Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I work in retail but its a small, quite successful delicatesssen type place. I am usually very good at my job, recently had an email about my excellent customer service but I ****** up pretty badly yesterday.

I'm still at sixth form and part of a essay was to write about people's reactions to third world poverty/international issues when mentioned.

So when I was serving this young guy with a nike jumper, we were making general banter and - this is one of the most stupidest things i've ever done - I said 'That's a really nice jumper.' He thanked me, I continued 'to think it comes from cheap labour and third world conditions' --- something like that i can't remember ----

and he replied 'I came to buy my food, not get grief about my jumper' ...
    I had obviously gone too far and I regret it so much. I did apologise profusely and say 'i'm really sorry, I was only joking' and he didn't seem too angry, continued the transaction being as polite as physically possible, being overly nice.

This was yesterday. And I still feel pretty bad about. Also, I am a bit worried he got home, still felt pretty pissed and has decided to email a complaint/something similar.

I reckon he was maybe 24-30. What do you all think?

ReputationRep:
    if he wos 24-30 nd werin a nike jumper he probs typs lyk dis x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vilage_idoit)
    Unhelpful however rather amusing.

ReputationRep:
    It should be fine.

#1 Most people wouldn't bother complaining about something like that, especially if he was a younger guy. I would be worried if it was an older lady though, they seem to be the type to complain..

#2 Even though it was inappropriate, it wasn't a completely callous comment - it was promoting a good message and who knows, maybe the guy will take note and buy different brands from now on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bumbles)
    Well actually it's helpful Assuming he's a retard, he's most likely not going to complain because he's a caveman and doesn't give a ****. Only elitist knobs complain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed_jnr)
    It should be fine.

#1 Most people wouldn't bother complaining about something like that, especially if he was a younger guy. I would be worried if it was an older lady though, they seem to be the type to complain..

#2 Even though it was inappropriate, it wasn't a completely callous comment - it was promoting a good message and who knows, maybe the guy will take note and buy different brands from now on.
    Hey thanks for the reply, that makes me feel slightly better.

I agree, it's the middle aged women you've got to watch out for!

ReputationRep:
    i would complain yes, one thing i can not stand is cheeky customer service people, like he say he went in to buy his food not to get hassle whether you 'were joking' or not

ReputationRep:
    ..you even spelt idiot wrong in your name.

ReputationRep:
    Why does wearing a Nike Jumper make you a retard? Better than those grandpa jumpers some people wear..

ReputationRep:
    to be fair, accurate also :p:

ReputationRep:
    to think it comes from cheap labour and third world conditions
    I'm surprised you didn't get "you and my jumper both" back at ya.

Shopping is already enough hassle as it is. It's really annoying when the people serving you give you a lecture or cause you trouble or w/e. If I was having a bad day I would have almost certainly complained formally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    i would complain yes, one thing i can not stand is cheeky customer service people, like he say he went in to buy his food not to get hassle whether you 'were joking' or not
    I did apologise
    So, if this happened to you; you would get home look for the buisness' contact details and complain?

ReputationRep:
    I did apologise
    So, if this happened to you; you would get home look for the buisness' contact details and complain?
    no

i would complain while i was there, i would demand to speak to the management

at the end of the day you have no right commenting on someone elses clothes, whether you said sorry ot not you shouldnt have said it in the first place

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, oh dear... :p:

Since it was a one-off and you realised your mistake and apologised, I doubt he'd make a formal complaint. The only reasons I would make a written complaint to a shop would be,
    a) If I was completely paranoid, pedantic and hypercritical
    b) If I had repeatedly had unsatisfactory service in the shop
    c) If you had been insulting right from the start (no friendly banter)
    d) If you had continued to make inappropriate comments
    e) If you hadn't apologised.
    Mostly you have to hope he's not going to go with (a). I don't think many people of that nature tend to wear Nike jumpers, so you should be safe

Might be wise to keep work and study thoughts kept in different parts of your mind from now on, though I hope it works out ok

ReputationRep:
    He probably ate the nice food and forgot about it tbh, I wouldn't worry, you apologised anyway so if he does complain he's a moody git

ReputationRep:
    Well actually it's helpful Assuming he's a retard, he's most likely not going to complain because he's a caveman and doesn't give a ****. Only elitist knobs complain.
    Wow. You really know and love everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I work in retail but its a small, quite successful delicatesssen type place. I am usually very good at my job, recently had an email about my excellent customer service but I ****** up pretty badly yesterday.

I'm still at sixth form and part of a essay was to write about people's reactions to third world poverty/international issues when mentioned.

So when I was serving this young guy with a nike jumper, we were making general banter and - this is one of the most stupidest things i've ever done - I said 'That's a really nice jumper.' He thanked me, I continued 'to think it comes from cheap labour and third world conditions' --- something like that i can't remember ----

and he replied 'I came to buy my food, not get grief about my jumper' ...
    I had obviously gone too far and I regret it so much. I did apologise profusely and say 'i'm really sorry, I was only joking' and he didn't seem too angry, continued the transaction being as polite as physically possible, being overly nice.

This was yesterday. And I still feel pretty bad about. Also, I am a bit worried he got home, still felt pretty pissed and has decided to email a compliment/something similar.

I reckon he was maybe 24-30. What do you all think?
    I certainly wouldn't decide to email a compliment if you gave me grief XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jukukiwaiyi)
    I certainly wouldn't decide to email a compliment if you gave me grief XD
    :p: Funny guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSB01)
    ..you even spelt idiot wrong in your name.
    Read my whole username.

GREAT SUCCESS.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't complain about it, I'd just laugh it off.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.