Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im new to this but i was wondering what everyone thought. I recently came to realised/ accepted that i was gay and told my family and feel alot better about it. I have not come out at uni yet but considering studying abroad next year to explore sexuality and just idea of being open and gay as i dont feel comfortable doing so at uni cause i started uni life in the closet and im not completely sure still ! Is this a good reason to study abroad? its not the only reason im thinking of doing it i also wouldnt mind trying out a new culture etc. and studying abroad p.s it will be in copenhagen

thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its necessarily running away, I think it gives you a sounding board on what its going to be like. Its a fresh start -- can be who you want to be for that year and that will inform some decision you make once you get home, of course your not going to go shouting around I'm here I'm queer, because that would just be awful. But the experience of going abroad for a year will give you more confidence in yourself, and you'l hopefully find out more about yourself and where you fit in, in life.

ReputationRep:
    cheers for your feedback guys

ReputationRep:
    whats gonna change now that you're openly gay? i know a couple of gay dudes and they are both open about it but are masculine as **** and i know straight dudes that are camp as ****.

So unless you're one of those "ohh i came out now i must speak like a **** and walk around in chap less pants gays" ~Coming out at uni shouldn't change anything, unless you inadvertedly became friends with homophobes.

ReputationRep:
    lots, the types of people you meet, your confidence, your identity as a person, simply the ability to be open and honest

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought the family bit would be harder. People at uni tend to be more progressive about things like this.

ReputationRep:
    I think Denmark is a pretty open place when it comes to accepting homosexuality
    Besides, if you don't make a huge deal about being gay, there's no reason for it to be an issue.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.