Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Haha for the record Tony Blair is straight. I just wanted to see if Paddy reacted to a previous Prime Minister being bisexual, obviously not. :p:

ReputationRep:
    It took me over 19 years to realise how amazing coffee is. I realise the error of my ways now as I'm taking advantage of the coffee machine my dad bought while I was away.

Also I'm awake before noon, this is a cause for celebration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    Haha for the record Tony Blair is straight. I just wanted to see if Paddy reacted to a previous Prime Minister being bisexual, obviously not. :p:
    I'm not that clueless about politics

(Original post by icysquall)
    It took me over 19 years to realise how amazing coffee is. I realise the error of my ways now as I'm taking advantage of the coffee machine my dad bought while I was away.

Also I'm awake before noon, this is a cause for celebration.
    I bought a coffee machine on the weekend. Coffee is lovely :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    22 is not old :dry:

And tory-bashing irritates the **** out of me. I'm an independent so I like to keep open minded, but the amount of utter vitriol I saw on facebook during the election towards the Tories was ridiculous. People say that young Tories are just voting the same as their mummies and daddies, but from what I read it seemed that most people had no idea about the policies and issues in question.
    Well, I resent that you appear to be tarring me with the same brush.
    And SERIOUSLY. Take a look at America. The bloody Democrats are more conservative than our Conservatives, and the Republicans are more like the BNP. And now there are Lib Dem supporters who are turning against their party because of the coalition. WTF. So you would have preferred a pure Tory government or some sort of limbo where there was no governing party despite the UK's rather urgent debt situation?
    I don't really care about America. The democrats over there are the best of a bad bunch, you can't do better. And I would have preferred the Lib Dems not to go into coalition, yes. The debt situation is painted as urgent by our goverment, you have to remember that the Cleggeron is the only entity in the world cutting as hard or as fast. There would have been a year's grace (to keep in line with the rest of the G20) in which the conservatives could have kept things ticking over, slowly reducing spending, and in which time they could have worked out deals with the other parties for cutting measures.

And I didn't turn against the Lib Dems because they went into coalition with the tories (would have preferred overall that Rainbow Coalition, but I can see why it wouldn't have worked with the Labour party as it was). I can see why they would. But I am turning against them because of the piss-poor deal they got, and what they have failed to do against the tide of tory ideology since they got into power. And it's not really turning against the lib dems, the councillors and bank-bench MPs seem to be alright. It's just Clegg, Laws, Alexander and Cable.
    I just cannot understand how people in the UK can get so worked up over this. People need to chill the **** out.
    Laertes and I were stating the facts about the tory voting record not changing when the Labour one did, bringing in the tradition of them being the homophobic party. You're the one that is being overtly antagonistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    I bought a coffee machine on the weekend. Coffee is lovely :yep:
    I'm seriously considering nicking my parents' coffee make when I go back to uni. Or i could just buy one myself. Though then I'd worry that my housemates would break it, so I'd have to keep it in my room like a crazy person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    And now there are Lib Dem supporters who are turning against their party because of the coalition. WTF. So you would have preferred a pure Tory government or some sort of limbo where there was no governing party despite the UK's rather urgent debt situation?
    It's probably more to do with the fact that the Lib Dems have spent years saying they'd be the change the people want and deserve, but as soon as they've gained power they've dropped damn near all of their core-policies and adopted the Conservatives policies. There's an element of betrayal to those who voted for them in hope of a change.

ReputationRep:
    I'm seriously considering nicking my parents' coffee make when I go back to uni. Or i could just buy one myself. Though then I'd worry that my housemates would break it, so I'd have to keep it in my room like a crazy person.
    Will you be grinding your own beans? So to speak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)

I don't really care about America. The democrats over there are the best of a bad bunch, you can't do better. And I would have preferred the Lib Dems not to go into coalition, yes. The debt situation is painted as urgent by our goverment, you have to remember that the Cleggeron is the only entity in the world cutting as hard or as fast. There would have been a year's grace (to keep in line with the rest of the G20) in which the conservatives could have kept things ticking over, slowly reducing spending, and in which time they could have worked out deals with the other parties for cutting measures.

And I didn't turn against the Lib Dems because they went into coalition with the tories (would have preferred overall that Rainbow Coalition, but I can see why it wouldn't have worked with the Labour party as it was). I can see why they would. But I am turning against them because of the piss-poor deal they got, and what they have failed to do against the tide of tory ideology since they got into power. And it's not really turning against the lib dems, the councillors and bank-bench MPs seem to be alright. It's just Clegg, Laws, Alexander and Cable.

Laertes and I were stating the facts about the tory voting record not changing when the Labour one did, bringing in the tradition of them being the homophobic party. You're the one that is being overtly antagonistic.
    To add my two penny's worth to the discussion, i voted for the Lib Dems and feel betrayed by the ConDem coalition so far. The Lib Dems aren't doing anything to in any way stem the tide of Tory ********. The cuts are ridiculous. We're doing pretty much the same thing that Ireland did and Ireland are now well and truly up the economic river of crap without a paddle. It just won't work. The MoJ is cutting 2bn (which is actually below the the recommended cuts of 25-40% across all departments) and that's going to seriously affect access to justice, which is already pretty **** I might add, because cuts to legal aid budgets are going to made. Factor in the fact that cuts are going to have to be made to prisons and the courts, we're going to have a big problem on our hands. Then we have the Tory policy that all beaurocracy is evil and must be got rid of. Yes, it's excessive in some areas but we need some of it surely. Take the axing of the Audit Commission as an example. The Tories have decided that each local council can choose the private company that does its audit for them, which completely defeats the point of an external audit. It's ridiculous. Myriad other annoying things such as the whole bounty hunters (well, credit companies, but bounty hunters sounds cooler) after people committing benefit fraud, when that only accounts for £1bn, which is small change relatively speaking.

(Original post by Gesar)
    Will you be grinding your own beans? So to speak.
    Oh god no, that sounds like far too much effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laertes)
    It's probably more to do with the fact that the Lib Dems have spent years saying they'd be the change the people want and deserve, but as soon as they've gained power they've dropped damn near all of their core-policies and adopted the Conservatives policies. There's an element of betrayal to those who voted for them in hope of a change.
    True, but it's not like the Lib Dems could have kept most of their policies when they're a minority in a coalition.

Idk, I think this pretty much sums up my opinion of politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    I googled 'is Tony Blair bisexual' after I read that post...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    I'm not though, I was talking about people I'm friends with on facebook :erm:

I was not being antagonistic towards you, or even addressing you

ReputationRep:
    I bought this:
    http://www.johnlewis.com/230882241/Product.aspx

SO GOOD. Well it hasn't arrived yet but I had a similar one before (my ex got custody of it in the break up) and they are really good. Minimal cleaning (I just rinsed the drip tray out every now and then), no grinding of beans required, and it always produces reliably great coffee.

You can get cheaper ones than that btw, I just went a little over board in my spending this weekend :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    I'm not though, I was talking about people I'm friends with on facebook :erm:
    In a discussion about people not liking the tory party, you mentioned your friends on facebook but then used the word 'people', and I assumed you meant it in a broder sense.

I was not being antagonistic towards you, or even addressing you
    Antagonistic wasn't the right word. In the post where you tell people to chill out, you both swear and simulate rage by typing 'SERIOUSLY' at the beginning of a ranting paragraph. That is what I was getting at. And I replied to the post because you entered into a debate that I was on one particular side of. And to be fair, it didn't really seem as if your post was directed at anyone in particular, other than the first sentence about your age.

ReputationRep:
    I have reached a decision. We should not argue/debate politics in LGBT Chat. It's getting far too serious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    In a discussion about people not liking the tory party, you mentioned your friends on facebook but then used the word 'people', and I assumed you meant it in a broder sense.

Antagonistic wasn't the right word. In the post where you tell people to chill out, you both swear and simulate rage by typing 'SERIOUSLY' at the beginning of a ranting paragraph. That is what I was getting at. And I replied to the post because you entered into a debate that I was on one particular side of. And to be fair, it didn't really seem as if your post was directed at anyone in particular, other than the first sentence about your age.
    It wasn't directed at anyone (well not anyone on TSR anyway), it was just voicing my annoyance during the general election.

And yeah, in fairness I am in a generally ****ty mood today thanks to London public transport.

Anyway I don't think I know enough to get into an actual political debate I just felt like a bit of internet rage (I was going to rage over public transport but then I saw people talking about politics and got distracted), sorry

ReputationRep:
    I have reached a decision. We should not argue/debate politics in LGBT Chat. It's getting far too serious.
    Heck I've been studying Politics for 2 years and will be for a further 3 years at university. Yet I still agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    *ignores political discussion*

Also, enjoy Prague.
    Thank you.

(Original post by laughingwithpicasso)
    Ps. HEY GUYS. I really ought to stop sporadically posting "hello" and its variants in here... nevertheless, hi!
    Why? Greetings are good. :yep:

I'm off in a few hours. My rucksack seems to be way bigger than when my mum packed it with the same stuff. I also have a worrying amount of cash in a little thing attached to my belt. Should be fun, though.

ReputationRep:
    Just to add some fuel to the Tory-hate fire:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/b...ing-gay-rights

However, the girl in question is a bit of an arse, so make of it what you will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    *ignores political discussion*

Thank you.

Why? Greetings are good. :yep:

I'm off in a few hours. My rucksack seems to be way bigger than when my mum packed it with the same stuff. I also have a worrying amount of cash in a little thing attached to my belt. Should be fun, though.
    Oooh, no way, you should spread your cash about your person, that way if you lose cash, you won't lose it all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    Oooh, no way, you should spread your cash about your person, that way if you lose cash, you won't lose it all
    And if you go to Russia, you should carry a dummy wallet containing only a few dollars that you hand over when stopped by the police. My mum's fiancé was telling me about it, every so often two police officers will scope out a tourist, stop them and demand to inspect their wallet "to see your papers" etc. Whilst one rifles through the wallet, the other one distracts you by chatting to you about your holiday and so on. Then the wallet is returned and they cheerily bid you good bye... with precisely half the notes from your wallet. Terrifying country :p:

Bah, today is not going especially well. I could kill for a good gin and tonic right now. And probably just inflict a flesh wound for a bad one.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.