The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Fear Nothing
I would crawl up and die in a sea of my own red bull vomit.

Haha. That sounds about right. I remember during the worst periods of coursework I was taking pro plus tablets and washing them down with full cans of relentless.
SlEEp!!!
Reply 62
yes. not due to work but because I have a good book/ party etc. It is becoming a worryingly normal occurence.
Really don't do it. I've done it before a mock exam and after a few hours I couldn't concentrate on the revision anyway then did badly in the test. Can't you get up at six and do a few hours before you go?
Reply 64
always have a sleep before an exam, minimum 2 hours just to keep you fresh for the next 3-5hrs ish then you can get some more sleep.

Try studying everything before you sleep, then reinforcing them after you have slept. You will find that you'll remember things more and much clearly
Reply 65
Many, many times. Standard really.
All the time, I know few people who haven't.

Usually I'll take naps in the evening when I can, but it's a bad habit.
Reply 67
Seriously don't do it the night before an exam...I did it to finish an essay off, went to bed at 6.10am and got up at 8am to go and give it in...I felt awful all day, and that was without having to sit an exam :p:
I've pulled all nighters before my most dreaded exams. Going to tonight before my FP4 exam!!
I wouldn't recommend it but its worked for me in the past :smile:
Reply 69
blahhh
Seriously don't do it the night before an exam...I did it to finish an essay off, went to bed at 6.10am and got up at 8am to go and give it in...I felt awful all day, and that was without having to sit an exam :p:

I did it last week before an exam and it was soo helpful.
I recommend you use either energy drinks (such as red bull, relentless, kick etc) or pro-plus as an aid. :biggrin:
I did once actually, or at least thats what he said his name was....
For work, never before an exam. I hate them, and can never concentrate properly the next day. Some people function without sleep better than others, and an exam isn't really the best place to find out.
Reply 72
microfatcat
Or know anyone that has? And did it work?

Desperate times calls for desperate measures. Need to know your thoughts and anecdotal evidence:o:

ha, I did. I felt fine for when I went for the bus to school and then it hit me about 10 minutes on the bus and I fell a sleep but woke up in time to get off the bus at the correct stop.
Reply 73
In The Process Of One!

Exam On Friday And Tuesday!
Reply 74
I wouldn't do it before an exam but did it before christmas to finish an essay off-don't think I really needed tbh just stayed up because the rest of the flat was (we're all on the same course). Went to bed at about 6 and got up about 8, went shopping around Harrods and to Hyde Park Winter Wonderland and then collapsed in a heap in the lounge with top gear in the background. Fun ;P
Reply 75
All nighters should be written into specification points of DT syllabuses because I always take 1 every month for DT

Last year I did an all nighter for my DT Product Design exam - got 87 for the coursework and 73 for the exam - just 3 ums of an A!
I've pulled all-nighters before every single one of my Uni exams. I did three in a row last week, it's perfectly doable as long as you are well-nourished and you can keep your brain busy.
I pulled all-nighters to get some reports done. I'd had a can of relentless in the afternoon which with my body weight, kept me wide awake till 6am. Feels terrible but I do enjoy the naps the next day. Just don't get into a routine of doing them or you'll mess up your sleep pattern.
I wouldn't do them for an exam, if you have minimal time. Pick the topics you know, make colourful mind maps for each then try to write from memory what you did on paper a couple of times, reverting back when you know you have it wrong. Get some sleep and try the memory game again before the exam. Worked for me!
Reply 78
I would personally say if your doing one don't have a nap at 6am and wake up again at like 7 or 8. You will feel like crap. If you plough through it and do not take a nap you will still feel ok maybe with the aid of some caffeine. Its best to deny your body entirely of it rather than give it an hour or so for me. But really depends on how your body functions I guess
Reply 79
I take all nighters well, but if you haven't ever done an all nighter before I wouldn't recommend trying it before an exam.

I do it before some exams - but only if they're morning ones! After an all nighter I can function perfectly normally until about 2-3pm, when I suddenly feel drowsy. When I've had a full school day after an all nighter I take some Ribena mixed with Kick in a bottle and swig it in class (the teachers don't seem to mind). After a few all nighters I can now go through an entire day until about 10pm.

In fact, I did it before my Physics AS exams having not done any revision before the all nighter (as I was going to drop the subject) and scored a high B. So for some people it does work!

I actually find that in the morning after an all nighter I'm more alert and work better... so it might work for you. But as I said, if you haven't tried it before now isn't a good time to experiment! I can guarantee you'll feel absolutely awful in the afternoon. (You'll feel tired and slightly sick unless you take regular caffeine)

Latest