Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I once did a whole maths paper in pencil, and then realised my mistake with about 1 minute to go! It still got marked though, so don't worry you'll be fine. Besides, I think you're meant to draw diagrams using pencil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky21)
    It's black pens only now. Not sure about pencils though.
    Well its probably black pens only now because they scan them, as I just found out. Pencil just reflects most of the scanner light back, so I don't think its allowed. :<

ReputationRep:
    You're allowed to use pencil. /thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Going_To_California)
    I once did a whole maths paper in pencil, and then realised my mistake with about 1 minute to go! It still got marked though, so don't worry you'll be fine. Besides, I think you're meant to draw diagrams using pencil.
    I hope so, anyway I released that you're doing critical thinking. I was wondering, is it easy and whether it is an AS or an AL subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hussam1992)
    In my maths C1 and C3 exams there were graphs to draw, and I used a pencil to draw them. I had completely forgotten that I should only use a blue or black pen. What will happen, will I lose marks, or will I not gain any for those graphs?
    If you did the same C3 exam as i just did, you were aloud to use a pencil for the Graphs, I remember asking specifically, even though it said on the front of the paper that you were, Im on OCR (MEI). What are you on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scabo0o)
    If you did the same C3 exam as i just did, you were aloud to use a pencil for the Graphs, I remember asking specifically, even though it said on the front of the paper that you were, Im on OCR (MEI). What are you on?
    Edexcel

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone actually read the front page? It CLEARLY states that you can use pencil to draw graphs.

ReputationRep:
    I hope so, anyway I released that you're doing critical thinking. I was wondering, is it easy and whether it is an AS or an AL subject.
    I'm doing the AS level at the moment, but it could be an actual A Level next year.
    It's pretty boring really, I've only done one unit so far and it was basically about reasons and conclusions and credibility. It wasn't difficult, but you have to be precise in your answers.

ReputationRep:
    don't worry, i did last year and still got decent marks, so it couldn't of mattered that much...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz08)
    I've always used a pencil for drawing mechanisms/graphs etc on my bio and chem papers never had any issues. I'm pretty sure we are allowed to use them
    dont think you are allowed to use pencil for chem edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    Haha don't worry about it, my friend wrote half her paper in pencil and they said it doesn't really matter, it's just easier to read in black, as the paper gets scanned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    It's just black pen now anyway but I don't know either, they scan the papers so it could affect yours yeah.
    hey, i did mine with blue ink. are we allowed?

ReputationRep:
    you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachesishere)
    Haha don't worry about it, my friend wrote half her paper in pencil and they said it doesn't really matter, it's just easier to read in black, as the paper gets scanned.
    If i feel my paper was marked badly or they didn't mark my graphs, I'm getting a remark!! :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AQA for chem and OCR for bio...no idea about edexcel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EM(Lin))
    Easily done- I always have to make a conscious effort to go over my graphs in pen Try not to beat yourself up about it too much... here's hoping it shows up on the scanner :console:
    ive seen some emoticons in my time but that has blown me away

ReputationRep:
    If i feel my paper was marked badly or they didn't mark my graphs, I'm getting a remark!! :P
    But you needn't worry about doing that

You shall be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Im sorry but you are going to die for this.:sadnod: The police will be coming round to execute you.

ReputationRep:
    In my maths C1 and C3 exams there were graphs to draw, and I used a pencil to draw them. I had completely forgotten that I should only use a blue or black pen. What will happen, will I lose marks, or will I not gain any for those graphs?
    If it was a reasonably dark pencil, it will have scanned with no problem (and better than the blue ink used in cartridge pens).

If work is too pale to be read from the scanned in version, the examiner is supposed to send it to review, i.e. someone will try harder to read it.

Try photocopying your pencil diagrams just to make you feel better. If you can read the photocopy, the exam will have been fine.

ReputationRep:
    It'll probably be fine. As far as I know you are actually allowed to use pencil for graphs even if it specifies black pen although I always tend to draw them in pencil then go over in black pen just to be safe. Also if on the scan they can see there's something there which they can't properly see they'll request the orginal paper like if you write outside the boxes on scanned papers. It'll infuriate your examiner a bit if the paper has to be requested but it shouldn't be a problem unless you wrote it super faintly. Don't worry about it .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.