Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've been doing an exercise using the product to sum formulae
    E.G. 2 cos A cos B = cos (A+B) + cos (A-B) and the others... its been fine upto now, but now I've got to a set of questions and they have completely stumped me.

One example is cos 75 cos 15. (Which = 1/4)
    I tried to do this the regular way, which was unsuccessful giving cos 90+cos 60 = 1/2.
    Then I made cos 75 into 2 cos 37.5, but that didnt work either.

I've completely ran out of ideas, can anyone help me with this question?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do with cos75cos15, but note that 75 = 45 + 30 and 15 = 45 - 30.

Also, you know that 2cos75cos15 = cos90 + cos60, so cos75cos15 is half that, i.e. 0.5(cos90 + cos60) = 0.25.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the formula:
     \cos A + \cos B = 2 \cos \left(\frac{A+B}{2} \right) \cos \left(\frac{A-B}{2} \right)

Now use: A+B = 150 and A-B = 30 and this should work correctly since cos 60 = 0.5 and theres an extra 0.5 in the formula.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bowlestown)
    Hi all,

E.G. 2 cos A cos B = cos (A+B) + cos (A-B) and the others... its been fine upto now, but now I've got to a set of questions and they have completely stumped me.

I tried to do this the regular way, which was unsuccessful giving 1/2[cos 90+cos 60] = 1/4.Then I made cos 75 into 2 cos 37.5, but that didnt work either.

I've completely ran out of ideas, can anyone help me with this question?

Thanks.
    fixed

ReputationRep:
    like you say, 2 cos A cos B = cos (A+B) + cos (A-B)

so  2cos75cos15 = cos (75 + 15) + cos (75 - 15)

so  cos75cos15 = \frac{( cos (75 + 15) + cos (75 - 15) )}{2}

= \frac{cos 90 + cos 60}{2} = \frac {1/2}{2} = \frac{1}{4}

you simply forgot about the "2" on the left

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bowlestown)
    Hi all,

I tried to do this the regular way, which was unsuccessful giving cos 90+cos 60 = 1/2.
    You didn't divide by 2.

2 cos 75 cos 15 = cos 90 + cos 60 = 1/2.

Edit: The latest thing. How many ways can we tell someone to divide by 2. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by div curl F = 0)
    Isn't the formula:
     \cos A + \cos B = 2 \cos \left(\frac{A+B}{2} \right) \cos \left(\frac{A-B}{2} \right)
    Those two formulae are equivalent, except different definitions of A and B. i.e. let P = A + B and Q = A - B in his formula, then your formula comes out in terms of P and Q.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    Those two formulae are equivalent, except different definitions of A and B. i.e. let P = A + B and Q = A - B in his formula, then your formula comes out in terms of P and Q.
    Right you are and it looks more useful in the form given by the OP but being set in my ways I always use it the less useful way :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all, as you can see I make small little errors haha. Ah well, i'm not very good at maths but keep trying! Thanks guys, will +ve rep.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.