Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think solicitors should be allowed to wear Wigs? Discuss... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Britain's Lilliputian attachment to buffoonery and baubles is what makes us Great. :hmmm: That's why I dislike the fact that we called the new "Supreme Court" the "Supreme Court". What kind of crappy (American!) word is "Supreme"? You could have just called it the "Law Lords". OK, it doesn't specify that it's in fact "a court" but it's way cooler. We should keep our wigs, they are awesome. And no solicitors should not wear them. They're special. I really don't have any justification for saying any of this other than that "it's just British" tbh.

Seriously it's the little things like that that make me love Britain. Even though all my reasoning tells me it's ******** :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Apparently it intimidates working class people
    This made me laugh :p:

ReputationRep:
    yes! wigs are fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Britain's Lilliputian attachment to buffoonery and baubles is what makes us Great. That's why I dislike the fact that we called the new "Supreme Court" the "Supreme Court". What kind of crappy (American!) word is "Supreme"? You could have just called it the "Law Lords". OK, it doesn't specify that it's in fact "a court" but it's way cooler. We should keep our wigs, they are awesome. And no solicitors should not wear them. They're special. I really don't have any justification for saying any of this other than that "it's just British" tbh.

Seriously it's the little things like that that make me love Britain. Even though all my reasoning tells me it's ********

Every great thinker has a bit of romanticism in him (or her, in your case.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Every great thinker has a bit of romanticism in him (or her, in your case.)
    :moon: That is true. I should allow myself this weakness.

Honestly though without it, what would we be? ******* Australia. And who wants that? There's a reason we have flags and military parades. Because without it naked, unattached patriotism is empty and crap.

:flutter:

ReputationRep:
    I honestly wish Barristers were allowed to wear bigger wigs, not as big as the long ones worn by judges but still, it should cover ones head and not rest on it i think.

ReputationRep:
    Do you find it rather strange when you see a black man with a wig.I know it sounds racist but it is like a black/asian knight ...
    Or a white with traditional geisha clothes ...

ReputationRep:
    What sort of wig are we talking about here? Toupé? Or one of those odd ones that the judges wear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rule Britannia!)
    I believe they shouldn't be allowed to wear them. For hundreds of years they have been worn by QCs, Judges and Barristers but never by solicitors. Traditional British Court Dress is indeed about tradition, allowing them to wear wigs was an outrageous breach of an age long tradition and custom.
    I think they should, it would teach people to respect their lawyers. In fact, I believe that we should bring back the 18th century wig! All English gentlemen should wear them. A lack of a wig should distinguish the proles and disgraced rakes from the men of good standing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Britain's Lilliputian attachment to buffoonery and baubles is what makes us Great. :hmmm: That's why I dislike the fact that we called the new "Supreme Court" the "Supreme Court". What kind of crappy (American!) word is "Supreme"?
    As I understand it, the first 'supreme courts' were created by the British in North America. Anyway, what are now branded as the Superior Courts in England and Wales, and in Scotland, had been using the supreme courts label for quite some time before all this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    As I understand it, the first 'supreme courts' were created by the British in North America. Anyway, what are now branded as the Superior Courts in England and Wales, and in Scotland, had been using the supreme courts label for quite some time before all this.
    Everyone knows anyone willing to piss off all the way to North America for anything isn't really British.

Anyway, regardless, it may be good enough for the colonies but I'd still like us to have something a bit more... posh. For our Highest Court In All The Land, like.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.