Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    being incredibally (bad spelling) tired makes your immune system more suseptible to diseases, so only do it for your last couple of exams!

ReputationRep:
    Not before the exam , I will need to in June though 8 exams .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumorousGent.)
    it's a brilliant idea with not a single drawback
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by microfatcat)
    Mine's at 9am. Do you think I should forget the idea?
    What exam is it? Well if you've not done it before and aren't sure you could try this. What time do you have to be up normally to get ready?

I usually wake up at 7:45...I woke up at 6 for a bio exam and revised until like 8:45 so maybe try that if unsure? And revise now until 12. And get off TSR which I should do too.

ReputationRep:
    My friend managed to do a years worth of coursework within three days using this method.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly it all depends on what your normal sleep patterns are like, if you're like me and get by on 2-3 hours a night normally and pull all-nighters every few weeks, sometimes for two or three nights on the run, then one more won't affect you too badly. On the other hand if you have a normal sleep pattern, or like to sleep more than 5 hours a night, then I wouldn't suggest it the night before an exam.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but it's depressing as you know that everyone else around you is asleep. And as I have a laptop I sit in my bed, I get ever sooo annoyed with myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c0nfus3d)
    Before an exam- no. I've pulled a half-nighter off like a good week before the exam. I advise against it. Sleep is essential for concentration.
    In my experience, all nighters work great, the night before an exam as well. Just don't do them in consecutive days, that wouldn't be good for you. I pulled quite a few all nighters before my psychology a level exam, it definitely paid off :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Or know anyone that has? And did it work?

Desperate times calls for desperate measures. Need to know your thoughts and anecdotal evidence:o:
    Aparently it kills brain cells but i've done it loads of times when i've left coursework too late. After 4 am your productivity slackens and you'll go on tsr or look up ferrets (seriously you'll have no self-control after 3 am). It's then i'd recommend going to bed if only because nothing useful is done between 4 and 7 am.
    But if you need to go on take some red bull or coffee at around that time. Keep the room well-lit and ventilated. Have some sort of quiet music in the background so you won't go to sleep. Take snack breaks and every so often get up and do some star jumps.
    Don't mess around for hours at the beginning of the night think 'i've got hours' because that won't work as you'll work much more slowly once you're tired. Get as much done as early as possible and aim to finish and go to bed.
    Good luck and don't make a habit out of it!

(Original post by oodalallyoodalally)
    Aparently it kills brain cells but i've done it loads of times when i've left coursework too late. After 4 am your productivity slackens and you'll go on tsr or look up ferrets (seriously you'll have no self-control after 3 am). It's then i'd recommend going to bed if only because nothing useful is done between 4 and 7 am.
    But if you need to go on take some red bull or coffee at around that time. Keep the room well-lit and ventilated. Have some sort of quiet music in the background so you won't go to sleep. Take snack breaks and every so often get up and do some star jumps.
    Don't mess around for hours at the beginning of the night think 'i've got hours' because that won't work as you'll work much more slowly once you're tired. Get as much done as early as possible and aim to finish and go to bed.
    Good luck and don't make a habit out of it!
    I've taken out my lenses and I'm about to switch off the internet, so I won't be procrastinating any more! I'd never drink Red Bull, tastes like wee imo, but copious amounts of tea and apples ftw. Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by facetious)
    In my experience, all nighters work great, the night before an exam as well. Just don't do them in consecutive days, that wouldn't be good for you. I pulled quite a few all nighters before my psychology a level exam, it definitely paid off :yep:
    Humans are peculiar

ReputationRep:
    I'd never drink Red Bull, tastes like wee imo,
    Hmm, come to think of it, it does...
    Oh and drink lots of water. It keeps you refreshed and should keep you awake.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    DON'T DO IT
    It will be the worst thing you've ever done hah.

ReputationRep:
    3pm-5am count? :P

ReputationRep:
    Who hasn't?

ReputationRep:
    seriously dont do an all nighter. Go to sleep early and wake up early. Get a few hours revision in the morning (if exam is at 9) thats what i did i felt fine and think the morning revision helped. Guess i wont know till march 11th

ReputationRep:
    Of course I have. Twice in one week too. About half way through the day it feels like the end of the day. Seriously messed up my body clock, but totally worth it to get those As.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c0nfus3d)
    Before an exam- no. I've pulled a half-nighter off like a good week before the exam. I advise against it. Sleep is essential for concentration.
    Ditto. I've never pulled an all-nighter because of this reason :gah:

ReputationRep:
    Don't try and do an exam on less than 6 hours sleep (ideally no less than 7)

I would stay up into the small hours for an afternoon exam but ideally, i'd rather study in the day and keep my body clock healthy and me relaxed

coursework, now that's different but exams, you need to feel well on the day so tiredness could be a big problem there

ReputationRep:
    Ayee they don't affect me untill the next evening, and then I go to bed at like 9 instead of 11/12. So I do them quite a lot if I hve deadlines and tests and things may do one tonight infact but I don't know whether I would risk it the night before a proper official exam :/ if you haven't done one before you may just wreck yourself.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.