Turn on thread page Beta

Exam - low concentration - energy drink??? watch

So yeah, the title says it all really. I have an exam soon and having difficulties in maintaining my concentration during the exam. So shall I drink RedBull before hand or other type of energy drink to maintain it? It's about 2 hour exam

Any advice appreciated, thanks

ReputationRep:
    drink vodka instead

ReputationRep:
    Have you never watched the Inbetweeners?

ReputationRep:
    Eat and drink properly beforehand, and obviously don't take in too much fluid.

Don't energy drinks just give you a quick, temporary boost?

Just a big NO NO to the energy drinks idea.

ReputationRep:
    Only eat things, before you sleep and on the exam day, which give a slow, measured out put of energy. DO NOT drink energy drinks before an exam, but an hour in drink and be sure to top yourself up every 20/25 mins so as to postpone the energy drop until the exams over.

ReputationRep:
    Incidently, the only time I drunk a red bull in my exam was the time I got an A.

ReputationRep:
    Don't underestimate the power of 9 hours of sleep!

ReputationRep:
    I prefer to have an energy drink a couple hours before my exam =)

(Original post by tknight7)
    Hahah, I have.. but I'm talking about couple of sips, not over 10 cans of it :p:

(Original post by lefneosan)
    Only eat things, before you sleep and on the exam day, which give a slow, measured out put of energy. DO NOT drink energy drinks before an exam, but an hour in drink and be sure to top yourself up every 20/25 mins so as to postpone the energy drop until the exams over.
    Yeah, that seems like a good idea... have you tried this before?

Has anyone tried this though and did it help you?

ReputationRep:
    Haha love that episode!

OP, I wouldn't recommend any energy drinks, good breakfast and water during the exam should do it.

ReputationRep:
    Right before the exam probably isn't a good idea, if anything it will make you less able to concentrate.
    Just eat and drink lots of the right stuff, get plenty of sleep for about a week beforehand, and be confident that you know your material. If you worry you will be more easily distracted.

If you still find concentration is an issue, practice at it! You will only get better, and it will benefit you more in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    :cool: my thoughts exactly.

ReputationRep:

EXACTLY what I was thinking.
    Don't do a Will.

Get some sleep, eat chocolate or something and FEEL THE FEAR.

ReputationRep:
    I generally drink a small bottle of lucazade before the exam (about 45 mins) and then eat polos or trebor extra strong mints throughout- almost a whole packet per exam :L and never eat mints or drink energy drinks EVER at any other time of year, for maximum effect haha

also I'm mindlessly optimistic even if I think that I might fail it does help :L

(Original post by TwentyTen)
    Don't underestimate the power of 9 hours of sleep!
    I won't :p: I'm planning to sleep about 8 hours before hand so

(Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
    Incidently, the only time I drunk a red bull in my exam was the time I got an A.
    Really Did you drink it before the exam or during?

(Original post by JB Johnstone)
    If you still find concentration is an issue, practice at it! You will only get better, and it will benefit you more in the long run.
    Thanks for the advice. How do you think I can do this?

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm i tried redbull i have quite low attention span
    i was buzzing for like half an hour then geessse my attention was worse than normal !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeStudent)
    I won't :p: I'm planning to sleep about 8 hours before hand so

Really Did you drink it before the exam or during?

During, it was because I was in my own room with my own invigilator, she was pretty cool.. I had sandwiches, red bull, and chocolate :P

(Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
    During, it was because I was in my own room with my own invigilator, she was pretty cool.. I had sandwiches, red bull, and chocolate :P
    That's so cool, I bet you felt more relaxed then My invigilators are okay as well, so I guess they won't mind if I snack during the exam :P

(Original post by yearofthepig)
    I generally drink a small bottle of lucazade before the exam (about 45 mins) and then eat polos or trebor extra strong mints throughout- almost a whole packet per exam :L and never eat mints or drink energy drinks EVER at any other time of year, for maximum effect haha

also I'm mindlessly optimistic even if I think that I might fail it does help :L
    They do taste better than red bull, but I'm not sure whether they have a better impact and whether they last longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeStudent)
    I can't say exactly what will work but I can tell you what has worked for me.
    First off I just generally decluttered my life. Started with sorting out my room, then by getting rid of any distractions in my work area, then I gradually got through everything on my todo list.
    I started having consistently good nights sleep, stopped drinking coffee, started watching what I eat/drink, nothing too sugary and little caffeine, mainly.
    Most importantly though for me was starting to read more has really helped me. I found that when I was reading I wasn't taking the words in, I'd read a paragraph and forget it instantly. So I practiced this, and it has definitely helped alot.

In general just try to figure out what is distracting you and why you cannot concentrate, and work on that.

Oh and btw eat a good breakfast like bran flakes or something similar the morning of the exam, at the very least it will keep hunger at bay, something else I also found very distracting.

An energy drink, if it even works at helping you concentrate in the short term, is definitely not a long term fix and is just a shortcut hiding a bigger problem.

ReputationRep:
    It's just sugar, that will give you a rapid boost but then you'll feel the comedown after 30 minutes of so (the insulin will clear your blood from the glycogen and you'll remain with less energy than before).

Just eat complex carbs with high BV.

Red Bull is particularly useless because while the caffeine will keep you awake...I don't think you run the risk of sleeping during an examination, do you?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.