Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm hoping to apply for GEP medicine in 2011 - Currently I work as an occupational therapist, and i reckon i have a good chance at it - if I get through the whole UKCAT bit.
    In practicing, i'm fine at all areas except QR, which I just go to bits on - I did great in GCSE maths, but this is very different! Any tips or advice - Seriously worried now...??

Rach

ReputationRep:
    Most people find QR especially hard.

I found the actual maths to be easier than any of the practice i'd done, especially the downlaodable thing on the UKCAT website.

Don't put pressure on yourself, the test has to be difficult to be able to distinguish candidates, but i'm sure you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Keep practising, and remember most people don't finish QR, so work as quickly as you can and guess the rest. Do as much practice as you can and if you see a long question, skip it. btw you are allowed a basic calculator.. I didn't realise for ages :o:

Good Luck

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rach1900)
    Hi,
    I'm hoping to apply for GEP medicine in 2011 - Currently I work as an occupational therapist, and i reckon i have a good chance at it - if I get through the whole UKCAT bit.
    In practicing, i'm fine at all areas except QR, which I just go to bits on - I did great in GCSE maths, but this is very different! Any tips or advice - Seriously worried now...??

Rach
    What book are you using?

ReputationRep:
    The 600Q book is good, keep practicing :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rach1900)
    Hi,

Rach
    Ha I panicked during the QR, only managed to answer a quarter of the questions without guessing and promptly left the room. The only time I actually knew I had failed an exam halfway through. It was basically through lack of preparation, find a practice course for it as well, I found those really helpful for the BMAT

ReputationRep:
    Bit early, is it not?

And studies have shown that that Kawishima game does jack all for your long term memory, though it'll help you do REALLY simple arithmetic (which is SLIGHTLY too simple for the UKCAT).

The 600Q book is the only one I'd recommend, the rest are garbage :|

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, if you are using the 600 Questions book to prepare & the sample tests online, the QR questions in those are SO much harder than in the real UKCAT. I did fairly badly on those QR practice questions, but on the real UKCAT (which i sat last August) I absolutely shocked myself and got 760. In the real test the questions were A LOT easier, and you don't need to finish the section to get a good score. In fact, i would go as far as saying it's virtually impossible to finish. I got about 50% of the questions finished (and guessed the remaining 50%) on the QR section and got what i thought to be a good score.

I really do think practicing UKCAT improves your score, and the fact that you are already practicing puts you at a great advantage, because i doubt many other people will start practicing until April at the earliest. The best book to buy to prepare is definitely the 600 Question book, despite the QR questions being a bit harder than those on the real thing. I also used onexamination.com which is okay, but not amazing.

Hope this helps! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)

That game (or one in the same vein) once told me I had the brain of a 7 year old.

I hate them... :dry:

ReputationRep:
    You what? You know it's not even February yet right?

ReputationRep:
    can any of you pm me this 600q book im gonan need it :P

ReputationRep:
    600 ukcat book and maybe the oneexamination site. One months subscription would be enough (the month before the test). To be honest if you want to guarentee a better score I would nail the quant reasoning. I did this (840) by plenty of arithmetic practise and just juggling figures, after that it is timing, I found I finished all the questions with 15 seconds to spare, which was a big improvement from the first year I took the test where I got 620 in the QR. The abstract reasoning can also be practised, you can certainly get your mind into the methods and if all else fails you could use a sort of elimination process, such as

-is it the no. of sides of certain objects
    -colour
    -number of something
    -orientation
    etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by papajames)
    can any of you pm me this 600q book im gonan need it :P
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/into-Medical.../dp/1905812094

But tbh, you just need to start preparing in the beginning of the summer. I did a few weeks and got 645.

ReputationRep:
    its a bit early isnt it? QR was by far my worst when i did the UKCAT, and is basically because i didnt practise enough. ou just need to keep going over questions with graphs and probability *thats what i remember from mie, it might have changed now*

Good luck though ^_^

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand all this UKCAT malarky. Glad I didn't have to do it. Have also heard good things about the 600 practice questions book.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    That game (or one in the same vein) once told me I had the brain of a 7 year old.

LOL that's evil

I found brain training really useful for QR, it's all simple arithmetic but it's timed so you'd have to do something like 154/7 in like 3 seconds which I felt helped me work faster in the QR part. Perhaps it's because I do A level maths so I didn't have to think much either way but meh, I just like the floating head guy :p:

ReputationRep:
    Most people can't complete anywhere near all the QR session and this reflects in the scoring. So if you are practicing and think you are only getting say 50% right, this doesn't mean you will only score 450 on the actual test. I know on mine I didn't do very well at all on the practices (even though I was getting them all right, I just couldn't do more than about 12 in the time) yet in the real thing this was my highest score, with 810. Just keep practicing and I'm sure it will be OK on the day

Also, you could apply to the unis which don't place that much stress on the UKCAT, for example Birmingham and Southampton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)

I got Rocket Speed on the coin counting game BIATCH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 916-CALL-TURK)
    I got Rocket Speed on the coin counting game BIATCH
    Well I did try a free version of "who has the biggest brain" or some other such nonsense on an iPod Touch yesterday and was told that I had a brain generations ahead of my time, so swings and roundabouts I guess. :p:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.