Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    work before exams = not good
    Thats why rather than going to lessons and having to do listen to my teachers waffle and do work , I can stay at home and do some light revision at a nice pace. It's mainly exam technique - nothing to hard - it won't affect my concentration in the actual exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gueirguiy)
    Ooh sports anime! You wouldn't happen to know of one that was broadcasted in the 90's and was based around football? It use to take them like 3 episodes to get to the other side of the pitch in a match, I can't remember what it was called though, proper nostalgic memories.
    http://www.animecrazy.net/aoki-densetsu-shoot-anime/

i think thats the one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingergooner)
    Haha. That sounds about right. I remember during the worst periods of coursework I was taking pro plus tablets and washing them down with full cans of relentless.
    Lmao good lad! I would fall into a diabetic coma if I consumed that much sugar and caffeine :p:

ReputationRep:
    Is it for an exam or something of a school nature? Then definately do not! I've pulled a few all nighters in my life e.g. parties, staying a friends house and talking the whole night, general insomnia i have from time to time :p: and all is well if you can get some sleep the next day. But you do feel a bit like crap come the day, makes you feel sicky and miserable lol so no, i wouldnt advise it if you have school the next day.

ReputationRep:
    I dont believe in it before ean exam - i think its best to aim to get everything done prior to the day before the exam, so you can spend thay day going overwork rather than overloading

ReputationRep:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO! dont do them...theyre gay...u need concentration. it bad for you , before an exam u need sleep, u know for memory recall and reasoning skills.

u pull off an all nighter to make you feel better about catching up with lost work.... but what happens is that when u do learn....its crappier and less helpful.

if you are doing an exam then...it worse coz u sacrifice brain power used to tackle questions, with some extra knowledge..that u will just just answer in a crappy way in the first place!

ReputationRep:
    All nighters ftw! I am going to be doing one tonight as i have a Geography exam tomorow I have 2 bottles of kick for later (Y)

ReputationRep:
    From 25th december 2009- 1st january 2010. Was living off red bull and i can't remember a thing about those days at all now

ReputationRep:
    Never before an exam no because I know I'd either fall asleep or just not be able to concentrate. Normally for assingments and stuff theres at least one a week.
    Time management isnt my thing :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Not before an exam, the only exam i didn't sleep before was when my flatmate slit her wrists. I've pulled loads of all nighters for essays and i am telling you if you're not getting on any better by 4 am you're probably screwed. It's best to do it with a mate, there is nothing worse than being alone with your laptop and 4 packets of jaffa cakes in the early hours of the morning, perfect recipe for tears and weight gain. But it sure feels nice at about six when its finished and you can get 2 hours sleep before you need to hand it in. My boyfriend and i spent an all nighter on our dissertations and that was just printing. It took all night to print two dissertations and then we had to sort out the title pages.

ReputationRep:
    You turn up tired for the exam, but you learn sh## loads if you work all night.
    And anyway... nothing a can of red bull can't solve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    Not before an exam, the only exam i didn't sleep before was when my flatmate slit her wrists. I've pulled loads of all nighters for essays and i am telling you if you're not getting on any better by 4 am you're probably screwed. It's best to do it with a mate, there is nothing worse than being alone with your laptop and 4 packets of jaffa cakes in the early hours of the morning, perfect recipe for tears and weight gain. But it sure fells nice at about six when its finished and you can get 2 hours sleep before you need to hand it in. My boyfriend and i spent an all nighter on our dissertations and that was just priniting. It took all night to print two dissertations and then we had to sort out the title pages.
    I didn't read what you said, but :teeth: :gah: - I think those faces explain everything.

I never pulled an all-nighter until last summer actually. Wasn't because I was revising, just because I felt like it. I've pulled about 2 or 3 all-nighters at university so far. They were for work :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by microfatcat)
    Well I haven't collapsed yet lol and it's half 4. I have drunk 2L of water though, should I be worried? :P
    It depends when you woke up the previous day...

Whenever I pull an all nighter, I wake up around 1pm-2pm, so in order to stay awake for 30 odd hours you'll need caffeine...

Be afraid, be very afraid...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I once pulled an all nighter to finish off me media coursework, handed it in on time for 4pm the next day and then fell asleep. Only to find out that I'd scored really badly on the last couple of pages. I really regret it now, as if I had had a bit of sleep and just woken up a bit earlier than usual, I could have scored a bit higher. I really would advise against it before an exam. Sleep is vital for concentration. I would suggest using the rest of today to revise, have a nice relaxing bath to relax your mind otherwise you will just panic yourself, have an early night, wake up earlier than usual tomorrow, get yourself ready, eat a good breakfast and then use your remaining time to revise the stuff you are unsure off. It is unlikely that by cramming you will get all the information anyway, or gets little bits and then confuse them in the exam.

I also did it again to do an English Lit essay as I got a pretty email from my teacher telling me he didn't think I was going to pass the course and that if I didn't hand this next essay in I would be thrown off the course. So not only did I have to read the book, I also had to do the essay :erm:.

ReputationRep:
    They're easy, long as you keep yourself entertained. It doesn't hit you until about 40+ hrs.

I pulled one last night for A2 English this morning....wasn't a good idea after an already sleep deprived weekend.

Couldn't concentrate and completely messed it up...meant to be getting an A* but my mind was wrecked

ReputationRep:
    I did an all nighter before politics unit 2 in june.
    wasn't too bad, but i wouldn't advise it. i felt disorientated during the exam, and kept on asking for water to make sure i didn't zone out. (it was my only all nighter through exams) i thought the exam went crap.. but turns out it didn't. still managed to perform well, but i must have just really known my stuff from before.

ReputationRep:
    Or know anyone that has? And did it work?

Desperate times calls for desperate measures. Need to know your thoughts and anecdotal evidence:o:
    Slept in a bush and a football ground
    Was a great 2 nights!

Just take warm clothes and do it in the summer!!!
    However this is not what you mean! haha

(Original post by xelarose)
    Is it for an exam or something of a school nature? Then definitely do not! I've pulled a few all nighters in my life e.g. parties, staying a friends house and talking the whole night, general insomnia i have from time to time :p: and all is well if you can get some sleep the next day. But you do feel a bit like crap come the day, makes you feel sicky and miserable lol so no, i wouldnt advise it if you have school the next day.
    Lol, just have. XD And I feel great, tbh.

(Original post by Ortega)
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO! dont do them...theyre gay...u need concentration. it bad for you , before an exam u need sleep, u know for memory recall and reasoning skills.

u pull off an all nighter to make you feel better about catching up with lost work.... but what happens is that when u do learn....its crappier and less helpful.

if you are doing an exam then...it worse coz u sacrifice brain power used to tackle questions, with some extra knowledge..that u will just just answer in a crappy way in the first place!
    Ooo-kaayy. I just *did* an all-nighter, for my 9am statistics exam, and I NAILED it. At about 2pm I felt groggy and was trying to revise chemistry, none of it would sink in. I don't feel tired, just... drained. And I'm going to bed at about 8 tonight.

(Original post by Stalin)
    It depends when you woke up the previous day...

Whenever I pull an all nighter, I wake up around 1pm-2pm, so in order to stay awake for 30 odd hours you'll need caffeine...

Be afraid, be very afraid...
    It's weird, everyone's advocating caffeine, but beyond 4 cups of tea (which doesn't have that much in anyway I didn't think) I was fine.
    Yeah, the day before it was Sunday, and I'd had about 10-12 hours sleep (mahoosive lie in, the night before I stayed up really late on TSR/watching Snow White and Cinderella).

ReputationRep:
    Lol, just have. XD And I feel great, tbh.

Ooo-kaayy. I just *did* an all-nighter, for my 9am statistics exam, and I NAILED it. At about 2pm I felt groggy and was trying to revise chemistry, none of it would sink in. I don't feel tired, just... drained. And I'm going to bed at about 8 tonight.

It's weird, everyone's advocating caffeine, but beyond 4 cups of tea (which doesn't have that much in anyway I didn't think) I was fine.
    Yeah, the day before it was Sunday, and I'd had about 10-12 hours sleep (mahoosive lie in, the night before I stayed up really late on TSR/watching Snow White and Cinderella).
    Glad to hear it went well

I got 2 hours sleep this morning before my afternoon exam so am starting to really feel the strain now... beddy times for me :p:

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.