The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is it possible for a foreigner to end up looking more English than a native Citizen?

Well, i really love this country and when i came over from France two years ago i made a decision: I will live, study, and work in this country! Do you think it is possible for a foreigner to end up completely fluent in RP (King's English, [Basically end up speaking with a perfect Elizabeth or Prince Charles accent...]), to dress like a traditional englishman and really give everyone the impression to be British? Please discuss!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Of course it is. For several reasons; firstly, if you really want to do a thing, you can do it, whatever it is. Secondly, there aren't actually many "traditional" english people any more, so the natives often seem less native than someone who has integrated well.
Reply 2
I believe this is the 21st century
Andylol
I believe this is the 21st century

So do i! But i still believe drinking Earl Grey in a Three Piece suit is lovely!
Reply 4
Rule Britannia!
Well, i really love this country and when i came over from France two years ago i made a decision: I will live, study, and work in this country! Do you think it is possible for a foreigner to end up completely fluent in RP (King's English, [Basically end up speaking with a perfect Elizabeth or Prince Charles accent...]), to dress like a traditional englishman and really give everyone the impression to be British? Please discuss!

Mainland Europeans tend to dress kinda weird. Try not to stand out too much.
Look English maybe, but if you able to jettison the country of your birth and upbringing that easily then you lack the resolve of a true Englishman, begone you foul pretender.
Reply 6
Rule Britannia!

Why would anyone want to follow British standards of fashion, given how dire they are? Well women, men's ok. Now speak with a great accent is possible, but it may take time. In general, people who don't know I'm French think I sound weird at times but can't say where I'm from. I've had Northerners asking me if I was from "down South" and non-British English speakers seem to think I'm British (oh, and plenty of people seem to think that the Scottish accent sounds the same as Southerner accent, when you go abroad. They told my friend from London she had a Scottish accent, when she clearly didn't…)
Cesare Borgia
Look English maybe, but if you able to jettison the country of your birth and upbringing that easily then you lack the resolve of a true Englishman, begone you foul pretender.

You are beneath my notice good sir!

Just joking, why, i love this country and some of my ancestors were English, i'm just trying to link up with the past.
Reply 8
Whatever you want to do, don't change your French accent :no:
Anatheme
Why would anyone want to follow British standards of fashion, given how dire they are? Well women, men's ok. Now speak with a great accent is possible, but it may take time. In general, people who don't know I'm French think I sound weird at times but can't say where I'm from. I've had Northerners asking me if I was from "down South" and non-British English speakers seem to think I'm British (oh, and plenty of people seem to think that the Scottish accent sounds the same as Southerner accent, when you go abroad. They told my friend from London she had a Scottish accent, when she clearly didn't…)

The funny thing is that i hate the French accent and therefore eliminated it from my er... Vocal Register? Its kinda odd, now people tell me i have an Austrian Accent...
Rule Britannia!
You are beneath my notice good sir!

Just joking, why, i love this country and some of my ancestors were English, i'm just trying to link up with the past.

That however, is acceptable, you were an Englishman abroad. Yeah as long as you are white European and speak good English you should be okay, there will be some cultural oddities you will need to pick up on though, queueing/talking about the weather/pessimism etc.

Of course it is.
Yeah I believe so, I've been capable of fully integrating from France, people would only know that I'm French if I were to tell them. I speak perfect English albeit with a Scouse accent so no RP here, wouldn't want to speak RP anyhow. If I cared enough I would fully class myself as English but I don't, I'm not really a patriotic person, if anything I still see French as my main nationality but above all I class myself as a Liverpudlian and pride myself in this city before any nation.
Reply 13
Rule Britannia!
The funny thing is that i hate the French accent and therefore eliminated it from my er... Vocal Register? Its kinda odd, now people tell me i have an Austrian Accent...

I did pretty much the same and I just have a foreign accent, with no specific nationality attached to it.
superwolf

Of course it is.

This is more what i had in mind:

Anatheme
I did pretty much the same and I just have a foreign accent, with no specific nationality attached to it.

I wish i could speak like Charles!
Reply 16
Why would one ever wish to speak in such manner as aristocrats??

This is hideous and truly bizarre!!!!

speakin' like dis is da way forward..innit! the naughties are ova blud and it's the 'eens so get wiv it blud...

:P:

in all seriousness, it is possible. I've been here for over 10 years. And for me it's only the way I look that gives me away! Otherwise, no one has any way of knowing that I haven't been here for all my life, nor that English is my second language!

In terms of culture, again, yes it's possible. You MUST integrate and get involved in all sorts of thing in your community whether it's volunteering, charity work, going to the pub, cooking roast on a Sunday etc....

Thing is, in today's society, it's difficult to say what's "English"/"British" and what isn't!!! Cultures are intertwined between one another, resulting in a culture which is very diverse.

E.g. In a recent survey, Britain's favourite dish was found to be Chicken Tikka Masala... now that's not British. It's Indian.

Now if your after true "English"/"British" then I would recommend reading something Shakespeare, H.G. Wells, Dickinson.

Anyway good luck dude :biggrin:
Meagz
Mainland Europeans tend to dress kinda weird. Try not to stand out too much.

Lol, seriously?
Rule Britannia!
This is more what i had in mind:

You've clearly missed out on a fine piece of British culture. The picture was from Goodness Gracious Me, a BBC comedy series from a few years ago. I recommend you watch it.
superwolf
You've clearly missed out on a fine piece of British culture. The picture was from Goodness Gracious Me, a BBC comedy series from a few years ago. I recommend you watch it.

I will! (If i can find it that is)

Latest