Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The legal drinking age in the UK should be lowered watch

ReputationRep:
    Cant say I agree.

(Original post by DMV)
    I agree, if we had a more mainland european attitude to Alcohol then we might fare better.

I would be careful with generalizations like that.

*Points to eastern europe*

ReputationRep:
    No, just no.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of waiting to drink until your 18, the only thing the legal limit does is stops you getting served at pubs/bars and clubs.

95% of people in the UK drink and get pished before 18. Just not at establishments.

ReputationRep:
    18 is fine.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I didn't drink before I turned 18 and rarely drink now... Not everyone is the same :dontknow: I don't agree it should be lowered, though; there are enough problems as it is.

ReputationRep:
    I would support being able to buy booze under 4.5%ish or so from 16.

ReputationRep:
    Even though I am seventeen, and can't legally drink yet, I don't think the age should be lowered. Yes, I have gone out - yes I've sneaked into pubs/clubs. Yes I've gotten friends to buy me drink. Yes I've gone to parties. Sometimes I've gotten drunk. Sometimes tipsy. Other times, I've just gone "nah, don't feel like one thanks," when offered drink. It's not about how old you are - it's your perception of drink, your values and attitudes. Sometimes you are in the mood for a few. Sometimes you're not. Whatever you do, there will always be people who will drink just to get drunk - whether 16, 18, 23, or 42. Everyone who is being so high and mighty about binge drinkers has likely been through a stage in their life (generally in teens, before 18) where they thought drinknig was "cool" and drunk lots. It's part of growing up. As said before, the novelty will soon wear off. I personally look forward to my 18th, yes to going out, not to get "hammered", but to have a laugh with my mates and not worry that someone will be left out because they're too young.

ReputationRep:
    You were 16 and drinking, while you were not allowed to drink until you were 18. So if it's lowered to 16 does that mean more 14 year olds would be drinking?

All in all I think lowering it is a step in the right direction. I agree that a lot of future students would be tame compared to the drinking trends with the current lot. However with every bit of leeway we are given, there are always the numpties that take it to far.

When I was 16 I was still very immature and looked like i was 10. If i went to the pub tomorrow i would not want a bunch of pubescent 16 year old me's playing 'tig' around my ankles :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    I would support being able to buy booze under 4.5%ish or so from 16.
    Most beers are at least 4.5%. Does it make a difference if its a half bottle of vodka or 15 beers? a 16 year old is still gonna get smashed.

ReputationRep:
    Would it really make a difference? Most 16 year olds drink and get away with it anyway. It is perfectly normal for a 16 year old to drink nowadays and go to house parties and get drunk. Personally, I don't drink because the fact is teens are really only drinking because it is a sign of social status. Teens want to be more and more like adults nowadays and so this is why we have drug and alcohol problems with 16 year olds. It seems the teens of today have forgotten how to be children because all they want is to be caught up in the adult world. I mean there are a group of 15/16 year old girls at my school who actually tried to get into a nightclub the other night. They got all dressed up on student night only to be humiliatingly turned away by the bouncers. This is the mentality of a lot of the young people. They think they're being more adult, but in reality their desperate attempt to be 'adult-like' only makes them look more childish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drunk)
    no! everyone drinks to get drunk. unless your french. in which case die u foreign ****
    The thread's 7 years old, numbnuts.

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol is destructive to society, it should have been banned long ago. Same for smoking

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.