Turn on thread page Beta

Why do dumb people call intelligent people names? watch

ReputationRep:
    I hope that I am not the only one but I am extremely clever and am in Year 9. Im getting level 8a in maths, 7 in english, and 7 in science. I want to be a doctor and im doing 2 of my gcse's early. My RS mock is on wednesday. aaah.

Anywayz, am i the only one who gets called names at skool by less able, dumb students??? eg. boff, saddo, wierd .ect. ect.

Any comments on this topic welcome

ReputationRep:
    If you were really intelligent you would realise that of course it happens to other people. =P

Don't worry too much about it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes people are like that. Ignore them, and make sure you don't change for them. They will have children at 18 (or even younger) whilst you are training to be a doctor. You will be laughing longest.

ReputationRep:
    But in 10 years time, just think of the superior life you will have compared to theirs

Don't let it bother you, they are all clearly idiots (Y)

ReputationRep:
    Intelligent people call less intelligent people names too you know...
    Don't go thinking your special just cause you've got some brains

ReputationRep:
    maybe you are wierd?

ReputationRep:
    Because they're too dumb to realize that being smart is a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    It's in their nature as dumb people to insult anybody different to them. Don't worry, and don't change!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe because you call them dumb. Swings and roundabouts.

ReputationRep:
    probably because you're really stuck up, as you have just proven by bragging about your subjects or whatever.

jealousy also comes to mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paki4lyf786)
    I hope that I am not the only one but I am extremely clever and am in Year 9. Im getting level 8a in maths, 7 in english, and 7 in science. I want to be a doctor and im doing 2 of my gcse's early. My RS mock is on wednesday. aaah.

Anywayz, am i the only one who gets called names at skool by less able, dumb students??? eg. boff, saddo, wierd .ect. ect.

You're not the only one by any means, in fact I'd go as far as to say that your experience is probably the norm for students who achieve consistently above average results, especially at your age (that's meant in the least patronising way possible, I promise!). I think it might be different in 'higher ranking' schools, but for too many comprehensive state schools there's this attitude that it's not cool to achieve.

Don't worry, it gets better as you get older and people realise they're being immature. I think a lot of it's to do with jealousy and feeling intimidated.

EDIT: And probably something to do with acting superior, seeing as you would seem to believe you are.

ReputationRep:
    i was bullied for the duration of primary school and the first few years of secondary school because i was 'the geek' and everybody used to say that i would be the one laughing in the end. i never believed them at the time but now i realise it is true, the ones who bullied me at primary school are now in gangs or prison and doing drugs and have no qualifications. i have an amazing life ahead of me thanks to my hard work and never giving up, i am the one laughing

ReputationRep:
    They're jealous. The only reason dumb people mock intelligent people is due to jealousy.

ReputationRep:

definitely indian or asian

ReputationRep:
    Partly because you're in Year 9, a lot of 14 year olds don't take their education seriously, especially the less-able, and while some may truly think you are strange (after all, doing GCSEs early creates work for yourself that you could avoid) a lot will be jealous. This gets a lot better once you hit sixth form where most people care about doing well. Just remember you will probably have a better life than any of them, this happens to a lot of people and while it seems horrible now you'll wonder why you were even bothered in a couple of years

ReputationRep:
    They hate if your clever and despise a fool. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    its not because you are intelligent.
    its because you spend every waking hour learning gcses a year earlier than you need to, and because you allow them to say it.

its probably also something to do with the attitude - "i am extremely clever" e.g. people dislike people who walk around with an air of superiority.

im not condoning the behaviour by the way, just trying to show the reasons more realistically than most people on here. noone is jealous - in year 9, noone could give a **** less

ReputationRep:
    don't worry about it. I got it when I was your age, but eventually everyone grows up, the people who couldn't be bothered with school and call you names get jobs while you go to college/sixth form, and you'll be with people who think its cool to be clever, because it gets you into uni.
    Okay, it might not completely end, but it gets a lot better. I still get called blonde, but i guess it is quite funny that someone who is going to cambridge mananges to constantly lock their keys in their car and walk into doors :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by quads1992)
    definitely indian or asian
    Because they are different things?

ReputationRep:

Probably doesn't help that you obviously sincerely consider them dumb whilst considering yourself smart. They are not so dumb that they wouldn't pick up on that. You will find that the problem lies more with your attitude than you think. I am a medic applicant in the UK, I have great grades and extracurricular and have applied for ivy league aswell bla blaBLAAA but I do my best not to make a big deal out of it, and I don't make a big deal out of not making a big deal out of it either. I talk about it with close freinds and that's it. When some people thought I considered myself better, I did get called a swat, but I just decided to get to know these people who insulted me without knowing me a little better, now one of them is actually my best friend, and he turned out to not only not be dumb, but be brighter than I am, just lazy!
    Of course a lot of it is jealousy, some of them are clever students who could achieve the same as you could but can't be bothered, and sometimes kick themselves for not trying harder, and last but not least some of them simply are nincompoops whom you should be able to ignore without difficulty. But I would say most of it lies in your own hands! Prob not what you want to hear, but trust me, there is more truth to it than you will want to admit to yourself.But good luck with your GCSEs and everything anyway:yep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.