Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Further options after BSc in Accounting and Finance? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I've applied to UCAS at 5 universities, all of them for BSc in A and F. However I have no idea what to do next, after hopefully getting a degree in three years. I know I want to work in Finance but I also really want to continue my education. I'm well acquainted with the ACA and ACCA option but I'd honestly prefer a Masters degree.

I've got a few questions in mind. Can I do a Masters degree whilst holding a job with a firm? Is this a good option in the first place? And what about the ACA/ACCA? Is it possible to do a Masters AND then do the ACA? And lastly after an undergraduate degree in Accounting, can I still do an MSc in Economics?

ReputationRep:
    1) You can either do a part-time masters if a firm will allow time off or you can try to defer your offer for a year and do a full time masters in the gap year (some large firms will sponsor you for a masters after you have done ACA)

2) A Masters in accounting is only really good if you have a specific interest in certain areas/want to go into teaching/research etc. It won't help you get a job (most firms just look at undergrad degrees) or qualify as an accountant you need ACA etc. to do this

3) Yes you can do a masters before or after ACA - but generally ACA is considered to be a masters-level qualification

4) That depends on the specific universities entry requirements - you would need to check some websites - have you considered doing Accounting and Economics at undergrad level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 456789)
    1) You can either do a part-time masters if a firm will allow time off or you can try to defer your offer for a year and do a full time masters in the gap year (some large firms will sponsor you for a masters after you have done ACA)

2) A Masters in accounting is only really good if you have a specific interest in certain areas/want to go into teaching/research etc. It won't help you get a job (most firms just look at undergrad degrees) or qualify as an accountant you need ACA etc. to do this

3) Yes you can do a masters before or after ACA - but generally ACA is considered to be a masters-level qualification

4) That depends on the specific universities entry requirements - you would need to check some websites - have you considered doing Accounting and Economics at undergrad level?
    Yes I did consider studying that particular combination actually but at the top ranked(for Accounting) universities, like Bath and Exeter, that course is not available.
    Also I forgot to mention the MBA. Is that an option that I could take or is that not relevant?

ReputationRep:
    MBA will diversify you into other areas of business and management so is more broad than just a masters in accounting

Not really relevant at the start of your career if you want to remain an accountant

In the US having an MBA/Masters is a lot more relevant so you should consider it if you want to work somewhere like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manutdfan145)
    Right, so I've applied to UCAS at 5 universities, all of them for BSc in A and F. However I have no idea what to do next, after hopefully getting a degree in three years. I know I want to work in Finance but I also really want to continue my education. I'm well acquainted with the ACA and ACCA option but I'd honestly prefer a Masters degree.

I've got a few questions in mind. Can I do a Masters degree whilst holding a job with a firm? Is this a good option in the first place? And what about the ACA/ACCA? Is it possible to do a Masters AND then do the ACA? And lastly after an undergraduate degree in Accounting, can I still do an MSc in Economics?
    Why do you want to do a Masters so badly? And is there any underlying rationale behind you prefering a Masters than an ACA, or is it simply the sound of it? Personally I think that in your 3rd year you will forget about that thought and just go for ACA jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2late)
    Why do you want to do a Masters so badly? And is there any underlying rationale behind you prefering a Masters than an ACA, or is it simply the sound of it? Personally I think that in your 3rd year you will forget about that thought and just go for ACA jobs.
    The reason a Masters is attractive to me is that I want to attend a really prestigious University like LSE or Cambridge, where I currently haven't applied. Although as you said its probably not all that useful in the accounting career and it would cost an arm and a leg too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manutdfan145)
    The reason a Masters is attractive to me is that I want to attend a really prestigious University like LSE or Cambridge, where I currently haven't applied. Although as you said its probably not all that useful in the accounting career and it would cost an arm and a leg too.
    If you get into LSE For A&F undergrad, that should do in terms of your desired prestige Besides, I don't know if you can do a MSc in Econ @Cam/LSE after A&F undergrad, based on the module structure. You could do all the 1st/2nd year micro+macro+econometrics modules as your outside option within A&F, but I'm unsure about 3rd year modules, due to lack of flexibility in the degree structure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2late)
    If you get into LSE For A&F undergrad, that should do in terms of your desired prestige Besides, I don't know if you can do a MSc in Econ @Cam/LSE after A&F undergrad, based on the module structure. You could do all the 1st/2nd year micro+macro+econometrics modules as your outside option within A&F, but I'm unsure about 3rd year modules, due to lack of flexibility in the degree structure.
    I can't remember if it was Oxford or Cambridge, but there is an M in Finance that you could do as long as the undergraduate degree possessed a significant amount of economics in its course, so would it be possible to do to this coming from BA Accounting and Finance?

ReputationRep:
    As 2late says it depends on the modules in the specific course

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.