Turn on thread page Beta

Funding for more than three years at two Unis - can it be done? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was at Uni for three years and left without a degree at the end of 08/09 (retook my first year so left at the end of the second academic year). I've taken a gap year and have a place at a different uni starting 2010/11 - will it be possible to get funding for the whole course?

If it makes any difference;
    - I'm 21 (will be 22 when starting Uni)
    - not going to be living at home
    - probably won't qualify for a grant given my household (parents) income
    - it's a different course
    - i've had a few jobs and now a permanent one until july and will have earned about £7k in total, and pretty much what I earn will be equal to my total savings

This is probably a pretty easy question to answer but I had a quick look around and didn't find anything. Thanks in advance
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ed.j)
    I was at Uni for three years and left without a degree at the end of 08/09 (retook my first year so left at the end of the second academic year). I've taken a gap year and have a place at a different uni starting 2010/11 - will it be possible to get funding for the whole course?

If it makes any difference;
    - I'm 21 (will be 22 when starting Uni)
    - not going to be living at home
    - probably won't qualify for a grant given my household (parents) income
    - it's a different course
    - i've had a few jobs and now a permanent one until july and will have earned about £7k in total, and pretty much what I earn will be equal to my total savings

This is probably a pretty easy question to answer but I had a quick look around and didn't find anything. Thanks in advance
    Usually you're entitled to funding for the length of your degree + 1 year, minus the amount of years you had funding for previously. The years you are entitled to are applied from final year and work backwards.

For example, if you are about to start a 3 yr degree, you'd be entitled to one year of funding in your final year (3 yrs + 1 - the 3 yrs of study you've had funding for before). You would have to self-fund for the first two years. See http://www.nus.org.uk/en/Student-Lif...evious-study-/ for more details, or contact SFE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellybeanjen)
    Usually you're entitled to funding for the length of your degree + 1 year, minus the amount of years you had funding for previously. The years you are entitled to are applied from final year and work backwards.

For example, if you are about to start a 3 yr degree, you'd be entitled to one year of funding in your final year (3 yrs + 1 - the 3 yrs of study you've had funding for before). You would have to self-fund for the first two years. See http://www.nus.org.uk/en/Student-Lif...evious-study-/ for more details, or contact SFE.
    This is mostly true though my financial advisor and student finance have told me that they dont pay for the same year so you will only be entitled to the final year as you already have completed years 1 and 2. The only way you could be funded for your entire course is if you had extenuating circumstances that were compelling enough and then thats only usually allowed for one year. And btw none of the extra stuff you said OP is relevant to your chances of funding.

Why would you apply for another course without checking you can get funded? Do you have any other way to get the total 14k for 2 years?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for that guys.

I should be ok as my parents will be able to fund me through given that I can't get a loan, I just don't like being dependant on them and at 22 it's taking the piss a bit!

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    I thought i would tag along on the end of this thread as its kinda similar to my query at the moment...

I am currently on a gap year after spending 3 years at uni. I didnt complete my final year academically so i want to return. Only problem is i started a course prior to this one in 2005 and had to leave due to personal circumstances. I was only on the course six weeks but i was told this would be seen as my extra year of funding. ]

Again my difficulties in 3rd year where due to similar reasons, so from the responses i have seen does this mean i cannot return to uni without funding the year myself?

I have a child also so doing a degree and 3 day placement as well as working is not an option for me...

I read on the NUS website that exceptional circumstances may be accepted so i guess my only hope lies there am i right?

Thanx in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudyMummy)
    I thought i would tag along on the end of this thread as its kinda similar to my query at the moment...

I am currently on a gap year after spending 3 years at uni. I didnt complete my final year academically so i want to return. Only problem is i started a course prior to this one in 2005 and had to leave due to personal circumstances. I was only on the course six weeks but i was told this would be seen as my extra year of funding. ]

Again my difficulties in 3rd year where due to similar reasons, so from the responses i have seen does this mean i cannot return to uni without funding the year myself?

I have a child also so doing a degree and 3 day placement as well as working is not an option for me...

I read on the NUS website that exceptional circumstances may be accepted so i guess my only hope lies there am i right?

Thanx in advance!
    I dont think you have the ex. cs they look for - mine are dicey if I get my extra year and I have 3 disabilities (2 just happening this year) that mean I have to do my final year part-time over 2 years (1 funded and 1 ex. cs). You could also apply to the access to learning fund - theyre more likely to get you funding as they look at parents and ex. cs that dont get funding from student finance.

But yeah you wouldnt get funding other than ex. cs.

ReputationRep:
    Well my circumstances include: fleeing domestic violence, being homeless (staying in a refuge and hostel) and more recently having to cope with my son's behavioural issues largely related to what he has witnessed in the past.

I can provide supporting letters from housing and DV organisations as well as my son's school to confirm all this.

I guess i just have to see what is said

Thank you for reminding me about the access fund, but considering i will have rent and bills to pay as well as the usual expenses do you think the access fund would be able to do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudyMummy)
    Well my circumstances include: fleeing domestic violence, being homeless (staying in a refuge and hostel) and more recently having to cope with my son's behavioural issues largely related to what he has witnessed in the past.

I can provide supporting letters from housing and DV organisations as well as my son's school to confirm all this.

I guess i just have to see what is said

Thank you for reminding me about the access fund, but considering i will have rent and bills to pay as well as the usual expenses do you think the access fund would be able to do that?
    Look at their elligibility more - i dont need that so havent looked in those areas. But are those the circumstances that meant you didnt complete your final year? Thats the important bit, if its not your fault you couldnt get your degree then theyd fund to complete.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Look at their elligibility more - i dont need that so havent looked in those areas. But are those the circumstances that meant you didnt complete your final year? Thats the important bit, if its not your fault you couldnt get your degree then theyd fund to complete.
    Yes these have been ongoing and the addition of my son's behaviour things kinda took their toll on me with the pressure of so much to complete in the final year.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.