Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think solicitors should be allowed to wear Wigs? Discuss... watch

ReputationRep:
    I believe they shouldn't be allowed to wear them. For hundreds of years they have been worn by QCs, Judges and Barristers but never by solicitors. Traditional British Court Dress is indeed about tradition, allowing them to wear wigs was an outrageous breach of an age long tradition and custom.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand why any of them have to wear wigs, but that's probably just my ignorance :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    no they shouldnt

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they should - but only because im not a fan of change (otherwise it makes no difference to my everyday life so i wouldnt care).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    no they shouldnt
    Justify?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because my brother is training to be a solicitor so I would say yes just so I can see what he looks like in one of those horsehair merkins.

ReputationRep:
    Is this a serious proposal? I don't know what the court dress situation is like in England - is this just a proposal for Solicitor-Advocates, or is it being suggested all Solicitors be allowed to wear wigs?

As for whether it should happen, no, I don't think it should. We should certainly get the Speaker of the House of Commons back in a wig though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    We should certainly get the Speaker of the House of Commons back in a wig though.
    Agreed.

In fact I've agreed with every post you've made this morning in UK politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Is this a serious proposal? I don't know what the court dress situation is like in England - is this just a proposal for Solicitor-Advocates, or is it being suggested all Solicitors be allowed to wear wigs?

As for whether it should happen, no, I don't think it should. We should certainly get the Speaker of the House of Commons back in a wig though.
    Well, they feel "discriminated against" and want the same "honours" than Barristers... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    But theyre not the same as barristers. Its not discrimination at all in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. The division between solicitors and barristers is decreasing in importance. Its time that the legal profession got opened up without enforced state privilege.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't everyone wear wigs? They're amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    I really don't understand why any of them have to wear wigs, but that's probably just my ignorance
    Apparently it intimidates working class people and instills respect for the Court.

I don't really think thats true, but anyway no, solicitors shouldn't be allowed to wear wigs, they should stop pretending they're at the bar and get back to work.

ReputationRep:
    I don't imagine it will be very long before wigs aren't worn anywhere except the high courts. And even then, they probably won't last forever.

We unfortunately seem to be forgetting and discarding many of our traditions and customs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Apparently it intimidates working class people and instills respect for the Court.

I don't really think thats true, but anyway no, solicitors shouldn't be allowed to wear wigs, they should stop pretending they're at the bar and get back to work.
    I totally agree with you!

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why anybody should wear a wig in court. Unless they are bald.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I don't see why anybody should wear a wig in court. Unless they are bald.
    1. Its a tradition.
    2. Its a symbol of authority.
    3. Its a symbol of prestige and achievement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rule Britannia!)
    1. Its a tradition.
    2. Its a symbol of authority.
    3. Its a symbol of prestige and achievement.
    It only originates from about 1660 so it's not that ancient. Not that I am an admirer of tradition for tradition's sake anyway.

Symbols of authority and prestige they may well be, but nobody really needs those and in fact, they were never designed as such - wigs were merely fashionable among the upper classes at the time and so were adopted for court use.

Courts do manage to function quite as well in places like France and the US without people showing up in fancy dress.

IMO it's high time Britain dragged itself into the 21st century and got rid of its Lilliputian attachment to buffoonery and baubles.

ReputationRep:
    I misread the thread title. I thought it said wings. In which case: yes they should.

Nobody should wear those wigs because they're goddamn stupid - but solicitors don't wear them because they work in offices, not in the actual court, when I'm going through a divorce I don't want to be consulting some nutter in a ridicilous wig.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.