Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My hamster :( is it just old age? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I would let you all know, he seems much better! His eyes are all better and hes not so wobbly now and seems pretty much back to his old self! I am soo happy, really thought he wasn't gonna get better from it. Thanks everyone for all your comments and advice, really really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chez87)
    Just thought I would let you all know, he seems much better! His eyes are all better and hes not so wobbly now and seems pretty much back to his old self! I am soo happy, really thought he wasn't gonna get better from it. Thanks everyone for all your comments and advice, really really appreciate it.

awww im so pleased hes ok, thats great news

i think in honor of the good news you should post pics of the little cutie :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    awww im so pleased hes ok, thats great news

i think in honor of the good new you should post pics of the little cutie :p:
    Have never uploaded pics before but I'll try.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chez87)
    Have never uploaded pics before but I'll try.

awwww hes so cute

ReputationRep:
    He is LOVELY!!!! Reminds me of my little old hammie Honey - she was a nutter! xx

ReputationRep:
    My syrian hamster has gone through three tubes of eye cream twice a day and cleaning his stuck together eyes with cooled boiled water he hates it. it only helps until he sleeps again.. He 3 and sleep lots I think it is time to go to hamster heaven just rang vet to check. Don't want little guy suffering 😩

ReputationRep:
    My hamster is just over 2yrs. I thought he was just getting old and ready to depart. He was a bit unsteady on his feet and a bit slower and sleeping more so I didn't interrupt him as much, then in the last week noticed his breathing was different which made me think even more , old age and he hasn't got long. Just cleaned his cage and he can't really move his head which now makes sense, I have been taking his food to him and it looked like it was the biggest effort for him. I have noticed all damp and wet under his chin he looks and smells dreadful, it's like he is dying I am taking him to the vets in the morning is this old age? Please help put my mind at rest I can't sleep tonight

ReputationRep:
    Something similar happened to my Syrian, except it was over a long period of time. Her tummy started to grow and grow, which must've been a tumour as the rest of her was really thin. Her eyes got stuck together a lot and she was really wobbly - she was roughly 2 1/2 years. It could be due to old age, but if it came on really suddenly then there may be some other problem. Since your hammy is old, it wouldn't be surprising if the little one is more susceptible to illness

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is sad to lose a pet. Going by what you have said i would say his time is coming. I own a very large amount of hamsters and have pretty much got to know the signs. All hamsters are different but wobbly on the feet can definitely be a sign. Nearer the time some hamsters will feel quite cold. I usually hold them in my hands or place them inside my top just to try to give them some warmth. All you can do is keep checking him. I hope this helps. Im sorry for you when it happens.

ReputationRep:
    when that happened to one of my hamsters, i also cleaned their eye's with water.Firstly you should make sure he isn't dehydrated, try taking the drinking tube off of the cage and holding him in a position where you are almost bottle feeding him, (not on his back though, upright, so he doesn't choke, try that a few times a day and see how everything else does. If things get worse it might be a sign of cancer. (really common in hamsters) but with mine once i notice these signs after finding a lump they normally pass away quickly (so not suffering for long periods of time). You might want to get him to vet, they can diagnose him, It could be something as simple as low blood sugar. and help you treat him, or if you have too, get him put down so he doesn't suffer.

I know it's harsh and im sorry if I sound it. but if he really isn't doing well (breathing gets difficult, is walking round in circles (sign of stroke), or anything else like blood in wee or poop, you should probably get him put down. It's the kindest thing to do for him.

Take care

Zoe x

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone help me please I have a Syrian male hamster called Flump he is 2 years 1 month old he always full of fun loves to play and climb .. Last night he woke up really unbalanced falling over I tried to get him to do the monkey bar he could not do anything and the other day he was asleep on his back witch is not him at all just he is off I don't know if it's old age or maybe a stroke he's just sleeping has anyone got any ideas on what's happend or what I could do thanks I don't know if he has has a Stoke or old age am so worried

ReputationRep:
    My hammie is 1 year 11 months. She always sleeps and I have to wake her up to feed her. She won't come out of her bed to get food. I also have to feed her water from her bottle as she won't go to her bottle either by herself, it's really sad. If I just left her in her bed she would die. She's only eating fresh food not her Wagg Museli mix anymore. And she's barely eating very much fresh food.She's also pooing herself and I have to keep cleaning her with a baby wipe. Do you think I should take her to the vet? I really don't know what to do. I don't want her put down I'd rather her die at home with me as she's not in pain. 😓

ReputationRep:
    I have a teddy bear hamster, she's 2 years old. I noticed about a month ago that she started chewing on her plastic wheel and tubes in her cage. I read that it may be boredom so I increased activity with her. Extra time in her ball etc. For the past week or 2 all she does is sleep. She isn't active at night but seems to drink water more at night and also during the day. When I put her in her ball she doesn't roam anymore. She's very shaky and unsteady. What can I do to help her? Or is it just old age?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonia11111)
    I have a teddy bear hamster, she's 2 years old. I noticed about a month ago that she started chewing on her plastic wheel and tubes in her cage. I read that it may be boredom so I increased activity with her. Extra time in her ball etc. For the past week or 2 all she does is sleep. She isn't active at night but seems to drink water more at night and also during the day. When I put her in her ball she doesn't roam anymore. She's very shaky and unsteady. What can I do to help her? Or is it just old age?
    I've just looked at the previous replies and I swear this thread is where everyone comes to talk about their sick hamsters but not get any advice. Your hamster is getting old but if you want to give her a chance of getting better, take her to the vet. Nobody here can do anything for her.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.