Turn on thread page Beta

Medicinal cannabis - Should it be legalised for MS sufferers? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am doing this for a Biology essay, I was just wondering if anyone had any pros or cons of legalising it?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it should. It should be legalised for anyone who needs it medicinally. My grandma is in awful pain from arthritus and it may well help her, but she won't touch it because it's illegal and therefore wrong. MS patients can in some very limited situations order something called 'Sativex' from Canada, otherwise they have to risk breaking the law to get their medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it should. Government shouldn't restrict medicines to keep up with outdated 'social morals'.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. It's by far the best pain killer you can have and still remain vaguley sane.

It should absolutely be available for medical use - the reason it isn't used for this purpose at the moment is down to money.

Pharmaceutical companies are a huge part of our economy, and of the American economy. However you cannot patent a plant, and so you can't make money from its use medically. So in other words massive corporations that sell chemical medicines for all kinds of illnesses that marijuana could do a better job of curing lobby to keep cannabis illegal and unused even for medical reasons, so they can keep making money.

I believe that there is real potential with marijuana to make the lives of thousands of people better by curing various illnesses, there is no reason to confine this discussion to just MS in fact because there are literally dozens of conditions that doctors think it can help with.

Luckily in America they are starting to see this, and in many states marijuana is now used medically. It's about time we did the same in the UK. I'd like to see a single argument against it, quite frankly.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.