Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

can people be psychic? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    what do you think?
    is it possible to see into the future, even without knowing it? or is everything just a coincidence? Or just know things that you shouldn't?

Like the other day, (this will probably sound stupid) but we were in a group of friends talking about middle names, and these two guys i'd never met before were like, oh guess ours. And i got them both right, out of nowhere. They think i'm a bit weird now, but yeah. I don't know how i would know this.

ReputationRep:
    Very, very sceptical about such things, but then I suppose if something's not impossible then it is impossible. The majority that claim to be psychic are a load of old balls really.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate_Geek)
    Very, very sceptical about such things, but then I suppose if something's not impossible then it is impossible. The majority that claim to be psychic are a load of old balls really.
    That makes no sense...

And no, there is no such thing as psychic ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNack)
    there is no such thing as psychic ability.
    But how do you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNack)
    That makes no sense...

And no, there is no such thing as psychic ability.
    Meant to say - 'if something's not impossible then it's possible' I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    No.

If people did have Psychic ability they would have a evolutionary advantage over those who do not, thus they should be more successful, and thus breed more.

If this "Psychic sense" was real, there would be a lot more of them around.

And if there was anything too it, the military would be all over it running tests and such.

ReputationRep:
    No decent evidence base to suggest there is, thus to all intents and purposes given how long people have claimed its possible, its impossible.

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't believe it
    Yet I do have moments where weeks in advance I have feelings of things to come, which turn out to be the case, things I'd generally stake large amounts of my own money on. For example once in an award ceremony I stood up for a prize before my name was called out, having 'known' for 2 years I'd win said prize later on. I don't think it's psychic, yet wouldn't call it coincidence as I don't believe in Free will, hmm if everything is determined then maybe it would be possible to gain a view of the 'future'? Maybe I just know people too well? I don't know, I just know I have feelings at least a few times a year, where the outcome of things out of my control come to pass as I've seen them.

ReputationRep:
    Not so sure about this, but a few months ago I read something along the lines of people being able to mentally communicate with each other if they have similar neurone receptors or something.

Will look more into it in a bit, gives me more of an excuse for procrastination I suppose!

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe it but you've got to make your own mind up.
    Watch this if you're really interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xswt8B8-UTM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harv616)
    No.

If people did have Psychic ability they would have a evolutionary advantage over those who do not, thus they should be more successful, and thus breed more.

And if there was anything too it, the military would be all over it running tests and such.
    Actually they did
    Remote viewing-wikipedia

It's clear anyone who claims to be psychic openly isn't, their in the same vein as ghost hunters who go around poorly lit homes then flog their blurry photos to the more gullible members of the public.

It's up to you if you want to believe it or not OP I've heard of more outlandish things to believe like a certain Jewish zombie which could heal people by touching them and drove away sin that had been present in mankind since its creation and whos blood we symbollicaly drink and flesh eat

ReputationRep:
    yes... have you never watched heroes?

ReputationRep:
    No.

...assuming poeple are psychic because of genes

ReputationRep:
    No evidence has ever been produced to suggest that people can be psychic.

Many people claim to be, but I posit that if they were genuine, then they would take up James Randi's psychic challenge - if you are a genuine psychic, then this is an easy, easy way to make $1,000,000.

ReputationRep:
    No.

More likely to be labelled as insane than be successful.

ReputationRep:
    God knows. I get a *lot* of deja-vu, but I never know about it til I actually get it, so I can't really predict anything as such. One time we were in a lecture and the lecturer began by talking about chalk pits, and from that point I knew every single slide he was gonna bring out and everything he would say That was the weirdest one. The rest of it's just things people do or say, which I guess could just be misconstrued as deja-vu because there are only a certain number of things people *can* say or do. So it might just be repetition, but whatever it is it's a bit odd.

And there was one night when I was on holiday and during the afternoon I had an awful feeling something bad had happened, and I couldn't sleep at all, and when I called home I found out that my dog had been put down. I don't know what you'd call that really :dontknow:

I don't know if "psychic", "telepathic" powers exist as such, but there is one hell of a lot that we don't know about the human mind and psyche. I think it's improbable, but not impossible. I just don't know whether to put my experiences down to massive coincidence or not.

ReputationRep:
    Naooooooooooooooo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil Piranha)
    God knows. I get a *lot* of deja-vu, but I never know about it til I actually get it, so I can't really predict anything as such.
    I'm exactly the same.

The problem is its always really crap stuff. For example, the appearance of a new shop. I was having a conversation with my friend as we walked past it and had a strong sense that I'd had exactly the same conversation before. I've come to the conclusion that this stuff only happens when I've slept in a deep sleep for a long period of time. Whenever I can I try to sleep for about 10 hours just to see if I get lucky and "see" something

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.