The Student Room Group

Jekyll and Hyde Essay Question.

Hi,

We've been given an essay question home for Jekyll and Hyde, as our mocks are coming up soon. [Higher English].

The question is:
"Choose a novel of which a main character is important in conveying a writer's theme.

Expalin what you consider the theme to be, and how effective the fate of a character convey's it."

I'm stumped. So far I've got the theme is Duality...any ideas on what I could write on 'how effective the fate of a character' conveys duality? Jekyll's fate?

:s-smilie:
Reply 1
Anyone? :frown:

I've kinda got:
-The theme is purveyed through Jekyll, as
-Jekyll's house (two-doors),
-Jekyll's opposition to Lanyon's way of science,
-Jekyll-Hyde Complex
-And Jekyll's death (his fate) is effective in conveying duality because
-He dies as Hyde's figure, which gives off the idea of two faces > duality
-He says and it shows that we both have both good and evil within us > duality

:s-smilie:
Reply 2
Sorry, I haven't read it in absolute ages, but isn't there also a passage (possibly in Jekyll's 'confession') in which he's writing about his youth and about how he always felt as though there was a split of sorts, long before he did those experiments? I vaguely remember that as being a fairly crucial passage, because it indicates that duality is really something which is fundamental to Jekyll's character and that it was perhaps never really caused by those weird chemicals he drinks; they only helped to externalise it and make it visible through the character of Hyde. Or is that all included under the heading of 'Jekyll-Hyde Complex'?
Reply 3
hobnob
Sorry, I haven't read it in absolute ages, but isn't there also a passage (possibly in Jekyll's 'confession') in which he's writing about his youth and about how he always felt as though there was a split of sorts, long before he did those experiments? I vaguely remember that as being a fairly crucial passage, because it indicates that duality is really something which is fundamental to Jekyll's character and that it was perhaps never really caused by those weird chemicals he drinks; they only helped to externalise it and make it visible through the character of Hyde. Or is that all included under the heading of 'Jekyll-Hyde Complex'?

Thank you! I put it under Jekyll's fate. I posted an essay plan here.

Latest

Trending

Trending