Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

URGENT: someone who knows how a GP's computer system works. watch

ReputationRep:
    This is really urgent. A few months ago I was diagnosed with depression. My doctor printed off a note for my Uni and a prescription for an anti-depressant. I haven't taken these tablets, instead I had a couple of counselling sessions and I feel much better. I suspect I hadn't had depression, I was just going through a low point. Anyway, I remember my doctor saying that he had recorded it on the system in a way so that it wouldn't affect job applications and whatnot?And told me not to worry about it. I was just wondering if this was definitely possible, because I've applied for Camp America, I'm completely over the 'past' , I really want to do it, but I have to fill out a medical form to prove I'm fit for working for them. I really hope the doctor was right!

P.S Mods I'm really sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I thought it would be in the right place if people are doing Medicine, and going down the GP route.

Thanks for all replies

ReputationRep:
    So far as I have seen GP computer systems vary fairly wildly by area.

ReputationRep:
    But surely if Camp America did find out, I would imagine that you could go to the doctor to be given the all clear.

ReputationRep:
    If your GP said it was cool then it probably is.

I don't even think it'll be a big issue if they do know anyway, people pop prozac like polos nowadays, especially Americans.

A GP surgery system will depend on the surgery itself. There are a number of systems they could use. My advice would be to go down to the surgery and enquire? I would think that would be a lot more conclusive than asking on this site.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I wouldn't think that the GP can erase the fact that the prescription was issued but they may well have made a note to say that you didn't take the drugs prescribed and responded well to counselling. Just fill in the form and don't give it another thought

ReputationRep:
    I think the software that Gp's use is called Emis - I'm not sure if its used universally or not. As far as your information goes however, its completely confidential, and camp america would have to ask your permission to look at your medical record, which is unlikely that they'd do that. Also i think you have the right to view that report before its given to them (but its extemely unlikely that they would ask)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Confidentiality?

Shouldn't matter though. Not sure why you'd have to disclose it if you don't believe it was depression? I disclose my epilepsy, but rarely my bipolarity as my medication completely controls it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
    This is really urgent. A few months ago I was diagnosed with depression. My doctor printed off a note for my Uni and a prescription for an anti-depressant. I haven't taken these tablets, instead I had a couple of counselling sessions and I feel much better. I suspect I hadn't had depression, I was just going through a low point. Anyway, I remember my doctor saying that he had recorded it on the system in a way so that it wouldn't affect job applications and whatnot?And told me not to worry about it. I was just wondering if this was definitely possible, because I've applied for Camp America, I'm completely over the 'past' , I really want to do it, but I have to fill out a medical form to prove I'm fit for working for them. I really hope the doctor was right!

P.S Mods I'm really sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I thought it would be in the right place if people are doing Medicine, and going down the GP route.

Thanks for all replies
    It is possible through many different ways, it doesn't even have to be on the summary they print out that they give people, on EMIS (the programme they use at the practice I work at) you can just put an alert on their records so that only people working at the practice can see it for example.

Its against the law for them to request your entire medical records without a full legal reason and your consent, if anything all that could happen when you fill the form in is that they could ask the practice to confirm it, and if your gp has said its not something that will be told to potential employers etc then it won't be disclosed to them.

ReputationRep:
    I apologise, I made a mistake when I was writing that... its the doctor who has to fill out the medical form... not me, and I have to pay for it filling in. So surely he should have to look at my records and stuff... but he said it wouldnt affect my job applications ?? so completely confused...

ReputationRep:
    It different depending on the GP tbh just go down and ask them at worest you could try and get a letter to say you responded to counsiling and that the prescription was never dispensed

I apologise, I made a mistake when I was writing that... its the doctor who has to fill out the medical form... not me, and I have to pay for it filling in. So surely he should have to look at my records and stuff... but he said it wouldnt affect my job applications ?? so completely confused...
    Just talk to your GP when they are filling the form in

ReputationRep:
    I attempted suicide and got accepted for Camp America so I'm sure you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Start >> All Programs >> GP's system

ReputationRep:
    Well then he won't put it down because he doesn't consider it relevant to the form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lell)
    I attempted suicide and got accepted for Camp America so I'm sure you'll be fine.
    you're either really open
    or just not funny

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority of GP surgeries use Emis or Vision in England.
    These are readcode based systems which means your GP would have to decide on the readcode he wanted to enter your condition under. Your description of your symptoms/the fact you have not had to return to follow up suggest more of a "low mood" coding eg than depression.
    If he had coded you as the latter, under the new QOF system, he would have had to issue a PHQ9 at that time and invited you back for follow up/repeat PHQ9. As this hasn't happened I think you can assume he didn't.
    But the best advice is to either ring the surgery to request a quick chat with your GP to clarify the issue. He will not mind helping your application as your symptoms as described on here do not make you a potential liability, which is the only issue at the heart of Camp America seeking the medical report.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lacewing)
    The vast majority of GP surgeries use Emis or Vision in England.
    These are readcode based systems which means your GP would have to decide on the readcode he wanted to enter your condition under. Your description of your symptoms/the fact you have not had to return to follow up suggest more of a "low mood" coding eg than depression.
    If he had coded you as the latter, under the new QOF system, he would have had to issue a PHQ9 at that time and invited you back for follow up/repeat PHQ9. As this hasn't happened I think you can assume he didn't.
    But the best advice is to either ring the surgery to request a quick chat with your GP to clarify the issue. He will not mind helping your application as your symptoms as described on here do not make you a potential liability, which is the only issue at the heart of Camp America seeking the medical report.
    Well.. he asked me to come back before I went home for Christmas.. and I didn't go back because I didn't feel I needed to... :confused: I haven't heard anything else from the doctors..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admflx)
    you're either really open
    or just not funny
    Well I guess I'm really open then. Nobody knows me on here, who cares?!!

ReputationRep:
    On the health form it specifically asks about depression and Camp America specifically states on the website that people who have recently suffered with depression (recently being within the last year) won't be considered suitable for the program.
    Your best bet is to ring Camp Americas head office. You'll probably have to fill in a second health form as well after you submit this one but your doctor doesn't need to sign this one off, it's more of a "more information" type thing for their file.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)
    On the health form it specifically asks about depression and Camp America specifically states on the website that people who have recently suffered with depression (recently being within the last year) won't be considered suitable for the program.
    Your best bet is to ring Camp Americas head office. You'll probably have to fill in a second health form as well after you submit this one but your doctor doesn't need to sign this one off, it's more of a "more information" type thing for their file.
    Maybe my doctor wont consider that its depression since I didnt take the medication, and when I go see him ill be completely fine? All I did was this test thing..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.