Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys

So I've been trying to read up on IB recently, getting to know what it's all about, and the lingo specific to the industry. Do the majority of people who undertake internships already know 100% what their going into? Do they already know exactly what goes on, why it goes on etc etc?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    No. Definitely no.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't know about others but the reason why I did M&A was so that I could say this:

That. And because I do not dream.

ReputationRep:
    This is what pretty much kept me going during last years cycle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROlDmux7Tk4

More important, unless you've spent a significant amount of time in a bank you won't have a clue what you're getting yourself into. Especially on the IBD/Corp Fin side of the business.

In terms of technical knowledge, you'll be a new man 10 weeks later.

ReputationRep:
    hello, going off topic here, i want to know if investment bankers deal with interest in any shape or form. My brother wants to be an investment banker but our religion forbids us to deal with interest. he might go to the middle east and work there but he's afraid of being isolated. grateful for a reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    hello, going off topic here, i want to know if investment bankers deal with interest in any shape or form. My brother wants to be an investment banker but our religion forbids us to deal with interest. he might go to the middle east and work there but he's afraid of being isolated. grateful for a reply.
    http://www.hsbcamanah.com/
    etc.

ReputationRep:
    Shariah-compliant banking is a massive industry and there are plenty of well-paid jobs in London as well as obviously in the middle East, in everything from branch-based retail banking to M&A. But I've always thought it seemed too much like a 'workaround' for people that were 'quite' religious, but very fond of money.

A Christian would not be permitted to sleep with his neighbours wife. Technically, he could go about divorcing his wife, you sleeping with his wife, and then they remarrying, all in the space of a swingers party. This wouldn't break 'the rules'. But I cant imagine god would be best pleased.

This might sound a bit of a poor comparison, but think about it. Shariah-compliance is basically a way of finding a loophole in the Koran. Your brother should ask himself if that is really how he interprets the importance of his religion.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I am a Muslim and you are allowed to work in investment bank. It maybe hard to be in a place where you’re working 24/7 and people around you have a drinking culture. I think the interest dilemma is more in trading then investment banking divison/M&A.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=862623

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpb23)
    Shariah-compliant banking is a massive industry and there are plenty of well-paid jobs in London as well as obviously in the middle East, in everything from branch-based retail banking to M&A. But I've always thought it seemed too much like a 'workaround' for people that were 'quite' religious, but very fond of money.

A Christian would not be permitted to sleep with his neighbours wife. Technically, he could go about divorcing his wife, you sleeping with his wife, and then they remarrying, all in the space of a swingers party. This wouldn't break 'the rules'. But I cant imagine god would be best pleased.

This might sound a bit of a poor comparison, but think about it. Shariah-compliance is basically a way of finding a loophole in the Koran. Your brother should ask himself if that is really how he interprets the importance of his religion.
    lol sounds like my brother.

ReputationRep:
    lol sounds like my brother.
    Then tell him to go right ahead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BetterThanHeaven)
    This is what pretty much kept me going during last years cycle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROlDmux7Tk4

More important, unless you've spent a significant amount of time in a bank you won't have a clue what you're getting yourself into. Especially on the IBD/Corp Fin side of the business.

In terms of technical knowledge, you'll be a new man 10 weeks later.
    You should see the 'Baby got WACC' video, the visuals are kinda crappy, but the lyrics are better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coda)
    Hello guys

So I've been trying to read up on IB recently, getting to know what it's all about, and the lingo specific to the industry. Do the majority of people who undertake internships already know 100% what their going into? Do they already know exactly what goes on, why it goes on etc etc?

Thanks!
    They don't know everything, but you'd be surprised at how much some interns seem to know.

ReputationRep:

Money is your new religion!

ReputationRep:
    There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it I have now surpassed. My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone, in fact I want my pain to be inflicted on others.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.