Turn on thread page Beta

Need a bit of advice from you fitness gurus watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right guys, I'm a 21 year old female and I'm completely changing my life.
    I used to be obese but through diet alone I'm now just overweight....seriously you have no idea how happy that made me when I jumped off the scales and did the maths.
    Well yeh I've done this all through changing my diet and healthy eating but now I want to get into the gym and work on my fitness rather than just my weight loss.
    I've got a basic council gym membership which includes spin classes (but I'm recovering from a chest infection atm and can't see myself getting through a spin class), swimming, and a gym. It doesn't include anything like personal training and the members of staff who work at the gym are just lifeguards, the gym doens't haven't anyone to ask and if it does they're not available when I have time to get there.
    So fitness god people, does anyone have any tips on what I could do in the gym (I can squeeze in 1hr - 1hr30 mins sessions 3 times a week.
    I can't go on the weekend due to work commitments but I've started doing power walking round the park on Saturday & Sunday mornings.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated =D

ReputationRep:
    Do lightweight high rep dumbbell curls - 3-5kg around reps of 20
    Do some ATG squats as well (will give you a nice booty and great quads :drool:)
    Obviously you should be doing cardio, running/swimming etc.
    Cut your calories down.
    Do some ab work outs as well, women with a slightly toned stomach look amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    Do some ATG squats as well (will give you a nice booty and great quads )
    Obviously you should be doing cardio, running/swimming etc.
    Cut your calories down.
    Do some ab work outs as well, women with a slightly toned stomach look amazing.
    Wicked thanks =D aren't the big muscly men going to laugh at the little girl playing with the free weights? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    Wicked thanks =D aren't the big muscly men going to laugh at the little girl playing with the free weights? lol
    No one will care really.

ReputationRep:
    Where's the logic behind that chum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Where's the logic behind that chum
    Quite a few reasons really. Objectively it helps to strengthen and build up biceps/triceps (nothing like bulking up) but it makes the muscles need to consume more calories daily = you loose weight faster. So effectively it helps to increase your metabolism and loose weight in a more long-term manor than just running. As well as making your health better as it increases your bone density and so on. Subjectively it helps tone up the arms (not to the extent of bodybuilders or men), tone looks sexy what ever sex.

Imo women should always do free weights, heck I know a lot of girls who lift because it lowers their body fat and increases their lean mass. None of them what so ever are muscly because women hardly put on muscle - They produce estrogen not testosterone and so muscle building is extremely limited and slow on a women. But for some bizarre reason women think that by doing weights they'll suddenly get muscly which is completely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few reasons really. Objectively it helps to strengthen and build up biceps/triceps (nothing like bulking up) but it makes the muscles need to consume more calories daily = you loose weight faster. So effectively it helps to increase your metabolism and loose weight in a more long-term manor than just running. As well as making your health better as it increases your bone density and so on. Subjectively it helps tone up the arms (not to the extent of bodybuilders or men), tone looks sexy what ever sex.

Imo women should always do free weights, heck I know a lot of girls who lift because it lowers their body fat and increases their lean mass. None of them what so ever are muscly because women hardly put on muscle - They produce estrogen not testosterone and so muscle building is extremely limited and slow on a women. But for some bizarre reason women think that by doing weights they'll suddenly get muscly which is completely wrong.
    It's not a question of why girls should do weights, it's why you would recommend high reps at low weight and why you would recommend solely bicep curls. It would be far more valuable to do a full body routine incorporating compound movements at a rep range of more like 8-10 and a good amount of weight.

To tackle the points in your first paragraph, high rep low weight exercises aren't for 'toning', they're for endurance. Toning comes from increasing muscle size and decreasing body fat. Higher weights at lower reps contribute more to building visible muscle (though, as you say, women are never going to become intimidatingly muscular without massive dedication to doing so) and a routine of heavy compounds will burn many more calories than doing isolation exercises.

ReputationRep:

Shocking, and you have 12 A*s, someone with your intellectual caliber should not be posting such incredible fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    It's not a question of why girls should do weights, it's why you would recommend high reps at low weight and why you would recommend solely bicep curls. It would be far more valuable to do a full body routine incorporating compound movements at a rep range of more like 8-10 and a good amount of weight.

To tackle the points in your first paragraph, high rep low weight exercises aren't for 'toning', they're for endurance. Toning comes from increasing muscle size and decreasing body fat. Higher weights at lower reps contribute more to building visible muscle (though, as you say, women are never going to become intimidatingly muscular without massive dedication to doing so) and a routine of heavy compounds will burn many more calories than doing isolation exercises.
    I'm pretty sure I mentioned compound exercises.
    In a mind of a women toning = loosing fat = increased definition even though you and I both no the definition isn't occurring via increased muscle mass, just a lower B/F. I hate the word tone/toning but it seems to be the only word anyone ever uses 'I wanna get like toned for summer'

High Rep low weight burns fat faster than zee old high weight low rep.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure I mentioned compound exercises.
    In a mind of a women toning = loosing fat = increased definition even though you and I both no the definition isn't occurring via increased muscle mass, just a lower B/F. I hate the word tone/toning but it seems to be the only word anyone ever uses 'I wanna get like toned for summer'

High Rep low weight burns fat faster than zee old high weight low rep.
    Wrong.

I mean jesus christ the information is ******* there on the internet, why does no one want to ******* use it?!

Everyday I said, there must be at least one fail.

ReputationRep:
    High intensity interval training, using rowers, going running, you could probably do it in a swimming pool. Supplement this with bodyweight exercises - chinups, planks, BW squats, pushups etc etc etc and you're good to go.

You don't really need to do weights to get a toned body, my dancer friends don't do weights and they are :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Wrong.

I mean jesus christ the information is ******* there on the internet, why does no one want to ******* use it?!

Everyday I said, there must be at least one fail.
    You're actually right. My bad.

Every girl I know who trains does high intensity compound lifts and low intensity isolation. I don't do any low intensity and so never really looked into it.

ReputationRep:
    Curls are for girls, yes, but this is terrible advice.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.