The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

paddy

Yay:biggrin:

Until my last relationship I was always single on holidays. Don't worry I'm sure you'll find someone nice to spend them with soon :hugs:

The plus side, is I've been pretty good at avoiding my partners birthdays too. I've ended up buying for one girlfriend, which I would have done anyway because we were friends before, and for my most recent I gave her a bottle of vodka that had been lying around in my uni house :h:
Reply 9741
Ars Ludicra
Ok, well according to the Codex Bezae ...

at Mark 6.50, the Greek reads:

'Θαρσεῖτε, ἐγώ εἰμι, μὴ φοβεῖσθε', which literally translates as 'take heart, I am, do not fear'.

John 8.58 has the same 'ἐγὼ εἰμί' = I am. Although the Greek itself just gives 'I am ... before Abraham'. "πρὶν Ἀβραὰμ [.] ἐγὼ εἰμί"

The Septuagint gives this for the passage at Exodus 3.14:

'και ειπεν ο θεος προς μωυσην εγω ειμι ο ων και ειπεν ουτως ερεις τοις υιοις ισραηλ ο ων απεσταλκεν με προς υμας'

I would translate it as:

And god said to Moses, 'I am the one who is/I am who I am', and thus he spoke, 'you will say to the sons of Israel "the one who is has sent me to you"'.

It's a little less clear cut in this passage in the Septuagint because one faces the problem of translating 'o wn', which can be done in lots of ways. I wouldn't say it was permissible to translate it as 'The I AM' though.

The Mark passage itself is fairly clearly just 'I am', though. Although I would say it's not entirely without justification to want to modify the Greek to 'it is I'. You see, because Greek is so inflected, 'eimi' by itself means I am, which means that you tend only to add the pronoun 'egw' when you want to be particularly emphatic.

Hope this helps - let me know if I've missed something out or got the wrong end of the stick, I did this rather quickly.

That does help a lot, thanks. It looks like my source was suffering from wishful thinking a bit when he said that then. But I can see why you would translate it as 'It is I', since it would presumably be said quite emphatically if his followers were afraid. Even so, your translation of the Septuagint puts the apologist's claim into enough doubt for me. Thanks again!

EDIT: Aha! I have solved all problems, and exposed another lie from the apologists. The Hebrew Old Testament that we use translates it as 'I am'. The Greek that Jesus would have used is translated as you translated it (This from wikipedia: Exodus 3:14 has a whole article!). The claim made by the apologist is that critical scholars obscure the Greek of the Mark passage, by translating it as 'It is I', thereby removing Jesus' claim as God. He then points to the Exodus 3:14 passage as confirmation, but carefully makes no mention of which version (greek or Hebrew) he is referring to. It doesn't matter which translation of Mark you prefer; Jesus would not have known Exodus 3:14 as we do, so there is no basis to his claim. This makes me happy :yep: (And you're now quoted in several places in my essay :p:- you are more trustworthy than wikipedia methinks)
(edited 13 years ago)
paddy
I invited him to my birthday thing next week :biggrin:

Wait is it OK to invite him or not? Argh dating etiquette confuses me :eek3:

It would confuse me as well!
Tbh, I've asked myself this question for a couple of weeks now. :p: Let's say we get on well on our date (it didn't happen last week :sad:).. her birthday and my birthday are fairly around the corner. What's the chance of her inviting me? Should I invite her? :s-smilie:

So I perfectly understand your confusion. And I am so jealous of your goodnight kiss! :p: :biggrin: Yaaaaaaaaay!
Reply 9743
Just told my housemates I'd like to pay less rent... I really hope I haven't opened a can of worms
Gesar
That does help a lot, thanks. It looks like my source was suffering from wishful thinking a bit when he said that then. But I can see why you would translate it as 'It is I', since it would presumably be said quite emphatically if his followers were afraid. Even so, your translation of the Septuagint puts the apologist's claim into enough doubt for me. Thanks again!

EDIT: Aha! I have solved all problems, and exposed another lie from the apologists. The Hebrew Old Testament that we use translates it as 'I am'. The Greek that Jesus would have used is translated as you translated it (This from wikipedia: Exodus 3:14 has a whole article!). The claim made by the apologist is that critical scholars obscure the Greek of the Mark passage, by translating it as 'It is I', thereby removing Jesus' claim as God. He then points to the Exodus 3:14 passage as confirmation, but carefully makes no mention of which version (greek or Hebrew) he is referring to. It doesn't matter which translation of Mark you prefer; Jesus would not have known Exodus 3:14 as we do, so there is no basis to his claim. This makes me happy :yep: (And you're now quoted in several places in my essay :p:- you are more trustworthy than wikipedia methinks)

Oh, I'm glad to have helped. :biggrin: Do let me know if there's anything else I can help with.
With 'dating etiquettes' in mind.. what the hell do you talk about on a first date?
(Dunno if I should play my 'clumsiness' card in this case and tell her just how often I make a fool out of myself. :p:)
trm90
Just told my housemates I'd like to pay less rent... I really hope I haven't opened a can of worms

Bwahaha, what are your justifications for paying less rent? I'd like to know how this turns out :biggrin:
Reply 9747
SuperSam_Fantastiche
Bwahaha, what are your justifications for paying less rent? I'd like to know how this turns out :biggrin:

Currently the biggest rooms (which are 2.5x bigger than my 2.5x3m room) pay £5 more / week than I do... but now that I've physically moved in here, I reaaaally think I should be paying like £8 less instead. I talked to other dudes about cost differences and small rooms and some people pay up to £12 less :eek: So I'm hoping my suggestion won't scare the **** out of people. AGH SAM I'M SCARED :frown:
trm90
Currently the biggest rooms (which are 2.5x bigger than my 2.5x3m room) pay £5 more / week than I do... but now that I've physically moved in here, I reaaaally think I should be paying like £8 less instead. I talked to other dudes about cost differences and small rooms and some people pay up to £12 less :eek: So I'm hoping my suggestion won't scare the **** out of people. AGH SAM I'M SCARED :frown:

Sounds reasonable to me, mind you in my house there was no discussion, everyone paid the same regardless of room size. See what they say, they might even agree if you've got such a small room.
Reply 9749
SuperSam_Fantastiche
Sounds reasonable to me, mind you in my house there was no discussion, everyone paid the same regardless of room size. See what they say, they might even agree if you've got such a small room.

Yeh we had the same price thing last year, but in principle we decided to fix it a little this year. I reaaally hope it goes as you say , i.e. people will agree... and in my suggestion, each person with a bigger room only pays £1 extra per week which is really not much at all.

and wtf tu es a la France, how is it going?! Are you settling in nicely?
trm90
Yeh we had the same price thing last year, but in principle we decided to fix it a little this year. I reaaally hope it goes as you say , i.e. people will agree... and in my suggestion, each person with a bigger room only pays £1 extra per week which is really not much at all.

and wtf tu es a la France, how is it going?! Are you settling in nicely?

I think the worst you'll get from that really is people not wanting the hassle of changing standing orders or however you guys pay your rent.

Yeah, I am in la France now :h: it's all good! Settling in pretty well, start work Friday (can't wait to have everything sorted so I can just open my bank account, register my phone number and get my grant paid to me) once all this is done I will be properly settled, I think :biggrin: going to Versailles this weekend for a spot of tourism.
Reply 9751
BeyondandAbove
With 'dating etiquettes' in mind.. what the hell do you talk about on a first date?
(Dunno if I should play my 'clumsiness' card in this case and tell her just how often I make a fool out of myself. :p:)

I dunno, anything really. OH but try and avoid the subject of past relationships :sadnod:

On my recent dates we have just ended up talking about **** to be honest, but the conversations are enjoyable and he smiles a lot which I approve of :biggrin:
paddy
I dunno, anything really. OH but try and avoid the subject of past relationships :sadnod:

On my recent dates we have just ended up talking about **** to be honest, but the conversations are enjoyable and he smiles a lot which I approve of :biggrin:

I generally avoid talking about past relationships.. so that should be fine. I do feel inclined however to ask her about her opinion on the papal visit. :p: But I know that political/religious topics should be avoided.. :rolleyes:

It's nice to talk about random ****. :smile: But probably you'd already have to feel comfortable with one another.. :s-smilie: Worried!!

I'm very happy for you though. :smile: And now I'm off to Princes St to buy some stuff for the football soc. :biggrin:
Reply 9753
BeyondandAbove
I generally avoid talking about past relationships.. so that should be fine. I do feel inclined however to ask her about her opinion on the papal visit. :p: But I know that political/religious topics should be avoided.. :rolleyes:

It's nice to talk about random ****. :smile: But probably you'd already have to feel comfortable with one another.. :s-smilie: Worried!!

I'm very happy for you though. :smile: And now I'm off to Princes St to buy some stuff for the football soc. :biggrin:

Oh I talked about both politics and religion:s-smilie: Although in fairness a giant pilgram group walked past us on our first date so religion followed on from there. Luckily we share the same opinions on that (that the pope sucks balls) so yay common ground!

I'm cautiously happy for me too. Cautiously though :o:
trm90
Grindr is definitely a vile application... but then, when you're not living in a city with a thriving gay scene, it becomes difficult to find guys to meet and is hence why the internet/iphone apps are becoming ridiculously popular now.

Good luck with your dates though, hope they go well!

I refuse to ever initiate conversation on there, but if people talk to me I'm willing to see where things go (unless they turn out to be vile and interested only in 'NSA' 'fun'). Sigh. Such is life.
What is a good gay chat room, because everytime my friends talk about it we always end up on people getting raped or stabbed, or raped then stabbed, or stabbed then raped.

and no one wants that, unless your into hardcore / fatal s&m

shame about that MI6 guy who put himself in a sports bag, seemed a little strange though.
paddy
Oh I talked about both politics and religion:s-smilie: Although in fairness a giant pilgram group walked past us on our first date so religion followed on from there. Luckily we share the same opinions on that (that the pope sucks balls) so yay common ground!

I'm cautiously happy for me too. Cautiously though :o:

I agree on your statement about the pope.
But anything that'd make the other person laugh would be good, I guess. I worry too much. :s-smilie:

Just a random :hugs: for you. :h:
I actually did some work today! Expect the plague of locusts soon-ish. I'm celebrating with cake and Dead Rising 2.
Reply 9758
icysquall
I actually did some work today! Expect the plague of locusts soon-ish. I'm celebrating with cake and Dead Rising 2.

I was thinking of buying Dead Rising 2. Is it first-person or not, and is it worth it? (Unless you mean the film, of course)
You know when you're having a little bit of a bad day, and you try to call someone just to get it out of your system so that the whole day doesn't turn sour, and then everybody you call doesn't answer and your day gets rapidly worse and worse? I think I'm having one of those days. :frown:

Latest