Turn on thread page Beta

TSR, how can I make 'nerdy/gamer' friends in real life? watch

Announcements

The situation is this. I'm relatively new to the whole scene of anime, gaming and graphic novels. I never used to be into this sort of thing until about 1 year ago.

I used to be a bit of a wild child, having parties with my housemates every other night, getting drunk and, well, you know the rest.... I think it's all out of my system now. Now, I'm pretty much the opposite, and am finding I have less and less in common with my current friends.

I don't want to turn into one of those people who cuts themselves off from society and spends all their time online. I want to meet people who share my interests. I want to do some cosplay and LARP before I'm too old. Yeah, I know TSR is teeming with people like this, but I want to talk to people in real life. It's so annoying that I have to go on the internet to discuss my interests with people, rather than talk to my friends about it.

I assume that people are like me, and actually go out, but where to they hang out? How can I talk to them? It's all very well striking up a conversation with someone by the anime section in HMV (I've done this a few times), but how do I move things further?

ReputationRep:
    Keep your online life and normal life separate. Make friends online, but don't forget your friends off. Just ask around at parties and stuff. I'm sure thers loads of people who like games and anime

PS I love playing games ;P

ReputationRep:
    Cut out the anime and graphic novels. Become t3h 1337 gam3z0r!!!!

ReputationRep:
    ask around friends at school, i'm sure plenty of people like the same sort of stuff.

failing that study something like computer science at uni

ReputationRep:
    Start up a WoW, amine, etc society in school, college, uni.

Some kids may laugh (ignore these idiots) but you'll find people you are looking for.

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Indeed it sucks. Though it was easier when I was in my home city before I moved to this dank ******** where it feels like i'm in pleasantville and EVERYBODY is the same.

ReputationRep:
    Interact online and meet them in real life. I'm friends with somebody who I've been gaming with for six years and met for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Was pretty cool.

ReputationRep:
    If you're around Oxford I'd be happy to chat about those things.xD
    Also try the manga section of Waterstones if you have one.

ReputationRep:
    There is a surprising amount of people who are interested in that sorta thing, as much as people with strong interests in other random stuff - I used to worry about finding people with similar interests, and just found that I naturally seemed to find myself interacting with people like that. I think it's just a problem because the average person has absolutely no knowledge anime/gaming etc. (like my old housemate who used to ask me why I watched 'chinese cartoons' all the time). I'm not really sure about LARPing, but there are anime festivals/events all the time, if you have absolutely no one to go with, maybe you could just convince a friend to just come down with you for a laugh? My friends g/f is into the whole cosplay scene and convinced him to come down to one, and now he might be doing some cosplay himself soon - and as much as this guy loved Death Note after showing it him, i'd hardly described him as an anime enthusiast.

(Original post by Floria)
    If you're around Oxford I'd be happy to chat about those things.xD
    Also try the manga section of Waterstones if you have one.
    No I'm in London at the moment. I do sometimes chat to people when I'm in bookstores and dvd stores but it's just hard to take things further than a brief chat.

ReputationRep:
    If you're in London I know there are some roleplay societies around there, if you're at uni see if your uni has one. Join a society, meet some lovely geeky people, all geek at eachother.

ReputationRep:
    I just asked one of my friends do you watch 'insert anime' and if they said no just said its a show i watch its pretty cool, that could get people to watch the show then they can be that person you have conversations with.

ReputationRep:
    Become a sub and go to TSR meets

ReputationRep:
    Edit: guttedd

(Original post by a_t)
    Become a sub and go to TSR meets
    Thing is, I don't want to have to meet people off the internet. As well as being dangerous it's also time-consuming and means I end up spending more time online. I just want to meet people in real life.

(Original post by puma21)
    I just asked one of my friends do you watch 'insert anime' and if they said no just said its a show i watch its pretty cool, that could get people to watch the show then they can be that person you have conversations with.
    Ah, I've actually been trying this, but it's pretty much impossible to get someone to watch an entire series of anime when they have little interest in it. My current friends are still into the whole student scene - getting drunk every night etc., and this is where the problem lies. I simply need to find other friends.

(Original post by jg87)
    If you're in London I know there are some roleplay societies around there, if you're at uni see if your uni has one. Join a society, meet some lovely geeky people, all geek at eachother.
    My uni has an anime society and I am a member but nothing's been happening really... it's pretty much been dead since everyone is concentrating on exams and dissertations.

ReputationRep:
    OMG I LOVE RUNESCAPE AND WORLD OF WARCRAFT! even though I don't play them anymore... the partyhat, and human warlock will always remain in my heart... <3 =]

ReputationRep:
    Start a club at your Uni of your own for graphic novels! Or a Facebook group where people can join and discuss their interests within your University's facebook network! Then you could meet the people who join it in real life. I'm sure there's lots of people who want to meet someone to discuss the mutual interests as well.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.