Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There was this man who walked into a bar and says to the bartender 10 shots of whiskey.

The bartender asks, "What's the matter?"

The man says, "I found out my brother is gay and marrying my best friend."

The next day the same man comes in and orders 12 shots of whiskey.

The bartenders asks, "What's wrong this time?"

The man says, "I found out that my son is gay."

The next day the same man comes in the bar and orders 15 shots of whiskey.

Then the bartender asks, "Doesn't anyone in your family like women?"

The man looks up and says, "Apprently my wife does."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    I'm going to ask you a favour :yep: And a non-sexual one at that. Indeed, it's actually scholarly.

You study classics, and you mentioned that you did some Greek. How do you feel about translating a passage of Greek for me from the Codex Sinaiticus?

If you want I can even ask you to look at some papyrus fragments for me as well :yep:

Disclaimer: I in no way endorse the study of the arts, despite this episode.
    Certainly. Biblical Greek isn't what I study, but if the Theologians can manage it it can't be very difficult. In fact, I've had a look at New Testament Greek before and it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe PM me with the things you'd like translating? I'm likely to be up for quite a while ... reading about penises. In Aristophanes, of course ... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ars Ludicra)
    Certainly. Biblical Greek isn't what I study, but if the Theologians can manage it it can't be very difficult. In fact, I've had a look at New Testament Greek before and it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe PM me with the things you'd like translating? I'm likely to be up for quite a while ... reading about penises. In Aristophanes, of course ... :cool:
    Thank you very much :yep: I'll quickly have a shifty round and see if there's anything else that I can't find translated online. (It really isn't much, don't worry)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HortyNarcissus)
    Hehe that's hilarious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Hehe that's hilarious
    :whip:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crisps)
    :whip:
    waaaaaaaaa?

ReputationRep:
    I like Sauvignon Blanc quite a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Thank you very much :yep: I'll quickly have a shifty round and see if there's anything else that I can't find translated online. (It really isn't much, don't worry)
    DONE! I always feel like something out of a Dan Brown novel (if indeed they can be so called) when I compare biblical manuscripts with the received translations. There are almost always some VERY liberal translations and often some great gaping holes. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    random depression ahoy!

(at least I have funky hair though (it's some consolation) :sad:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    waaaaaaaaa?
    Oooh you like it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Cat)
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Btw, soz for not replying to your text, but I'm in Germany right now. Will reply to it tomorrow evening when I'm back in the burgh!

ReputationRep:
    For some reason I am really really failing to make the first move

But we're going on a 4th date today so hopefully that's a good thing. He's coming over to mine and I'm cooking a big lunch and then we'll watch movies. So, um, yeah, hopefully I'll be able to stop failing so much. Fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    Morning, gays. Went out on a pub crawl with lots of people from the hostel last night, which was alright. Didn't meet anyone new to flirt with.

More importantly, I leave tonight, so tomorrow lunchtime I will officially be Off The Road. 'Tis crazy.

Time for an epic quote-post!

(Original post by Immo.)
    I have no problem with the art museums, but I really can't spend a long time admiring something. Those people who spend hours analising pieces of art; I could never do that. All I can do is think: "That must have taken forever" or "I could never do anything as good as that." and occasionally "That's so detailed."

My dad is obsessed with looking round Catholic churches. He spends forever gazing at them.
    I think that visual art in particular is something you find more interesting when you know something about it. The few times I've gone around a museum or gallery with someone who knows their stuff, it gives you much more to see within the art. I've developed a bit of a liking for churches, I have to admit.

I have short hair :eek:

and I've fashioned it into a little faux hawk. I'm a shark rawrrr
    Awesome.

I have a beard, it makes me look around 25. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

(Original post by anxiousClassicist)
    Er, how do I join this soc? *is a total noob* :unsure:
    I think there is an official way to join the soc so it comes up by your name, but for this thread just start talking, and behold as it consumes your life. :p:

(Original post by Gesar)
    I'm going to ask you a favour :yep: And a non-sexual one at that. Indeed, it's actually scholarly.

You study classics, and you mentioned that you did some Greek. How do you feel about translating a passage of Greek for me from the Codex Sinaiticus?

If you want I can even ask you to look at some papyrus fragments for me as well :yep:

Disclaimer: I in no way endorse the study of the arts, despite this episode.
    Keep this up, and you'll finish your maths degree with a theology dissertation. :p:

(Original post by HortyNarcissus)
    There was this man who walked into a bar and says to the bartender 10 shots of whiskey.

Heard it before, but 'tis a good joke.

(Original post by Gesar)
    sp. "shufti"

(Original post by Ars Ludicra)
    DONE! I always feel like something out of a Dan Brown novel (if indeed they can be so called) when I compare biblical manuscripts with the received translations. There are almost always some VERY liberal translations and often some great gaping holes. :rolleyes:
    Did you read the latest one? It's hilarious. :yep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    One of the characters has a dying man in a sealed container so she can weigh his soul. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    random depression ahoy!

Show me the hair!!!

Also

(Original post by paddy)

But we're going on a 4th date today so hopefully that's a good thing. He's coming over to mine and I'm cooking a big lunch and then we'll watch movies. So, um, yeah, hopefully I'll be able to stop failing so much. Fingers crossed!
    4th date = not a failure (yet) at least he wants to see you :p: good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    4th date = not a failure (yet) at least he wants to see you :p: good luck!
    I really like him, maybe that's the problem :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Maybe :p:

Merh, if it's gonna happen, it will happen, so just go with it you never know he might pounce on you before you even get the DVDs out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Maybe :p:

Merh, if it's gonna happen, it will happen, so just go with it you never know he might pounce on you before you even get the DVDs out

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sleepy. It 12:20 PM and I've been up since 8.

Oh, the joys of French Homework. -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)

Gosh, I don't think I've ever got to a 4th date without sex before - but I think that makes me weird rather than you. He's decided he wants to see you for the 4th time, he's in your HOUSE - just snuggle up with the film and kiss him, then pause the film and have your dirty way with him!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.