The Student Room Group

Ye Gods, Arts Graduates Doing Medicine!?

Inspired by the comment by Gizmo! on the 'Nursing to Medicine Degree?' thread, I'm posing the question: has anyone considered doing an arts degree before going into medicine, or in fact completed one?

I'm a Philosophy and English graduate. I wanted to be a doctor when I was at school, but very much enjoyed arty subjects as well - hence a mixture of sciences and arts in my A Levels. I was by no means in the right place in my noodle, or for that matter motivated enough, to throw myself into medicine - that kind of thing came later. This means that I'm having to really work on learning the science for the aptitude tests that I haven't studied for eight years.

On the other hand, I'm convinced that the people I met and the things I did during my arts degree have made me a more all-rounded person and that won't be a bad thing in medicine.

So again: any arts grads? Would anyone consider doing arty subjects pre-med or as an intercalated BA? Does anyone think they're a complete waste of time for a medical student?

Scroll to see replies

ljos
Inspired by the comment of Gizmo! on the 'Nursing to Medicine Degree?' thread, I'm posing the question: has anyone considered doing an arts degree before going into medicine, or in fact completed one?

I'm a Philosophy and English graduate. I wanted to be a doctor when I was at school, but very much enjoyed arty subjects as well - hence a mixture of sciences and arts in my A Levels. I was by no means in the right place in my noodle, or for that matter motivated enough, to throw myself into medicine - that kind of thing came later. This means that I'm having to really work on learning the science for the aptitude tests that I haven't studied for eight years.

On the other hand, I'm convinced that the people I met and the things I did during my arts degree have made me a more all-rounded person and that won't be a bad thing in medicine.

So again: any arts grads? Would anyone consider doing arty subjects pre-med or as an intercalated BA? Does anyone think they're a complete waste of time for a medical student?

If you have the right A levels and you can genuinely prove, with work experience and good aptitude tests that you really want medicine and that you have the qualities, then why not. Loads of people with random qualifications come back and do medicine later in life.
Reply 2
hey good luck with this man

i am a second year ppe student and am going to be a gem 2012 applicant get work experience and a 2/1 or a 1st in your degree and get good results in your gamsat and ukcat tests
Reply 3
papajames
hey good luck with this man

i am a second year ppe student and am going to be a gem 2012 applicant get work experience and a 2/1 or a 1st in your degree and get good results in your gamsat and ukcat tests

Thanks, papajames - I've got all of that but the aptitude tests so far. What's leading you to Medicine after Politics, Philosophy and Economics?
ljos
Thanks, papajames. I've got a 2.1 and have worked in Nursing for years, so all that's left is the dreaded GAMSAT...

how long have you been a qualified nurse for?
Reply 5
ljos
Inspired by the comment of Gizmo! on the 'Nursing to Medicine Degree?' thread, I'm posing the question: has anyone considered doing an arts degree before going into medicine, or in fact completed one?

I would never be able, but its a nice idea.
Atually, better Idea, Psychiatrist, that would be cool.
Reply 6
Im not gonna lie, its not going to be an easy one to get in (if nothing besides not a huge number of unis offering GEM without a science degree), but if you can make it, good on you! Best of luck with it!

Im no expert but I have a nagging feeling if you dont do a sciencey course at uni you need to have the relevant A levels, again another thing to check as I don't know.
ljos

I know two post-grads at bristol, one did Theology at Oxford, the other did English Lit, I don't remember where.

(both studying medicine now, naturally)
Reply 8
Subcutaneous
how long have you been a qualified nurse for?

I'm not qualified. I started at band 2 in 2006, started the BSc in 2007. After I finished the first placement of the second year I was forced to take a year out due to bad health, and during that time decided to go for medicine. I quit the BSc and got a band 3 job instead as soon as I got the all clear. It suits me better because I've already got the BA for GEP entry and I'm on the wards full time for a wage, with time to work shadow my friendly docs.

Subcutaneous, does this mean you're looking to apply for medicine after you finish your nursing training?
DMV
I would never be able, but its a nice idea.
Atually, better Idea, Psychiatrist, that would be cool.

Really?

Studying Psychology at uni as you are has made me ultimately decide that Psychiatry is the one speciality I can confidently rule out if I'm accepted into GEM.
Reply 10
martin101
Im not gonna lie, its not going to be an easy one to get in (if nothing besides not a huge number of unis offering GEM without a science degree), but if you can make it, good on you! Best of luck with it!

Im no expert but I have a nagging feeling if you dont do a sciencey course at uni you need to have the relevant A levels, again another thing to check as I don't know.

I have got some science A Levels, and I did things like Pharmacology and Anatomy & Physiology at Nursing school, but generally I've found it's just a matter of getting good aptitude test marks. And thanks, martin101 :smile:
ljos
Inspired by the comment by Gizmo! on the 'Nursing to Medicine Degree?' thread, I'm posing the question: has anyone considered doing an arts degree before going into medicine, or in fact completed one?

martin101

About 50% of the GEM schools say you can have a degree in any subject:

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=11

So yeah, you could argue you're more limited than someone who's done a science degree, but you've still got 8 unis to choose from. And most of the ones that want 'any degree' don't ask for bio and chem A Levels.
ljos
I'm not qualified. I started at band 2 in 2006, started the BSc in 2007. After I finished the first placement of the second year I was forced to take a year out due to bad health, and during that time decided to go for medicine. I quit the BSc and got a band 3 job instead as soon as I got the all clear. It suits me better because I've already got the BA for GEP entry and I'm on the wards full time for a wage, with time to work shadow my friendly docs.

Subcutaneous, does this mean you're looking to apply for medicine after you finish your nursing training?

No i'm not, i'm looking into doing a part-time masters, with a dphil after.
Reply 13
GodspeedGehenna
Really?

Studying Psychology at uni as you are has made me ultimately decide that Psychiatry is the one speciality I can confidently rule out if I'm accepted into GEM.

It would have to be for me, or Neurology or something along those lines, its what got me thinking about doing Psychology in the first place.
martin101

nope a general rule is that if you have to take the GAMSAT for that med school then they do not look at your alevels.
GAMSAT shows that you have a good understanding of science at the right level.
Reply 15
ballerinabetty
nope a general rule is that if you have to take the GAMSAT for that med school then they do not look at your alevels.
GAMSAT shows that you have a good understanding of science at the right level.

So like A-leveish standard or slightly higher?
DMV
So like A-leveish standard or slightly higher?

Alevel i guess?
what i said above i read from a med school website. cant remember where though.
but basically you have to do the GAMSAT to apply, (to some school) and if you get over a cirtain mark (its a different mark at each uni each year) then they will asume you are capable of the science level suitable for medicine.

sorry dont know if that makes sense.
Reply 17
Subcutaneous
No i'm not, i'm looking into doing a part-time masters, with a dphil after.

Okey dokes. I'm curious as to why you post in a medicine forum if you want to be RN DPhil?
Reply 18
ljos

I'm just finishing my MA in Medical Humanities, and i'm starting final yaer this year. I love the arts. Have never really been a scientist but love medicine too.

It can be done :smile:
I'll do it the other way round. Thats most probably possible.