Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    shower head check? whats that? they check if girls have shower heads??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ritho)
    how does the kitchen thing work? isn't there one per flat(5 or 6 room)?
    also what do you know about rosebery Myddelton Wing? can I have my own fridge there?

I want a single room, preferably en suite, which three should I choose? and how about intercollegiate ones?

thank you very much!!
    I have lived in Bankside for two years so cannot comment on the other halls. With Bankside, you have to apply for kitchen access, with some other halls kitchen access is provided, although there may not be a restaurant.

You hall choice will depend on whether you want to prepare your own food, single or shared preference and how close to LSE you want to be.

Bankside has both food options, single and shared rooms and is a 25/30 minute walk to LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unsung_hero)
    I have lived in Bankside for two years so cannot comment on the other halls. With Bankside, you have to apply for kitchen access, with some other halls kitchen access is provided, although there may not be a restaurant.

You hall choice will depend on whether you want to prepare your own food, single or shared preference and how close to LSE you want to be.

Bankside has both food options, single and shared rooms and is a 25/30 minute walk to LSE.

thanks! you are a great help!

ReputationRep:
    what i liked about carr saunders is that it was near UCL too so you can meet UCL people aswell
    plus its the cheapest :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milan.)
    what i liked about carr saunders is that it was near UCL too so you can meet UCL people aswell
    plus its the cheapest :ninja:
    lol i read this with lazy eyes and i thought you wrote "its good because you can upset UCL"

:yep: cos lse > :P

On a more serious note - I know that you can begin applying for accommodation in feb - but is that true for people with offers? And how do you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Srije)
    On a more serious note - I know that you can begin applying for accommodation in feb - but is that true for people with offers? And how do you apply?
    Yes, only offers I think.

You apply by going on the accommodation part of the LSE website. In your offer pack, you should have something about accommodation I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)

You apply by going on the accommodation part of the LSE website. In your offer pack, you should have something about accommodation I believe.
    is it first come first serve? or are people applying in february no better off than those applying in may?

ReputationRep:

I see - the accommodation bit in the pack doesn't really give information about in which halls you have to share a room in the first year etc...

Which halls is it compulsory?

I was talking to a friend who said that in High Holborn all the good rooms go to the postgrads... the the crap rooms which face a wall and let v little light through are depressing?

Anyway to get a good room with a good view?

ReputationRep:
    is it first come first serve? or are people applying in february no better off than those applying in may?
    It's a lottery system, but people who are clued up about accommodation always advise to apply early. I would advise you to put your first choice as your second choice on the actual form because very few people get their first, where as quite a few get their second (in many, many cases you find 1 guy had Bankside as his first but got High Holborn, where as another guy had High Holborn as his first but got Bankside).

ReputationRep:
    It's a lottery system, but people who are clued up about accommodation always advise to apply early. I would advise you to put your first choice as your second choice on the actual form because very few people get their first, where as quite a few get their second (in many, many cases you find 1 guy had Bankside as his first but got High Holborn, where as another guy had High Holborn as his first but got Bankside).
    somehow those two guys could find each other and swap?!

do you know how competitive carr saunders halls are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Srije)
    I see - the accommodation bit in the pack doesn't really give information about in which halls you have to share a room in the first year etc...

Which halls is it compulsory?
    I think only NH is compulsory, can't think of any others that literally force you. That said, you could apply for a single at Bankside but be given a twin.

I was talking to a friend who said that in High Holborn all the good rooms go to the postgrads... the the crap rooms which face a wall and let v little light through are depressing?

Anyway to get a good room with a good view?
    The thing about postgrads is most likely true. Unless you come up with a completely BS excuse about sunlight or something, you're unlikely to get one (at HH).

ReputationRep:
    somehow those two guys could find each other and swap?!
    The problem is they don't let you swap until you've spent 2 weeks at LSE (I found a guy to swap with in June but wasn't allowed to swap). And then, most likely, you'll find that at least one of you no longer wants to swap because you realise that the diferences between the halls are very little and what you really care about is your friends, who'll be almost exclusively from your halls, so you won't want to leave. Indeed, the guy I found in June no longer wanted to swap.

do you know how competitive carr saunders halls are?
    It's not very popular at all in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    I think only NH is compulsory, can't think of any others that literally force you. That said, you could apply for a single at Bankside but be given a twin.

The thing about postgrads is most likely true. Unless you come up with a completely BS excuse about sunlight or something, you're unlikely to get one (at HH).
    I see - I had been wondering whether to invent a Vitamin D skin problem :yep: :p:

As for the second choice thingy - are you doubly doubly sure ? I really want holborn as my accom for the first year... But my mate gave me some phone numbers of his friends' accommodation and advised me to check them out in person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Srije)
    As for the second choice thingy - are you doubly doubly sure ? I really want holborn as my accom for the first year...
    It's a lottery... could turn out either way (or you may even not be given an LSE hall, but instead an intercollegiate one...)

ReputationRep:
    It's a lottery... could turn out either way (or you may even not be given an LSE hall, but instead an intercollegiate one...)
    I see - thank you for the info

ReputationRep:
    The problem is they don't let you swap until you've spent 2 weeks at LSE (I found a guy to swap with in June but wasn't allowed to swap). And then, most likely, you'll find that at least one of you no longer wants to swap because you realise that the diferences between the halls are very little and what you really care about is your friends, who'll be almost exclusively from your halls, so you won't want to leave. Indeed, the guy I found in June no longer wanted to swap.

yess! not popular is good!
    admittedly its the only halls i've seen but they seem perfectly fine so!
    and i love the location

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Interested to see some of the thoughts in this thread, but thought I'd add my own assistance as the LSE Students' Union's Residences Officer.

Applications for September 2010 will open shortly, online at http://www.lse.ac.uk/accommodation. The application is completely online, and whilst you are requested to put down three LSE and three UoL choices, the allocation is a lottery process.

The School are changing the allocation outline of individual halls for 2010 in response to feedback from students, so this will also affect which halls you are eligible to apply for or have a greater chance of being offered.

If you need any additional help or questions answered, I'd be happy to answer them by email - [email protected].

ReputationRep:

Carr-Saunders remains on of LSE's most popular halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acwright)
    Hi,

Interested to see some of the thoughts in this thread, but thought I'd add my own assistance as the LSE Students' Union's Residences Officer.

Applications for September 2010 will open shortly, online at http://www.lse.ac.uk/accommodation. The application is completely online, and whilst you are requested to put down three LSE and three UoL choices, the allocation is a lottery process.

The School are changing the allocation outline of individual halls for 2010 in response to feedback from students, so this will also affect which halls you are eligible to apply for or have a greater chance of being offered.

If you need any additional help or questions answered, I'd be happy to answer them by email - [email protected].
    how is it changing?

question, are all undergraduates guaranteed halls for the first year?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acwright)
    Eh?

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.