Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

4 hours on trains tomorrow. watch

ReputationRep:
    So tomorrow morning I am travelling from Liverpool, to Edinburgh, with changes in Wigan north western, and carlisle, wherever they may be. Anyway, what can I do along the way? 4 hours on a train :/ Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Read, listen to music. If you've got a laptop, watch a movie on it. 4 hours isn't that long really - it takes me 4 1/2 to get to London, and I once spent 7 getting to Southampton.

ReputationRep:
    Take a bag of Haribo, a book, iPod/mp3 player or some paper just to doodle on?

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: 4 hours is nothing

ReputationRep:
    Music. I use my D.S as well.

ReputationRep:
    All of the above, plus buy the paper and do the crossword.

Or I've recently taken up knitting on the train...

Or just look out the damn window.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    :facepalm: 4 hours is nothing
    This. Think yourself lucky OP, 4 hours isn't that long at all. Take a book.

ReputationRep:
    I spent 8 hours travelling by train just to get from Nottingham to Buxton in Derbyshire.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,1.234589&z=10

ReputationRep:
    Sudoku the whole way

ReputationRep:
    I once had a 16 hour jouney from arizona to california, in a people carrier full of camping gear for the 12 of us. Just talk to people, i know it's not very british to have a random conversation but it honestly passes the time, you'll be suprissed. Anyway have fun with whatever's at the end of the jouney

ReputationRep:
    Well if it was me I'd stock up on magazines and some chocoate.
    Take a good book and an iPod. sorted

I'm driving well being driven :P to switzerland in 2 weeks and it takes 4/5 hours to ferry, hour on ferry and then about 12 hours driving. So 4 hours doesn't seem that bad!

ReputationRep:
    take a book and listen to some music on your phone/mp3 player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    I spent 8 hours travelling by train just to get from Nottingham to Buxton in Derbyshire.

Damn Beeching knocking out the link north of Matlock ...

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, and OP - 4 hours is nothing to be on a train.
    The route you're taking is not a bad one; Carlisle is a nice place to change trains, and with another change at Wigan North Western, you won't actually be on any individual train for very long at all.

I've done overnighters, sleeper carriages, all day trains etc, 10 hour journeys across Germany etc.

In Poland last September, my sleeper train was 2 1/2 hours late in to Poznan, so I missed my connection to Gdansk by 45 minutes.

Next train to Gdansk, 3 hours 15 minutes. Bad.

ReputationRep:
    read, think, observe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)

I dunno if you noticed, but instruction 7 is to take the 4th exit at the **** pitt :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    A sad state of affairs when someone is asking what to do with 4 hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennikay)
    I dunno if you noticed, but instruction 7 is to take the 4th exit at the **** pitt :teehee:
    Haha oh dear :rolleyes: We know what's on your mind :p:

ReputationRep:
    I didnt think 5 hours would be long from Edinburgh to London ...but it was
    I had loads of people coughing and sniffing then there was a table with girls going to a hen party in Newcastle that night who were drinking at 7am and wouldnt shut up
    I had my ipod, a book, magazine, nintendo dsi and sweets .... we also stopped on the tracks going into London because of the snow at the time .... managed to get through it and the journey back was a bit better ... although a passenger felt ill while in London but didnt do anything about it, got on the train then we had to stop halfway into our journey to get paramedics ... bad experience, dont think I will be doing that again :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Could be worse. You could be stuck on the Megabus.

Get some beers in, time will fly by!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.