Turn on thread page Beta

I'm hearing a noise in my head, and sometimes outside my head watch

Obviously I'm going to see a doctor as soon as I can, which will be most likely tuesday morning.

It's a weird noise in my head, it's slightly like slightly distorted whistle, it goes at the same rate as a person slowly breathing would, constantly, its weird it only seems to happen in the evening (and night), when everything is quiet... And I don't believe in anything like after life, or ghosts, or even any kind of religion, so I don't believe it's anything to do with that stuff, the only conclusion that I can think of, is that it's some psychological problem

I know it's not my ears, because it sometimes like makes it way outside my head (can be either the left or right hand side of me too), almost like its the person next door, but mostly it sounds like its coming from the back of my head/neck... I had suspicions it was my fridge at first, but I just went for a walk in the wood next to my campus about 30 minutes a go, and it returned, but significantly louder, and this time it seemed to come from all around me which really freaked me out, as it was dark too... ran back to my flat and was kind of panicky

does anyone know what the hell this could possibly be??? Anyone know of anything that could cause such thing? because this is getting quite scary now, and it seems to be getting worse....

Something I should tell you too, I smoke synthetic cannabinoids (cannabis like smoking blends, and I only smoke them on nights where I have to get up early the following morning, because my flat mates are 'very disrespectful' to other people's sleep lets just say) that you can buy from head shops, usually only like once or twice a week though, could this be a cause? should i tell the doctor this too? Because the ones i have got banned in december, but there's others come out now with a new legal form of the chemical compound, that gives pretty much the exact same effect, basically dodging the law

ReputationRep:
    Well first of all, you shouldn't smoke that ****. It's not been researched properly (if your talking about what i think you are - spice and the likes), you'd me much safer sticking to the real thing.

Secondly, is this sound like a constant ringing/buzzing? If so then it's most likely tinnitus. It sucks, i get it really bad, listening to loud music has it's drawbacks.

From what you've said it does sound like tinnitus, you will only notice it when it's quite and there is minimal background noise, but as it gets worse you notice it constantly.. which must really suck.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it would be the smoking blends in themselves but if you're having issues anyway I would stay away from them.

As for telling your doctor - how do you think heroin addicts get methadone without telling their doctor about their habit?

ReputationRep:
    My best guess is that that stuff messes with your blood pressure and that's what you "hear" afterwards ... but since it's not only bad for your ears I recommend you stop taking that ****, anyway

ReputationRep:
    I get this all the time, every night.

I'm not worried about it though... should I be? I've always heard that kind of noise, since I was a kid. I always just put it down to... blood circulating or something.

Having said that, perhaps I've merely been dying for years? :sigh:

I used to think it was weird wind/rain/people walking around rustling bin bags, all sorts.

It's not something I'd be/am overly worried about.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

ReputationRep:
    Tell your doctor everything, they are there to help you and not to judge.

Here's some of the things it could be

1) could be Tinnitus - Other tinnitus experiences are chirping crickets, bells, roaring or rushing noise in head. This tinnitus type is classified as objective tinnitus where a sufferer may experience a rhythmic rushing noise caused but their own pulse commonly known as pulsatile tinnitus.

2) The sufferer can also hear the rushing noise in head from other causes such as TMJ, or malformation of the arteries or veins located in the head or neck which may require surgery to solve the problem.( I actually have this kind of malformation in my wrist- known as AVM - arterio venous malformation - but it's far more common in the brain)

3) could be the stuff you are smoking is raising your blood pressure and causing it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.