Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have recently learnt that even though a party has more votes it doesn't necessarily win in elections. It just needs more MP seats. The lib dem's claim this is unfair as they manage to gain a massive amount of votes but not as many seats as they usually come a close second. Do you think that this is unfair and it means that everybody's individual votes doesn't mean anything. Should we have reforms to change this?

ReputationRep:
    Electoral reform has never really been a major issue, though this may change change should the June election produce a hung parliament.

My own opinion is that the electoral system should change, and be more representative. Even if it means more coalition governments, then I don't see the issue. Single-party governments can be just as split as coalition governments, look at the Major government from 1992-1997.

ReputationRep:
    I think a more proportional system would be good, something like the Scottish parliament or Germany has. Coalition governments wouldn't be a bad thing, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want coalition governments, but I don't want a domineering majority, so I'd like AMS with an 80% First Past The Post/Alternative Vote system and a 20% list system.

It rewards parties who get votes but cannot concentrate their support with some seats, but allows the usual parties to rule as a single one party government if the population desires.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.