Turn on thread page Beta

How can I help my best friend get a girlfriend? watch

Anonymous because he might see this and be incredibly embarressed otherwise.

OK so my best friend is one of the best guys I know. He's kind, caring, always looks after me, he's funny etc. Basically most of the qualities I would think most girls look for in a guy's personality. Unfortunately (I may sound like a ***** saying this) he's not that good looking. He's almost 20, balding rapidly, and maybe slightly overweight. Saying this I wouldn't say he's unnattractive, he's just not attractive. I know this shouldn't make a difference, but it does to a lot of people. He's never had any "female action" or a girlfriend, and I think this gets him down. When I ask him about it, he says he doesn't know what he's meant to do because he has quite low self confidence and is fairly shy (really not the type to just randomly approach people) and works in an almost completely male orientated environment.

It gets me down that he thinks he's going to end up alone and I don't know what advice I can give him or what I can do to help him.

How do most guys go about finding a girlfriend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Wave a fifty at any scantily clad woman standing on a corner and boom, you have a girl.

On a serious note, there's nothing worse than having somebody help you get a partner. What would you do if you found him somebody, he was happy for about a week, got dumped and then became inconsolable? Find him another girlfriend?

The point here is it's not your job.

I know I know it shouldn't be my job. I don't want to physically find him a specific girl, just maybe point him in the right direction? Or somehow give him the confidence boost he needs?

Or should I just keep my nose out and not intefere?

ReputationRep:
    Best thing you can do is take him shopping.

ReputationRep:
    take him 2 a niteclub a bit away from where he lives so he doesnt no as many people. then make him walk over and talk 2 girls...we really arent that scary and unless shes a complete *****...chances are she'll b nice 2 him. it mite boost his confidence a bit.... i no thats what we did with a friend of mine...

ReputationRep:
    street corner..get some prozzy action going

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anonymous because he might see this and be incredibly embarressed otherwise.

OK so my best friend is one of the best guys I know. He's kind, caring, always looks after me, he's funny etc. Basically most of the qualities I would think most girls look for in a guy's personality. Unfortunately (I may sound like a ***** saying this) he's not that good looking. He's almost 20, balding rapidly, and maybe slightly overweight. Saying this I wouldn't say he's unnattractive, he's just not attractive. I know this shouldn't make a difference, but it does to a lot of people. He's never had any "female action" or a girlfriend, and I think this gets him down. When I ask him about it, he says he doesn't know what he's meant to do because he has quite low self confidence and is fairly shy (really not the type to just randomly approach people) and works in an almost completely male orientated environment.

It gets me down that he thinks he's going to end up alone and I don't know what advice I can give him or what I can do to help him.

Why don't you go out with him since you said he's got, "most of the qualities I would think most girls look for in a guy's personality"

.....Shopping and gym membership....make it a six month plan, not a quick fix (if there's time).

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he doesn't put himself out there to find a girlfriend because he's fixated on you. That's a pretty likely situation.

ReputationRep:
    I knew a guy just like that, thought he was fantastic, didn't give a crap about what he looked like. Then he got all arsey with me for no reason and hasn't spoken to me since, so maybe it's your mate and he should just be a bit nicer to girls.

On a more practical note, just let him be. Don't let him think you feel sorry for him.

ReputationRep:
    facebook

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think you should take it upon yourself to find him a girlfriend unless he has asked you to. I would have been very sad if one of my friends decided I was too much of a loser to get a boyfriend by myself.

ReputationRep:
    Force him to work out, keep to a healthy diet, dress that bit more smartly etc. Once he has achieved attractive-torso status get him to take his shirt off in front of girls when possible. This should negate his baldingness and face. Girls will start paying more attention to him. They will discover his wonderful qualities. Voilà. The process has both increased his confidence and made female friends for him.

(Original post by TwentyTen)
    Why don't you go out with him since you said he's got, "most of the qualities I would think most girls look for in a guy's personality"

.....Shopping and gym membership....make it a six month plan, not a quick fix (if there's time).
    Because I'm already going out with his best friend. I met him through my boyfriend :rolleyes:

(Original post by Psyk)
    Maybe he doesn't put himself out there to find a girlfriend because he's fixated on you. That's a pretty likely situation.

I hope not, that could potentially complicate things.

Taking him shopping sounds like a good idea. It's his birthday soon, could probably get him some clothes.

ReputationRep:
    wingman him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    I knew a guy just like that, thought he was fantastic, didn't give a crap about what he looked like. Then he got all arsey with me for no reason and hasn't spoken to me since, so maybe it's your mate and he should just be a bit nicer to girls.
    The most probable reason was that he fancied you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    The most probable reason was that he fancied you.
    hhaha i doubt it, not considering the reason he got arsey with me.

ReputationRep:
    Hm i think the best thing you could probably do is just leave him to it, i would hate thinking that my friends thought i couldnt get a boyfriend!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.