Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ni(CO)4
    What are the oxidation numbers on each element?

I don't know about C or Ni so I'm stuck

Also...

1) Peroxides have oxy. no. of -1. Why is H202 a peroxide and not NO2? Is it because peroxides must have a single c-c bond?

2) What is a superperoxide? My teacher says they have a -1/2 oxidation no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalange)
    Ni(CO)4
    What are the oxidation numbers on each element?

I don't know about C or Ni so I'm stuck

Also...

1) Peroxides have oxy. no. of -1. Why is H202 a peroxide and not NO2? Is it because peroxides must have a single c-c bond?

2) What is a superperoxide? My teacher says they have a -1/2 oxidation no.
    CO is carbon monoxide, itself has zero charge. You are probably missing the supposed 2+ for the compound Ni(CO)4, which is really Ni2+.
    - If that is not the case, then, usually oxygen is taken as -2, see if you can work something out from there.

1) a peroxide comes from the fact that it is the O-O bond. ie H-O-O-H
    this is the peroxide bond. NO2 is nitrogen dioxide, O=N=O, not a peroxide. peroxide doesn't have carbon, so no C-C bond.

superoxide is an anion of oxygen with the chemical formula O2-.
    2 is a superscript.

Hence, 2(oxygen charge) = -1 so each oxygen has -1/2 charge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    CO is carbon monoxide, itself has zero charge. You are probably missing the supposed 2+ for the compound Ni(CO)4, which is really Ni2+.
    - If that is not the case, then, usually oxygen is taken as -2, see if you can work something out from there.

1) a peroxide comes from the fact that it is the O-O bond. ie H-O-O-H
    this is the peroxide bond. NO2 is nitrogen dioxide, O=N=O, not a peroxide. peroxide doesn't have carbon, so no C-C bond.

superoxide is an anion of oxygen with the chemical formula O2-.
    2 is a superscript.

Hence, 2(oxygen charge) = -1 so each oxygen has -1/2 charge
    Thank you for that
    Um no it doesn't say the Ni compound has any charge at all. Maybe a typo. I'll ask my teacher tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalange)
    Thank you for that
    Um no it doesn't say the Ni compound has any charge at all. Maybe a typo. I'll ask my teacher tomorrow.
    Ni has 8 electrons in its d orbitals, couples with those 8, 2 from each CO as ligand donor, That would be 16 electrons, short of the "holy grail" 18 electron rule for stable TM complex.

Anyway, just check with your teacher. I could be wrong about this.

Ni has 8 electrons in its d orbitals, couples with those 8, 2 from each CO as ligand donor, That would be 16 electrons, short of the "holy grail" 18 electron rule for stable TM complex.

Anyway, just check with your teacher. I could be wrong about this.
    Don't forget that in complex, transition metal electrons invariably sit in the valence d-orbitals in preference to the s-orbitals, so Ni0 is d10. Adding the 8 carbonyl electrons gives you the desired 18.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Kav-)
    Don't forget that in complex, transition metal electrons invariably sit in the valence d-orbitals in preference to the s-orbitals, so Ni0 is d10. Adding the 8 carbonyl electrons gives you the desired 18.
    ah, it is the desired "holy grail" after all, that is what our tutor likes to call it!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    As you quite correctly state the carbonyl ligand is neutral so that the oxidation state of Ni in Ni(CO)4 is zero.

This is one of the (few) cases where a TM takes a zero oxidation state.

On another note, this compound is important in the Mond process for purification of nickel.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 24, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.