Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    So last week one of our neighbours got robbed, all their jewellery, laptops, money etc left in the house was wiped out..
    next day i decided i need to insure my belonging incase i get robbed, so i took out a policy with endsleigh student insurance with a £1000 cover for laptops and electronics for £80 per year..

what happens the next day, i knock over a glass of wine over my lovely macbook it wont switch on now and i took it to a repair guy and he said its dead!!

im tempted to call endsleigh and put a claim in but im affraid itll seem dodgy cos iv only taken the claim out a couple of days ago :s
    and its genuinely a conicidence, before anyone starts accusing me!!!!!!!!

also, should i take my hard drive out of my laptop b4 sending it to endsleigh for inspection? cos i need my data on there!

cheers people xx

ReputationRep:
    i'd leave it a week. and leave your hardrive in unless they instruct you to take it out. if you really need the stuff off there just buy a caddy and copy all the important stuff onto someone elses laptop

ReputationRep:
    how long did you leave it before you turned it on?
    if the answer is not long, you have probably done even more damage.

and yes, take the hard drive out if you send it away

ReputationRep:
    You sure its dead?
    I split orange squash over my aspire one, and me being silly, I tried to turn it on too. It didn't work.
    So I took it apart, left the bits to try for 48 hours, put it back together, and it worked.

ReputationRep:
    argh sympathy...

my bike got nicked a few weeks into my insurance - i did leave it a while (the police were mad cos i left it ages to report :/) but then it was only £100

Because you dont have to have police reports or anything, then i would leave it a tiny bit.

If they say you are lying, just show them the laptop, you cant profit from a broken one, not much point in breaking it on purpose, hardly that suspicious... though i suppose you could have done it then got insurance to pay for it...

ReputationRep:
    Dear Reza777

I am sorry to hear of the recent accident concerning your laptop, if you wish to claim for the damage please contact our Student Possessions Team on 0870 241 6105 and we will talk you through the claims procedure. You will need to report the claim as soon as you possibly can.

We can arrange for the laptop to be collected from your address and the damage inspected accordingly.

Yours sincerely

Rob Slatter
    Senior Claims Handler
    Endsleigh Insurance Services Limited
    Tel: 0870 241 6105

ReputationRep:
    the same thing happened to me! but mine was roughly about a week in the insurance policy. I just submitted a report of the incident. It was purely accidental and at first I was worried that it might seem dodgy.. but I decided to submit it anyway because that was exactly what happened. its best to be honest and it'll pay off.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.