Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I used a PENCIL in an exam!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    You can use a pencil for drawing graphs.
    Chill out and stop thinking about the exam you've already done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    Im sorry but you are going to die for this.:sadnod: The police will be coming round to execute you.
    Wow, you really earned your award in your sig. Hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    you are suppose to draw em' with pencil's. I did mine with pencil so If you lose marks you won't be the only one:sexface:

ReputationRep:
    I truly love you guys. :grouphugs:
    :beer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obviouslystudying)
    hey, i did mine with blue ink. are we allowed?
    You should have been told at the start of the exam - every exam i've been in for the last few years has made it clear that only black ink can be used now, not sure if that changes from exam board to exam board though.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry! If the examiner can't see your graph from the scan, then they have to request your original paper to see it and mark it. Besides they use sensitive scanners, it's not that blue pen and pencil won't show up, it's that they want the scans to be as clear as they possibly can so that they don't waste money posting papers up and down the country because examiners can't read them.

Also page 41 of the instructions for conducing the exams which shows what the invigilator will have read out
    http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/pu...CE%2009-10.pdf

says "You must write only in black ink, except for drawings and rough notes."

Twill be grand

ReputationRep:
    I do AQA Maths A level, if we don't draw it in pencil we lose marks.

ReputationRep:
    everyone in my school used pencil. I'm going to guess it's allowed (as everyone else has more or less said)

ReputationRep:
    I don't know the above people are giving false hope.
    Using a pencil is an automatic disqualification because the lead messes up with the photocopiers rays..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    Using a pencil is an automatic disqualification because the lead messes up with the photocopiers rays..
    Who is going to tell this to a teacher I know who writes all of his notes out in pencil and then photocopies them to give to his students?

Are you going to tell him or shall I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    Who is going to tell this to a teacher I know who writes all of his notes out in pencil and then photocopies them to give to his students?

Are you going to tell him or shall I?
    Exam boards use hydroclygmicondrial rays for photocopying the scripts. Typical photocopiers in your school wouldn't use those rays and the ones they do use are not affected by lead

ReputationRep:
    I hope not because I used pencil for 1 diagram which was worth 2 marks, and I
    don't want to get disqualified for that.
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Exam boards use hydroclygmicondrial rays for photocopying the scripts. Typical photocopiers in your school wouldn't use those rays and the ones they do use are not affected by lead
    He's right; my dad's company has those photocopiers and some guy got fired for writing a memo in pencil and nearly giving the photocopier guy cancer. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Some quotes from the June 2009 Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics Examiners' Report:

For C4:
    "The general standard of presentation was acceptable. These papers are marked online and, if a pencil is used in drawing sketches of graphs, a sufficiently soft pencil (HB) should be used and it should be noted that coloured inks do not come up well and may be invisible."

For D1:
    "Candidates are reminded that they should not use methods of presentation that depend on colour, but are advised to complete diagrams in (dark) pencil. This remains a particular problem in the questions on matchings (Q3 on this paper)"

Is that enough evidence or shall I read a few more Examiners' Reports (they get a bit same-ish after a while)?

ReputationRep:
    I dont think there are any issues...
    I used pencil for EVERY MATHS EXAM IVE EVER DONE, coz i feel more comfortable that way...
    im doing my A2s now and for AS year i did quite well with all my maths exams so im prety sure pencil doesnt affect it at all...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HassanBHS)
    I used pencil for EVERY MATHS EXAM IVE EVER DONE, coz i feel more comfortable that way...
    im doing my A2s now and for AS year i did quite well with all my maths exams so im prety sure pencil doesnt affect it at all...!
    Well said!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HassanBHS)
    Thats reassuring but I did it for a edexcel chemistry exam. So, I hope the same applies.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.