Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what the hell it means when it tells me to calculate the complexity! I'm making it up as I go along I should have gone to the lecture course, I think.

(My definition worked last year, but this year we have to compare algorithms that mostly waste time comparing things, rather than calculating things)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ars Ludicra)
    I definitely sympathize with laziness. Motivation is an elusive *****, particularly during the holidays and I'm pretty sure the only reason I've managed to find some is because I am scared out of my wits about Mods.

Good luck getting an appointment. I'd hate to hear of you locked up for 'cutting a *****' :rolf: I can understand your disappointment though. My normal hairdresser is really hot ... he has tattoos. :cool:
    Oh I wouldn't get locked up, I'd make it look like an accident :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Well, I want to go back. I hate it at home. I just have to write this coursework project up before I go back. I was meant to start the write-up two weeks ago, but instead I've been editing, expanding, correcting and furthering that damn bloody essay :p: It seems my mind has spent so long (only a month and a half...) off maths it can't face going back to a half-finished coursework project.
    To be fair your essay is rather fun. What do you intend to do with it once it's finished?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crisps)
    Wait, you were at the meet? :eek:

I don't remember you :o:
    I was sitting next to you at the table. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Paving)
    He was probably too busy perving on someone :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Not me. :emo: (jk, i think i'd rather it not be me)

ReputationRep:
    To be fair your essay is rather fun. What do you intend to do with it once it's finished?
    Print off two copies (at considerable personal expense) and give them to two evangelical Christians I know that gave me a book to read called 'The Case for Christ', about how historically accurate the new testament is :rolleyes: That's what this essay was for. The most effort by a skeptic ever put into telling Christians to shut up.

ReputationRep:
    Morning, gays. Slept in my bed again after a long time. Going to dinner with lots of friends who are buggering off to uni soon tonight, which will hopefully be good. How are you all?

(Original post by Gesar)
    Well, I want to go back. I hate it at home. I just have to write this coursework project up before I go back. I was meant to start the write-up two weeks ago, but instead I've been editing, expanding, correcting and furthering that damn bloody essay :p: It seems my mind has spent so long (only a month and a half...) off maths it can't face going back to a half-finished coursework project.
    I don't think the word 'essay' really covers it any more, from what I've heard.

ReputationRep:
    True. It has chapters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    True. It has chapters.
    Please please get someone to take a photo when you hand them your opus :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear :facepalm: Of course you were!

(Original post by paddy)
    :o:

Not me. :emo: (jk, i think i'd rather it not be me)
    :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Print off two copies (at considerable personal expense) and give them to two evangelical Christians I know that gave me a book to read called 'The Case for Christ', about how historically accurate the new testament is :rolleyes: That's what this essay was for. The most effort by a skeptic ever put into telling Christians to shut up.
    Oh, I love it! In general I'm pretty reserved in my atheism, but I'm not sure I could resist an outburst if it were thrust upon me like that. They won't know what's hit them. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm agnostic, but I'm against most organised religions and I really can't stand evangelicalism.

Actually I was discussing something the other day. Would you guys have reservations about dating someone who was religious (i.e. a practising Christian/Jew/Muslim etc)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    I'm agnostic, but I'm against most organised religions and I really can't stand evangelicalism.

Actually I was discussing something the other day. Would you guys have reservations about dating someone who was religious (i.e. a practising Christian/Jew/Muslim etc)?
    Providing it's not giving them issues about being with a guy, it wouldn't be a problem with me. I'm culturally Jewish, and I do the festivals to an extent (although this year I was away for the big ones). If I ended up marrying a Jewish guy it would probably be in some variation on the Jewish wedding ceremony. But I wouldn't not go out with someone because of their religion or lack thereof.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I love it! In general I'm pretty reserved in my atheism, but I'm not sure I could resist an outburst if it were thrust upon me like that. They won't know what's hit them. :rolleyes:
    They know it's coming sadly :sad: But I don't think they know how long it is.

(Original post by paddy)

I'm against organised religion too. My damn morals won't let me be against religion in general, but I would like to see organised religion taken down several pegs.

And finding a praticing (and believing) gay Jew or Muslim would be hard! Religion would definitely be a factor if any future partner had it. Knowing they were believing-religious rather than culturally-religious would definitely put me off. Actually come to think of it, I woudn't want to go out with someone who believed in new-age life force crap, or homeopathy etc, so to be fair I'm going to say I wouldn't go out with someone who was believing-religious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Providing it's not giving them issues about being with a guy, it wouldn't be a problem with me. I'm culturally Jewish, and I do the festivals to an extent (although this year I was away for the big ones). If I ended up marrying a Jewish guy it would probably be in some variation on the Jewish wedding ceremony. But I wouldn't not go out with someone because of their religion or lack thereof.
    I'm culturally Catholic myself but I only do Easter and Christmas (I avoid going to mass but every now and then my grandmother manages to guilt me :dry:).

I couldn't see myself having a proper Catholic wedding though (a church wedding with a non-religious minister maybe, although more likely a C of E church as Catholic churches can be quite gaudy :plz2:).

Religion wouldn't prevent me from going out with someone either, but it would be a little weird.

(Original post by Gesar)
    I'm against organised religion too. My damn morals won't let me be against religion in general, but I would like to see organised religion taken down several pegs.

And finding a praticing (and believing) gay Jew or Muslim would be hard! Religion would definitely be a factor if any future partner had it. Knowing they were believing-religious rather than culturally-religious would definitely put me off. Actually come to think of it, I woudn't want to go out with someone who believed in new-age life force crap, or homeopathy etc, so to be fair I'm going to say I wouldn't go out with someone who was believing-religious.
    I would have definite trouble seeing a scientologist though :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Well, believing-religious doesn't necessarily mean anti-gay - there are plenty of CoE-ers with no problem with gay people, not to mention the Quakers, progressive Jews (that's a technical term, not a value judgement), and others.

If it's the idea of having some very unempirical beliefs, try reading up on some non-realist religious ideas. It's a more philosophically rigorous way of considering ideas such as God and morality, which can make religion much less crazy.

(Original post by paddy)
    I'm culturally Catholic myself but I only do Easter and Christmas (I avoid going to mass but every now and then my grandmother manages to guilt me :dry:).

I couldn't see myself having a proper Catholic wedding though (a church wedding with a non-religious minister maybe, although more likely a C of E church as Catholic churches can be quite gaudy :plz2:).

Religion wouldn't prevent me from going out with someone either, but it would be a little weird.

I would have definite trouble seeing a scientologist though :holmes:
    Catholic churches are way cooler than CoE ones; I've seen some awesome cathedrals on my trip. Fair enough about getting married in one, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    I think there is some secret Catholic grandparent skill for guilting their grandchildren into going to mass. Never gone to Easter mass though :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Catholic churches are way cooler than CoE ones; I've seen some awesome cathedrals on my trip. Fair enough about getting married in one, though.
    Yes but I'd be getting married in the UK :fyi:

And I know, but I have seen SO SO MANY CATHEDRALS in my travels. Honestly after a certain point it's just like "oh look another gothic-style cathedral, well isn't that only marginally different from every single other European cathedral I've ever seen" :rolleyes:

Although getting married in a giant cathedral would be immense, albeit rather improbable for a gay like me :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laertes)
    I think there is some secret Catholic grandparent skill for guilting their grandchildren into going to mass. Never gone to Easter mass though :awesome:
    Well if there's one thing Catholics do best it's guilt :awesome:

My nan didn't speak to me for 2 months after I refused to get confirmed :erm:

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.