meh.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.