Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so what..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by time.to.dance)
    What form of activity would you advice to slim down around the waist area?
    I'm not much into gym working out at all.. I run on w/ds, dance twice a week now only, judo for 2 hours a week and cycle for 20 mins everyday. I'm okaish about my body, but won't be very happy in a bikini at all!
    Main question: in your advice, what should i do to get a waist like hers? :teeth:
    (Original post by natasha_c)
    Sorry so now cardios bad???? Why do personal trainers on telly always use cardio then?

I'm so confused about what to do - Some say eat less, some eat more, some eat whatever but only working out helps some say the other way round
    I'll try to answer both of these questions at once. Where the fat comes off is genetic; has nothing to do with what exercise you do. It's as simple as this:

If calories in > calories out, weight increases. If calories out > calories in, weight decreases.

Weight loss is caused by your body burning fuel. So cardio will induce weight loss (presuming you're burning more than you're eating), but it will cause your body to use muscle as a source of its energy. Reducing your muscle means your body needs less fuel (as muscles are what the body fuels), which means less calories out, meaning weight gain is more likely and, since you're not doing anything to promote muscle gain, this weight will take the form of fat. It's quite logical, really.

Lifting weights, as we all know, promotes muscle gain. Many girls are afraid to gain muscle as they think they will get bulky. They will not. Girls do not have sufficient testosterone to get bulky without hormone supplements. Lifting weights promotes muscle gain and more muscle means your body requires more fuel, which means more calories out. This has the effect of both increasing the amount of fat you will lose and increasing the amount you need to eat to maintain this new muscle.

From this, it should be obvious that what you want to do is try to gain muscle and keep it, as muscle will give you the body you're after and will also steal those calories away from your body so they can't be turned into fat. The best way to do this is by doing compound exercises (particularly squats, deadlifts and presses) with heavy weights and ensuring that you eat enough to maintain this muscle (if you have a body like sophyy's, you will initially need to gain weight - she is slim and has good fat levels, so all she needs to do is get more muscle, which means getting heavier). The quality of the food you eat, in terms of healthiness, is important for your health, but for your size and shape, it's the calories and the exercise that matter.

Cardio has its place. In conjunction with weightlifting, cardio will help to promote fat loss through using up calories, as well as making your cardiovascular and respiratory systems stronger. To be healthy, it's a good idea. To be "hot", it's unnecessary. Cardio alone will induce the adverse effect I explained earlier.

(Original post by Hooj)
    Are they your legs?

Nothing wrong with them, they just need to be toned !!
    What exercises could I do to do that do you think? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariarrrrr.)
    So are mine!
    I have a flat tummy and then fat thighs and a massive bum! What the hell!
    Fool!!!! :lol:

You have no idea, you HAVE NO IDEA how many men find that totally hawt.

We need to talk

:woo:

:sexface:

(Original post by sophyy)
    hmm better pic;

proportional wise I think they are
    :yep: Yet another person to quote that post :rolleyes:

You really think so? I think you've got skinny legs, you have nothing to worry about =)

and OP, it depends... how fat/thick are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What exercises could I do to do that do you think? :confused:

Leg Exercises... !?

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    What about something like this:
    My legs look like yours.. it sucks as I have a 26" waist (which some would say is fairly toned etc) and there's like 13 inches between my waist and my hips, I'm a complete pear.

(Original post by umbrellahead)
    My legs look like yours.. it sucks as I have a 26" waist (which some would say is fairly toned etc) and there's like 13 inches between my waist and my hips, I'm a complete pear.
    Yeah I totally know what you mean! Except my hips aren't that wide so my thighs look even stupider and since I'm really short they just emphasise my short legs :emo:
    I'm not even a pear though because my upper body has got it's fair share of weight too and my ass is rubbish haha.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a curvy 8 and my bf tells me not to lose my curves.

ReputationRep:
    I think skinny things just look too unnatural..women are meant to curve a bit

ReputationRep:
    *thighs

ReputationRep:
    You can eat them hot or cold if you really want...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Fool!!!! :lol:

You have no idea, you HAVE NO IDEA how many men find that totally hawt.

We need to talk

:woo:

:sexface:
    Hahaa but its sooo hard to find clothes that look right! I dont even wear jeans because it makes me look worse!

ReputationRep:
    I have them - wouldn't really expect them to be my main appeal but hopefully they wouldn't put people off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophyy)
    My thighs are fat in comparison to my body
    If you even thought this, you for one would not be wearing sequin knickers especially without tights.

ReputationRep:
    If they're pretty firm and not absolutely massive, then yeah, can be good. Much prefer slimmer legs though.

ReputationRep:
    yes it is
    has to have a nice shape though.

ReputationRep:
    theres a difference between Fat and Thick,
    Shorty can be thick and that gets my bone up
    But if she just plain has a fat ass then you best believe i'm not spreading those cheeks to hit it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueLips)
    Those shoes!? They're rather strange..
    flippin hell who was looking at the shoes

ReputationRep:
    Is a bit of fat/thickness on a girl's thigh hot?
    thick is kinda attractive than seeing some skinny bones....but too fat isn't cool either.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.