Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

LGBT Chat #6 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    Nooo not too dykey, I think it's quite cool actually but would also be a cool style if you left it down too.

My hair is boring at the minute. Damn teaching jobs
    thankyou and yeh, I fear I will have to smooth it down for clinics when I'm tending to patients :sad:

what be your hair like atm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Cat)
    thankyou and yeh, I fear I will have to smooth it down for clinics when I'm tending to patients :sad:

what be your hair like atm?
    This:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icysquall)
    How do you find men in Oxford? Seriously, tell me your secrets.
    The Internet/my iPhone. It will probably be hideous - pretty much every date I've been on in ox is. Not sure if I really fancy this guy at all but my new policy is "don't say no coz ya never know."

Sigh - we should start a 'why are there no eligible gay men in oxford' society & then just all date each other! :P

ReputationRep:
    :cute:

Life is good. Not even the thought of my crappy job can stop me from smiling tonight :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielf90)
    The Internet/my iPhone. It will probably be hideous - pretty much every date I've been on in ox is. Not sure if I really fancy this guy at all but my new policy is "don't say no coz ya never know."

Sigh - we should start a 'why are there no eligible gay men in oxford' society & then just all date each other! :P
    grindr? :p: I've discovered that since I've been home (on my iPod. I'm on the Blackberry side in the iPhone/Blackberry wars) and it's fairly amusing.

I already have such a society! I'm the only member and it basically involves me *****ing about men to anyone who'll listen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    :cute:

Life is good. Not even the thought of my crappy job can stop me from smiling tonight :love:
    So Paddy got some, then? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icysquall)
    grindr? :p: I've discovered that since I've been home (on my iPod. I'm on the Blackberry side in the iPhone/Blackberry wars) and it's fairly amusing.

I already have such a society! I'm the only member and it basically involves me *****ing about men to anyone who'll listen.
    Yes - grindr. The prob is that I have a low opinion of anyone that goes on it (even tho I do), so even tho this guy is nice, clever, engaging etc. I inherently have something against him - coz he uses grindr. (which is so stupid coz I do too - mainly coz I'm intrigued!).

May I please join your society? Where are meetings held?

ReputationRep:
    Yes - grindr. The prob is that I have a low opinion of anyone that goes on it (even tho I do), so even tho this guy is nice, clever, engaging etc. I inherently have something against him - coz he uses grindr. (which is so stupid coz I do too - mainly coz I'm intrigued!).

I'd be too scared of going on grindr in Oxford in case someone i know saw me on it (not that I can ever get wifi anywhere). Everyone thinks I'm so innocent. Silly people.

Sure you can join, though meetings are currently held in my mind, might prove difficult getting there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laertes)
    So Paddy got some, then? :p:
    No, but there was a goodnight kiss :o:

ReputationRep:

Grindr is definitely a vile application... but then, when you're not living in a city with a thriving gay scene, it becomes difficult to find guys to meet and is hence why the internet/iphone apps are becoming ridiculously popular now.

Good luck with your dates though, hope they go well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    No, but there was a goodnight kiss :o:
    awww :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ars Ludicra)
    x
    I need help again :p: Really quick this time; probably one of the simplest things you'll ever translate.

If you were to translate the phrase 'It is I' (As in, "Don't be afraid, it is I" ) and the phrase "I am", would you end up with the same phrase in each case? (This is again another unsourced claim I've found that I need to check).

ReputationRep:
    awww :love:
    I invited him to my birthday thing next week

Wait is it OK to invite him or not? Argh dating etiquette confuses me :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    I need help again :p: Really quick this time; probably one of the simplest things you'll ever translate.

If you were to translate the phrase 'It is I' (As in, "Don't be afraid, it is I" ) and the phrase "I am", would you end up with the same phrase in each case? (This is again another unsourced claim I've found that I need to check).
    Not quite the same phrase, but they might be very similar depending on the case used for the 'I' (these things seems a little more arbitrary in Biblical Greek :p:). Do you want to give me the tranliterations/manuscripts in a message, so I cam make sure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)

I think I'd want to come to your birthday, if I were him. Maybe I'm just embarrassingly keen, though.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite the same phrase, but they might be very similar depending on the case used for the 'I' (these things seems a little more arbitrary in Biblical Greek :p:). Do you want to give me the tranliterations/manuscripts in a message, so I cam make sure?
    :p:

Ok, I randomly picked Codex Bezae because I like that one best (and it's held in Cambridge). The online bible I use is here. The passage in question is the story of Jesus walking on water. The original story is in Mark, and the quote in question is:

Mark 6:50 -- because they all saw him and were terrified. Immediately he spoke to them and said, "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

It is claimed by apologists that the Greek reads 'I am' rather than 'It is I', to tie in with both John and Exodus. These quotes are:

John 8:58 -- "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"
    Exodus 3:14 -- God said to Moses, "I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' "
    (Neither of which make much grammatical sense, it has to be said.)

You can find the/an original Greek version of Mark and John in Codex Bezae, and you can find the original Greek of the Septuagint (the old testament Jesus would have known) here.

Please compare the three phrases and then authoratively translate the Mark passage for me :p: (Jesus using 'I am' is claimed to be an important reference to himself being God in Mark, so this is why I'm bothering with it. Though for them to get away with claiming this, it has to be exact).

(Thanks, btw! And I would have messaged it, but I only skimmed your post.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)

Of course it was OK to invite him!

I have always been depressingly single on my birthday :nothing:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Gesar)

Ok, I randomly picked Codex Bezae because I like that one best (and it's held in Cambridge). The online bible I use is here. The passage in question is the story of Jesus walking on water. The original story is in Mark, and the quote in question is:

Mark 6:50 -- because they all saw him and were terrified. Immediately he spoke to them and said, "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

It is claimed by apologists that the Greek reads 'I am' rather than 'It is I', to tie in with both John and Exodus. These quotes are:

John 8:58 -- "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"
    Exodus 3:14 -- God said to Moses, "I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' "

You can find the/an original Greek version of Mark and John in Codex Bezae, and you can find the original Greek of the Septuagint (the old testament Jesus would have known) here.

Please compare the three phrases and then authoratively translate the Mark passage for me :p: (Jesus using 'I am' is claimed to be an important reference to himself being God in Mark, so this is why I'm bothering with it. Though for them to get away with claiming this, it has to be exact).

Is it wrong that I get a little bit excited whenever I hear the word codex? :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd want to come to your birthday, if I were him. Maybe I'm just embarrassingly keen, though.
    I hope he is as keen as you :o:

It's dinner then karaoke (yes I like karaoke :erm:) in Soho with about 10 people. My friends are nice people so hopefully he won't feel outnumbered or abandoned or anything, but I'll probably pay him more attention than anyone else anyway :o:

Of course it was OK to invite him!

I have always been depressingly single on my birthday :nothing:
    Yay

Until my last relationship I was always single on holidays. Don't worry I'm sure you'll find someone nice to spend them with soon :hugs:

(Original post by skipp)
    Is it wrong that I get a little bit excited whenever I hear the word codex? :giggle:
    No, there is nothing remotely wrong about that at all :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)

Ok, well according to the Codex Bezae ...

at Mark 6.50, the Greek reads:

'Θαρσεῖτε, ἐγώ εἰμι, μὴ φοβεῖσθε', which literally translates as 'take heart, I am, do not fear'.

John 8.58 has the same 'ἐγὼ εἰμί' = I am. Although the Greek itself just gives 'I am ... before Abraham'. "πρὶν Ἀβραὰμ [.] ἐγὼ εἰμί"

The Septuagint gives this for the passage at Exodus 3.14:

'και ειπεν ο θεος προς μωυσην εγω ειμι ο ων και ειπεν ουτως ερεις τοις υιοις ισραηλ ο ων απεσταλκεν με προς υμας'

I would translate it as:

And god said to Moses, 'I am the one who is/I am who I am', and thus he spoke, 'you will say to the sons of Israel "the one who is has sent me to you"'.

It's a little less clear cut in this passage in the Septuagint because one faces the problem of translating 'o wn', which can be done in lots of ways. I wouldn't say it was permissible to translate it as 'The I AM' though.

The Mark passage itself is fairly clearly just 'I am', though. Although I would say it's not entirely without justification to want to modify the Greek to 'it is I'. You see, because Greek is so inflected, 'eimi' by itself means I am, which means that you tend only to add the pronoun 'egw' when you want to be particularly emphatic.

Hope this helps - let me know if I've missed something out or got the wrong end of the stick, I did this rather quickly.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.