Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Best A-level options watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm new so i'm not sure if i've posted this is the right place..:eek3:

Im in Year 11 and in the process of choosing my A-levels.

I'm definately choosing English Literature.
    I had previously thought about art, sociology and media but I've been told to consider a more broad range

What subjects are strong and mix well together?

ReputationRep:
    If you're definately choosing English Literature, and are tipped more towards the arts than sciences, then these subjects go very well with English;

Religious Studies
    History
    Geography
    A Foreign language

Or, if you want choose a versatile science like chemistry, which is strong and links/ is accepted to just about any degree at uni as it's very difficult!

You could then pick media studies or sociology for a 4th AS option - but remember these (and psychology) aren't regarded very well by universities - they are seen as less academic and generally "easy" subjects...I don't know exactly why.

Do you know what you want to do yet?

ReputationRep:
    I recieved a B in my gcse R.E in year 10 but I hadn't considered it.

Yeah I looked at a 'blacklist' and I think History and English Literature would be good choices and they're more respected. But if I take sociology or physcology they're considered 'risky'
    But because i'm not taking maths would science be a good option to take?
    Most preferably biology or chemistry.

Im not dead set on any careers yet but like you said im more drawn to the English/arts.

ReputationRep:
    R.E is definately something to look into --> it would go great with English Literature and History! Apparently it's more interesting at A-level because it's more like ethics & theology...

If you take History, English Literature, and maybe R.E then I think either Chemistry or a modern foreign language is a good last option - chemistry is the best out of the sciences and maths to take as it's slightly mathematical but less memorising of facts (like biology) and less purely mathematical (like physics)....

So I think:

English Literature
    R.E
    History
    Chemistry -> you can study, medicine, law, english, practically anything (within reason) with this subject!

ReputationRep:
    This might help:

http://www.whichalevels.org/a-level-league-table

ReputationRep:
    HISTORY 4EVS :love:

Get a good mix with an art or foreign language, science, humanities and/or essay subject

e.g Eng Lit, Art, Chemistry, History or whatever really but that would give you a good broad range.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon English Lit goes well with media, history and a language =)
    But art also would be good i think because of cultural and historical contexts and stuff...not sure if that makes sense but i think it does have links xD
    i am slightly biased though cuz i do a level art and i love it xD
    tbh you should really do subjects you think you'll enjoy, although i wouldnt recommend media AND sociology just cuz i think some universities would consider them 'soft' subjects...xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA94)
    I'm new so i'm not sure if i've posted this is the right place..:eek3:

Im in Year 11 and in the process of choosing my A-levels.

I'm definitely choosing English Literature.
    I had previously thought about art, sociology and media but I've been told to consider a more broad range

What subjects are strong and mix well together?
    Depends on what you want to do and what you are good at!

HOWEVER if you don't know, Maths is ALWAYS respected, History is too. Then a science or a foreign language. Choose what you're strongest at and always have at least one you love.

OH YEAH there are certain traditional subjects unis always like. Maths, English Lit, History, Modern Language, Biology, Chemisty, Physics.

If I could go back I'd choose History, Maths, Biology and Psychology. I'm applying for Law 2010 entry.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ourlastmemory)
    HISTORY 4EVS :love:

Get a good mix with an art or foreign language, science, humanities and/or essay subject

e.g Eng Lit, Art, Chemistry, History or whatever really but that would give you a good broad range.
    I do like that mix and I like the different options you get with chemistry however I've been told how different it is from GCSE. I looked at a AS level book and I don't think I could manage :/

I haven't done a modern language since Year 7, would there be a point in choosing one now?

thank you everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA94)
    I do like that mix and I like the different options you get with chemistry however I've been told how different it is from GCSE. I looked at a AS level book and I don't think I could manage :/

I haven't done a modern language since Year 7, would there be a point in choosing one now?

thank you everyone!
    If you haven't done a modern language since Y7, then there is no way that you would be able to do the A Level TBH.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, right now my choices are History, English Lit, R.E and Psychology.
    Any thoughts?

and if I had of been at the school I am at now since year 7 i would of definately done German & French before my GCSE's giving me a chance. Its a shame as I live in Germany too :/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah not bad although you are still limiting yourself really into on field of study, but if you know pretty much what you want to do at University then thats fine. I'd definitely go for history and english lit, then maybe only one out of R.E. and psychology, with one other subject. I don't do either but I seem to get the impression that maybe they're slightly less well respected A levels than others - particularly RE. Do you know what you want to study at Uni?

ReputationRep:
    No I don't specifically, something with English I suppose. I hadn't even looked at a-levels until recently let alone Uni :/

I've been told that doing Psychology, english lit and History I'd have a heavy load of coursework does anyone who takes them agree/disagree?

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA94)
    I recieved a B in my gcse R.E in year 10 but I hadn't considered it.

Yeah I looked at a 'blacklist' and I think History and English Literature would be good choices and they're more respected. But if I take sociology or physcology they're considered 'risky'
    But because i'm not taking maths would science be a good option to take?
    Most preferably biology or chemistry.

Im not dead set on any careers yet but like you said im more drawn to the English/arts.
    Chemistry
    English Lit
    History
    A Foreign Language?

That would be a great combination. Very strong subjects.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.