Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I take care of headphones? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I bought a skull-candy headphones just before christmas holidays and now one of the headphones has got the wire cut inside or something, I can't hear from one side. I've had like ALOT of headphones like that before that. I thought skull candy will last long and still it only lasts for a month or two! So i thought maybe it's just the way I handle them. How do I keep them in my bag? I just usually wrap around my iphone and put it in my bag? Are there any special care to take care of these delicate wht-so-ever headphones??

Get a case.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Well, first of all, don't buy Skullcandy headphones. I don't know where you heard that they were long-lasting, but that's the complete opposite of true. Abysmal build quality on the lot of them.

Next thing is to stop wrapping them around your iPod. It damages the cable something rotten, especially if you wind it tightly. Worse, if you leave them plugged in it'll put strain on the plug as well, which can cause even worse damage, to both the headphones and the iPod. I've lost count of the number of people who've come crying to the tech forums with broken iPod jacks. Learn from their mistakes, unplug your headphones first and then loosely coil them separately to the player. That's the best way to take care of them, probably worth investing in a case/sock for your iPod too so you don't end up losing the headphones or getting the cable into a tangle.

ReputationRep:
    I do the same as you. And mine are always broke within a few weeks. Really should learn from my past mistakes tbh. Don't wrap them around your ipod and, um, I don't know. Somebody really needs to invent something.

ReputationRep:
    Get one of those sad little cases, works a charm :top:

Or you could get a nice big chunky robust pair if you don't care about being discreet :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I have exactly the same problem, however, I have found that taking the plug out of the phone/mp3 player helps, as the most commonly broken part of the wire is the bit by the plug.

ReputationRep:
    I have a little sock thing i knitted and i've had mine for 9 months. Before i used the sock thingy the ear peice broke much sooner from being knocked about my bag. Maybe you could reserve a pocket in your bag for them. Folding them or wrapping them loosly around your iphone would be a good idea as well because wrapping them tightly can strain the cord causing them to break sooner.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone!!! guess i will have to buy a new now and use it wisely. x)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Well, first of all, don't buy Skullcandy headphones. I don't know where you heard that they were long-lasting, but that's the complete opposite of true. Abysmal build quality on the lot of them.
    QFT...

ReputationRep:
    Here's what I do and my headphones seem to last forever. This iPod earphone is fully-function for 1 year now with no problems.

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Breast feed it milk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)

Next thing is to stop wrapping them around your iPod. It damages the cable something rotten, especially if you wind it tightly. Worse, if you leave them plugged in it'll put strain on the plug as well, which can cause even worse damage, to both the headphones and the iPod. I've lost count of the number of people who've come crying to the tech forums with broken iPod jacks. Learn from their mistakes, unplug your headphones first and then loosely coil them separately to the player. That's the best way to take care of them, probably worth investing in a case/sock for your iPod too so you don't end up losing the headphones or getting the cable into a tangle.
    All of this is correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neodymium)
    Here's what I do and my headphones seem to last forever. This iPod earphone is fully-function for 1 year now with no problems.

This is such great help! and thanks for the photos. LOL! You're so kind. :P

ReputationRep:
    I've got a pair of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-P.../dp/B000089GN4 they fold and come with a case. The sound is pretty good and I've had them for about 3 or 4 years now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.