Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeyondandAbove)
    It's those endless amounts of talking about people behind their backs. Having something with one person (kissing or whatever) and then you have at least 5 people hating you (not referring to me now). People saying stuff about others that isn't true (for example someone says about me that I'm her ex, but we were never in a relationship! We just kissed and more for a short period of time.). All this drama. All these complications. All this backstabbing. Of the group that I'm in (let's say about 20), I only really feel comfortable with (and I only really like).. 4 or 5.

I know you don't get this **** with gay women only but I just experience it more with them. I'm considering not going to the gay scene at all or very seldomly in Edinburgh.

What about you? Why?
    Ha ha that sounds awful and would probably send me back into the closet (ok bit dramatic there). Having not know a lot of lesbians to compare to gay company I can only imagine the intensity of the *****y drama. Is it like straight girls times ten? That would be living hell for me. Don't get me wrong, I love girls and their some times adventurous drama, some of it can be fun. However the key is a bit. Also the whole dramatising their love life is sad, very sad! Your friends clearly think they are in Hollyoaks, like mine. :rolleyes:

In my circle of gay friends there are three who I love to bits, the rest are great but can sometimes drown me in their drama too. A sleeps with B, but C loves A. B doesn't really like A but wants to make C jealous. Then D comes along and ends up sleeping with A, B and C!

There is one who has parents who threaten to physically hurt him if he 'stays gay'. His now a complete odd ball and has ran back into the closet. Another one has told his mum but not his dad and hates camp guys, like some twisted gay on gay phobia. Third one who thinks his Mr Gay uk and so rude he got a deserving slap in a club once. Fourth friend who is a hopeless romantic and can't hold down a boyfriend longer than a month, bless his soul. He was dumped two days ago, but his usually the dumper. He told his second last boyfriend its over at his own house warming party. Minutes before we were all about to get into cab. Our night was ruined. Our latest trip to Manchester resulted in two more taking class A drugs and one ending up in hospital...

I won't go into detail about my psycho ex who actually broken down in tears in a club. Night ruined. He now sees a shrink...

I'm slightly glad none of them are coming to my university! ha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Hey gays. Musicals (and poetry, Laertes) are awesome.
    I'm sorry, but poetry in particular is ****. Even the best are terrible; Carol Ann Duffy, for example, supposedly the best poet in the country. She's awful.
    I do quite like Edgar Allen Poe, though. He was from Balmore.

(Original post by Reformed2010)
    Our latest trip to Manchester resulted in two more taking class A drugs and one ending up in hospital...
    A good night out then? :awesome:
    I kid, of course.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a Wetherspoons last night and one man was so wrecked in there that he got stretchered out for a stomach pump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    Ha ha that sounds awful and would probably send me back into the closet (ok bit dramatic there). Having not know a lot of lesbians to compare to gay company I can only imagine the intensity of the *****y drama. Is it like straight girls times ten? That would be living hell for me. Don't get me wrong, I love girls and their some times adventurous drama, some of it can be fun. However the key is a bit. Also the whole dramatising their love life is sad, very sad! Your friends clearly think they are in Hollyoaks, like mine. :rolleyes:

In my circle of gay friends there are three who I love to bits, the rest are great but can sometimes drown me in their drama too. A sleeps with B, but C loves A. B doesn't really like A but wants to make C jealous. Then D comes along and Ends up sleeping with A, B and C!

There is one who has parents who threaten to physically hurt him if he 'stays gay'. His now a complete odd ball and has ran back into the closet. Another one who has told his mum but not his dad and hates camp guys, like some twisted gay on gay phobia. Third one who thinks his going to be Mr Gay uk and so rude he got a slap in a club once. Fourth friend who is a hopeless romantic and can't hold down a boyfriend longer than a month, bless his soul. He was dumped two days ago, but his usually the dumper. He told his second last boyfriend its over at his own house warming party. Minutes before they we were all about to get into cab's to go to a club. Our night was ruined. Our trip to Manchester resulted in two more taking class A drugs and one ending up in hospital...

I won't going into detail about my psycho ex who actually broken down in tears in a club. Night ruined. He now sees a shrink...

Roll on university.
    Wow, and I thought us girls were bad! This could be Hollywood, seriously. Luckily we don't have anyone taking class A drugs or anything.

I also have this one psycho ex. :rolleyes: Gotta hate them.

In our group it's like this: A is new. B likes A (it seems that way at least) and the two had some make out sessions. C and D probably like B, so they don't like A because of jealousy or whatever. E doesn't like A because she gets along with me very well (E = the one who says I'm her ex). F doesn't like A for NO reason. G is kinda mixed up because of the stuff she hers about A (so I told her that she should get to know her to form her own opinion of A). C talks behind A's back - and vice versa. C to F/G got a scene between A and B mixed up, but B doesn't do anything to clear that up.
    So basically, A is in our group for.. 3 weeks? And no one bar 2 like her. :rolleyes: And they don't even know her. wtf?

I'm glad to be out of there soon. I agree: roll on university. Wanna get out of this kindergarten. Although from what you're telling me.. my group doesn't seem as bad. I sense a great escalation coming along, though.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my Lord that's a lot of drama.

I have two gay friends, and there has been no sex or drama between us at all :nah:

Ok well slight drama between one of them and me, but that was just as a result of living with him for a year (i.e. flat-related arguments).

Just been to brunch with my other gay (well bi but whatever) friend, we spent like 4 hours in Le Pain Quotidien :coma:

ReputationRep:
    It is now officially too cold to have my window and curtain open to let the breeze in at night. I survived summer! Huzzah!

ReputationRep:
    Hey gays, I have done my laundry here in Vienna. That is the only real achievement of my day, I'm afraid. Vienna is cool, though.

(Original post by Gesar)
    Whereabouts in Vienna are you staying? When I went we stayed at a Wombats hostel, and they are awesome.
    Yeah, I'm in one of the Wombat's hostels (the one slightly further from Westbahnhof than the other one). We should organise a TSRLGBTSCTTTE. :yep:

(Original post by Ash_D)
    I've always wanted to see Chicago live but I'd prefer it if the actors from the film performed it live even though that's unlikely. I popped my musical cherry I was dragged to a musical called 'once on this island' last year it was good but I thought that their interpretation of death was a pirate.
    One of my teachers watched a production of 'Chicago' put on by the inmates of a women's prison. :p:

(Original post by Laertes)
    I'm sorry, but poetry in particular is ****. Even the best are terrible; Carol Ann Duffy, for example, supposedly the best poet in the country. She's awful.
    I do quite like Edgar Allen Poe, though. He was from Balmore.
    Saying 'poetry is ****' is like saying 'prose is ****' or 'music is ****' - it's far too general a statement to make. Carol Ann Duffy's stuff is harder to get into than a lot of stuff, but there's masses of awesome poetry out there.

ReputationRep:
    Saying 'poetry is ****' is like saying 'prose is ****' or 'music is ****' - it's far too general a statement to make. Carol Ann Duffy's stuff is harder to get into than a lot of stuff, but there's masses of awesome poetry out there.
    True. :yep: For example:-

This Be The Verse

They **** you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.

But they were ****** up in their turn
    By fools in old-style hats and coats,
    Who half the time were soppy-stern
    And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
    It deepens like a coastal shelf.
    Get out as early as you can,
    And don't have any kids yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    True. :yep: For example:-

This Be The Verse
    True, although Larkin has better poems ('High Windows', 'Church Going', 'An Arundel Tomb'), and that particular one tends to get misinterpreted a fair amount. Knowing poetry off by heart is also a pretty good way to pass time; I've decided that one day I'll learn 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner', and possibly 'The Raven'. I like poems. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm in one of the Wombat's hostels (the one slightly further from Westbahnhof than the other one). We should organise a TSRLGBTSCTTTE. :yep:
    That's the one I stayed at, I think. There might be three of them. When I was there they were celebrating their 15th birthday or something and had a free barbecue and free bar :yep:

Well, I disagree. Poetry is comparable to fiction, not prose. Poetry exists to make the reader feel a certain emotion, or to make them think something specific. And fiction can do that better than poetry can. And it doesn't hit itself in the face with delusions of 'art' along the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Well, I disagree. Poetry is comparable to fiction, not prose. Poetry exists to make the reader feel a certain emotion, or to make them think something specific. And fiction can do that better than poetry can. And it doesn't hit itself in the face with delusions of 'art' along the way.
    :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Poetry is a wider thing than fiction, though - it goes all the way from classical epics to haiku to nonsense verse to beat poetry and loads of other stuff. 'Art' is notoriously hard to define, but fiction is art too, and they can both be as pretentious, or as unpretentious, as each other. It's pointless to say that one can make you feel a certain way better than the other, since it depends on how you want to feel, and who you are.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that poetry is ****, but I generally see it as pointless. It's like a song but without music, which for me makes it generally not enjoyable.

There are some poems I've read that I've thought incredibly beautiful, but poetry isn't something I would ever read. It's the kind of thing I would only associate with a wedding or funeral tbh.

If I ever get married I want someone to read one of Pablo Neruda's poems at the ceremony. His poems (in the original language) I found truly beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that poetry is ****, but I generally see it as pointless. It's like a song but without music, which for me makes it generally not enjoyable.

There are some poems I've read that I've thought incredibly beautiful, but poetry isn't something I would ever read. It's the kind of thing I would only associate with a wedding or funeral tbh.

If I ever get married I want someone to read one of Pablo Neruda's poems at the ceremony. His poems (in the original language) I found truly beautiful.
    Oscar Wilde said that first.

Why not read stuff you find beautiful? I think people make the mistake of treating books of poetry like novels, because they look similar, and then getting annoyed when they don't find the same easy enjoyment.

You should invite us all to your wedding, btw. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Oscar Wilde said that first.

Why not read stuff you find beautiful? I think people make the mistake of treating books of poetry like novels, because they look similar, and then getting annoyed when they don't find the same easy enjoyment.

You should invite us all to your wedding, btw. :ninja:
    Tbh I'm a reading fail at the moment, haven't read a book in ages :erm:

I don't know, having done Latin and Spanish at A Level I'm kind of put off reading poetry.

And I don't think I'm getting married anytime soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Tbh I'm a reading fail at the moment, haven't read a book in ages :erm:

I don't know, having done Latin and Spanish at A Level I'm kind of put off reading poetry.

And I don't think I'm getting married anytime soon
    I've been reading quite a bit in the last few days, and am trying to get through some more 'cultured' than I usually do. The pile of books I brought to Europe is about to run out, so I will have to resort to whatever's in the hostel, and books from market stalls over here. I'm tempted to try a short novel in German, but I fear it might just demoralize me. I'm also looking into ordering books on Amazon to be delivered poste restante, so I can get some stuff that will be relevant to my PS.

As for approachable poetry, if you flick through the good old 'Nation's Favourite' books there's always going to be something which appeals, I feel. And then you can look further into whatever interests you.

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading quite a bit in the last few days, and am trying to get through some more 'cultured' than I usually do. The pile of books I brought to Europe is about to run out, so I will have to resort to whatever's in the hostel, and books from market stalls over here. I'm tempted to try a short novel in German, but I fear it might just demoralize me. I'm also looking into ordering books on Amazon to be delivered poste restante, so I can get some stuff that will be relevant to my PS.

As for approachable poetry, if you flick through the good old 'Nation's Favourite' books there's always going to be something which appeals, I feel. And then you can look further into whatever interests you.
    Spanish novels demoralised me, God only knows what would happen if I tried to read one now (actually I know what would happen, I wouldn't make it past the first page :emo:).

Hopefully I will be able to brush up on my Spanish on my date next Sunday :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    I want to relearn the German I once knew, but every time I try I get to the 20 odd different endings you need for each adjective, preposition, article, person etc and lose all hope and give up. Reading German might be a different story; all you need then is to know that any three letter word beginning with 'd' is probably 'the' etc, and you can incompetently stitch together some meaning out of it. But that won't really fly on a CV!

ReputationRep:
    Looking after my cousins 3 year old for two days has reminded me one thing. Fatherhood can definitely wait! I kind of forgot how I felt since my youngest brother is now 15.

ReputationRep:
    German's a rather difficult language.

Now after I have seen the girl that I like (the one who likes me too, but a relationship is just out of the question because I'm moving away and we value our friendship too much blah blah blah) on Saturday again, I wanted to keep it a bit low and just go out of the country without properly saying goodbye to her.
    Next thing I know I've set up a meeting with her for Thursday night where we will watch The Lion King together. :unsure:

On another note: I've got a massive spider in my room. It creeps me out! I caught it, though, and I hope it will die under my bowl.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.