Turn on thread page Beta

Why do dumb people call intelligent people names? watch

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's because you are just arrogant?

And why the hell write "skool", or "anywayz". At least sound smart...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isabobble)
    You're not the only one by any means, in fact I'd go as far as to say that your experience is probably the norm for students who achieve consistently above average results, especially at your age (that's meant in the least patronising way possible, I promise!). I think it might be different in 'higher ranking' schools, but for too many comprehensive state schools there's this attitude that it's not cool to achieve.

Don't worry, it gets better as you get older and people realise they're being immature. I think a lot of it's to do with jealousy and feeling intimidated.

EDIT: And probably something to do with acting superior, seeing as you would seem to believe you are.

Not really.
    I, and several of my friends, achieve highly, are predicted very good grades, are applying to good universities etc. People dont laugh at us, or call us names, beucase we aren't wierd, or freaks, or nerds.
    We're just intelligent.
    Being clever doesnt mean you have to act superior to other people, or brag about it, or just be annoying.
    Being more intelligent than your friends doesnt seperate you unless you cause it to happen =s either by making them feel dumb, or acting like a knob.

ReputationRep:
    At lower school people call people others swats and stuff but in sixth form they just get jealous because they want to go to a good uni and wish they had worked half as hard as you had.

Either way. It doesn't matter, ignore it or just tell them to F..uck off!

ReputationRep:
    everyone is saying jealousy, which may be part of it, but there is also every possibility that the OP is extremely arrogant/braggy about their intelligence (im not saying you are), and acts superior around them, in which case you can see why they would dislike them

@OP, try and find people with similar interests/something in common with your classmates. Join a club or sports team?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woopwoop:))
    But in 10 years time, just think of the superior life you will have compared to theirs

Don't let it bother you, they are all clearly idiots (Y)
    A superior life that has to be the most stupid comment I have ever heard.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone gets called names in school. Some more harshly than others but you just have to let go of it. People tend to grow out of it come 6th form/college time.

ReputationRep:
    Success is the best form of revenge

ReputationRep:
    Have you noticed that in your title, you used a derogative name for the less intelligent, 'dumb'. It swings both ways, try to realise that. Maybe you come across as quite pompous? I think this miiiiiight be the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    its not because you are intelligent.
    its because you spend every waking hour learning gcses a year earlier than you need to, and because you allow them to say it.

its probably also something to do with the attitude - "i am extremely clever" e.g. people dislike people who walk around with an air of superiority.

im not condoning the behaviour by the way, just trying to show the reasons more realistically than most people on here. noone is jealous - in year 9, noone could give a **** less
    exactly this. :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Watch Out For Sharks)
    Not really.
    I, and several of my friends, achieve highly, are predicted very good grades, are applying to good universities etc. People dont laugh at us, or call us names, beucase we aren't wierd, or freaks, or nerds.
    We're just intelligent.
    Being clever doesnt mean you have to act superior to other people, or brag about it, or just be annoying.
    Being more intelligent than your friends doesnt seperate you unless you cause it to happen =s either by making them feel dumb, or acting like a knob.
    You shouldn't really acknowledge yourself as being more intelligent than they are though, they will be better than you at other forms of intelligence. Academic Intelligence is not that important in the big wild world. Common sense along with financial intelligence is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quads1992)
    definitely indian or asian
    Pakistani dude
    check out his display name paki4lyf786

not that that is in any way relevant

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's jealousy. Usually they are too ignorant to really think about what they're saying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maturity)
    You shouldn't really acknowledge yourself as being more intelligent than they are though, they will be better than you at other forms of intelligence. Academic Intelligence is not that important in the big wild world. Common sense along with financial intelligence is.
    Pretty sure a degree is going to get me much further in life than 4 GCSE's and some common sense thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I used to get called a boff a lot until people realised that it was a compliment and that it is good to be a boff so it doesn't really work as an insult :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why we do it you ******* **** **** ****

ReputationRep:
    They've been drinking that haterade. Dont take any notice of them, they're probz just jealous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paki4lyf786)
    I hope that I am not the only one but I am extremely clever and am in Year 9. Im getting level 8a in maths, 7 in english, and 7 in science. I want to be a doctor and im doing 2 of my gcse's early. My RS mock is on wednesday. aaah.

Anywayz, am i the only one who gets called names at skool by less able, dumb students??? eg. boff, saddo, wierd .ect. ect.

Any comments on this topic welcome
    You know, I don't think it's actually that special to be getting 7s and 8s in Year 9. And many people want to be a doctor. And do GCSEs early. (and most of those can spell properly).

While there may be whiffs of jealousy in their name-calling, your attitude suggests a touch of arrogance on your part. Hang around TSR a bit longer and you'll soon realise there are many people far cleverer than you who are actually doctors etc. Then perhaps you won't refer to the people calling you names as 'dumb'.

So to answer your question, why do dumb people call intelligent people names? In your case, because you refer to yourself as 'extremely clever'.

Good grief, I hope you're a troll.

ReputationRep:
    lol boff what a word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Watch Out For Sharks)
    Pretty sure a degree is going to get me much further in life than 4 GCSE's and some common sense thanks.
    Actually I doubt that. No problem.

ReputationRep:
    Chavs thrive on feeling powerful, and they think they can do this by taunting others. The thing is, they have nothing better to aim for than the hardnut reputation, as being smart is socially unacceptable.
    Most of the chavs are extremely insecure and want to be accepted by societies *********. For example, get a chav when he is alone and there is none of his butt ******* friends to kiss his ass. I garentee you that he will poo bricks.:cool:

(Original post by Maturity)
    Actually I doubt that. No problem.
    Roflcopter, drinking booze and watching WWE on freeview isn't going to get you very far in life. There are too many average joes in the world, and a reputable degree is a way to make you stand out from the crowd.

Unless you pretty happy with a £2 an hour signer.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.