Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible for a foreigner to end up looking more English than a native Citizen? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rule Britannia!)
    I will! (If i can find it that is)

Have a look.

ReputationRep:
    And as for the four characters in the earlier posts...

ReputationRep:
    It is possible. I was shocked to learn that my french teacher was french as her accent and use of english seemed perfect and she'd only been here for 8 years at the time.
    On the other hand my mother came to england a decade ago from south america and will probably never pass as english because her grammar is so bad.
    I think it depends what age you arrive at. 30 was too late for my mum but if you arrive earlier and stay here you should manage it.

ReputationRep:
    We speak the queens english....Not the kings, he dies quite a while back now

ReputationRep:
    Well, George VII is soon to reign, don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    Let's be honest there's no real Englishman culture in Britain anymore, its limited to the academic or upper class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rule Britannia!)
    Well, i really love this country and when i came over from France two years ago i made a decision: I will live, study, and work in this country! Do you think it is possible for a foreigner to end up completely fluent in RP (King's English, [Basically end up speaking with a perfect Elizabeth or Prince Charles accent...]), to dress like a traditional englishman and really give everyone the impression to be British? Please discuss!
    You obviously love Britain a lot. I think that's wonderful.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.