Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

We've been given an essay question home for Jekyll and Hyde, as our mocks are coming up soon. [Higher English].

The question is:
    "Choose a novel of which a main character is important in conveying a writer's theme.

Expalin what you consider the theme to be, and how effective the fate of a character convey's it."

I'm stumped. So far I've got the theme is Duality...any ideas on what I could write on 'how effective the fate of a character' conveys duality? Jekyll's fate?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

I've kinda got:
    -The theme is purveyed through Jekyll, as
    -Jekyll's house (two-doors),
    -Jekyll's opposition to Lanyon's way of science,
    -Jekyll-Hyde Complex
    -And Jekyll's death (his fate) is effective in conveying duality because
    -He dies as Hyde's figure, which gives off the idea of two faces > duality
    -He says and it shows that we both have both good and evil within us > duality

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Sorry, I haven't read it in absolute ages, but isn't there also a passage (possibly in Jekyll's 'confession') in which he's writing about his youth and about how he always felt as though there was a split of sorts, long before he did those experiments? I vaguely remember that as being a fairly crucial passage, because it indicates that duality is really something which is fundamental to Jekyll's character and that it was perhaps never really caused by those weird chemicals he drinks; they only helped to externalise it and make it visible through the character of Hyde. Or is that all included under the heading of 'Jekyll-Hyde Complex'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Sorry, I haven't read it in absolute ages, but isn't there also a passage (possibly in Jekyll's 'confession') in which he's writing about his youth and about how he always felt as though there was a split of sorts, long before he did those experiments? I vaguely remember that as being a fairly crucial passage, because it indicates that duality is really something which is fundamental to Jekyll's character and that it was perhaps never really caused by those weird chemicals he drinks; they only helped to externalise it and make it visible through the character of Hyde. Or is that all included under the heading of 'Jekyll-Hyde Complex'?
    Thank you! I put it under Jekyll's fate. I posted an essay plan here.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.